Strange gear sound in amp? Need help

BriaN

I just installed a brushless combo into my amp,and it looks very fast compared to stock,
But I hear this clicking sound whenever I press the trigger. The website does not let me attach a video, so it is hard to describe the noise.
I have a fan on the esc, but there is still a sound coming for the backend of the truck.
Or is the truck supposed to Have a weird clicking noise when I press the trigger? My truck did not have this same noise when I had it as the stock motor and esc. Thank you for your help!

Brushless systems behave differently than the stock system. my brushless systems only made noise when the car started rolling and it was almost like it chugged forward a little bit but once rolling it was just fine.

Have you crashed recently? I smushed a tooth on my spur gear landing upside down on tar. Started making a clicking sound after that. Was barely even visible and took me a while to figure it out. Reshaped it with a razor blade and hopefully it'll hold out.

No, I did not crash yet with my amp, but I will try to upload a link ASAP! Thanks for you’re repsonses. Gearing is a bit confusing to me.

Here is the link to the video, sorry for the bad quality,
I have seen on other forums that maybe I have to loosen the slipper clutch?

Here is the link to the video, sorry for the bad quality,
I have seen on other forums that maybe I have to loosen the slipper clutch?

If your still running the stock plastic diff loosen the slipper a little. Check your pinion spur gear mesh make sure it's not too tight or too loose. Use the paper method to set mesh if you don't know how. As far as the whirring sound your brushless motor spins faster than your brushed so that's normal especially if you got a high kv motor (more rpms per volt).

Ok thank you, I did actually tighten the clutch a bit, cause I saw horizon hobby’s video an they said to tighten the clutch because the motor will get hotter than stock, so should I tighten it or loosen it?

If you don't know how tight it is now tighten it all the way and back 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turn. If the slipper is too loose its like pedaling a bike with the gears not fully engaged you keep spinning faster and faster but with no load that's all your doing pedaling faster and faster not going anywhere. With too tight of a slipper your putting more power to drive train there is not much slip much harder on the diff and drive shafts. So you have to find a happy medium between too loose or too tight.

Thanks, I watched a couple videos on the clutch and they said that it depends how you drive

Check the diff. I put a brushless in my 4wd ruckus and it destroyed my front diff. I rebuilt it with a new ring and pinion and no more noise

I set the gear mesh (hopefully right) with a piece of notebook paper and squeezed the gears together then tightened the screws. Then I slowly took out the paper. I made sure there was enough space between the pinion and spur, not too loose, not too tight.

Last edited:
BriaN, depending on what you want to do with your AMP will establish how you will set it up. I have the same truck and was melting spur gears at least once a week. I did everything from tightening the slipper to backing off 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns, didn't help. This was with the stock motor and my Castle brushless motor. I finely got smart and upgraded to hard steel spur and pinion. Problem solved! I also went to all steel differential gears and CV's. After further investigating, the heat created by the slipper clutch is now transferred to hard steel spur and out to the motor and air cooled unless you have a fan on your motor, which I highly recommend. By the way out of all my 24 RC's the AMP is my most favorite and has been clocked at 60 plus. It's a great truck when upgraded and easy to work on. Myself I like speed so I use Gen Ace 3S 7000 mAh 60/150C LiPo's in all my RC's. It took about two and half years to get where I'm at now and its worth it, and I'm 74 years old and still playing.

20170921_195724.jpg20171124_215634.jpg20170803_191616.jpg20170803_191648.jpg

BriaN, depending on what you want to do with your AMP will establish how you will set it up. I have the same truck and was melting spur gears at least once a week. I did everything from tightening the slipper to backing off 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns, didn't help. This was with the stock motor and my Castle brushless motor. I finely got smart and upgraded to hard steel spur and pinion. Problem solved! I also went to all steel differential gears and CV's. After further investigating, the heat created by the slipper clutch is now transferred to hard steel spur and out to the motor and air cooled unless you have a fan on your motor, which I highly recommend. By the way out of all my 24 RC's the AMP is my most favorite and has been clocked at 60 plus. It's a great truck when upgraded and easy to work on. Myself I like speed so I use Gen Ace 3S 7000 mAh 60/150C LiPo's in all my RC's. It took about two and half years to get where I'm at now and its worth it, and I'm 74 years old and still playing.

View attachment 4055View attachment 4056View attachment 4057View attachment 4058
Okay, thank you for all the information. I really like the look of your amp, and how you mounted the fan on your motor. But, from my video, what do you think that sound is? Someone said it was just the rattling of the bearings

Brian, I agree with KyleRC, brushless does have a different sound. A better demonstration of your video would be to give the truck some resistance instead of holding the rear in the air. Other then that I would recommend installing a metal differential as you may have a chipped tooth in the differential. One more thing I would do is to check the slipper clutch to make sure the pressure plates have not melted the motor housing as they get very hot.

hot-racing-super-duty-steel-48p-87t-spur-gear-2wd-ecx-hrasect887.jpghot-racing-star-drive-steel-cv-2wd-ecx-hrasect288x06.jpg2499.jpeg2422.jpegNorCalRaceWay.jpg2482.jpeg2480.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Back