STX2 versus DX2E

RonimusPrime

I just picked up the new Circuit w/LiPo, which also includes the new Spektrum RTR radio, the STX2. Since I also have a Boost with a DX2E, I thought I'd compare the two.

Physical Characteristics
First off the STX2 feels cheaper. It's lighter, and it's lacking the rubber grip of the DX2E. That said, the wheel is further forward, which I find to be better ergonomically. The wheels on the two transmitters are identical—plastic, lacking a foam grip. On the STX2, all the knobs and buttons have been moved to the top rear of the radio (think FlySky without the cover), leaving the wheel side free of things for my giant hands to bump and accidently adjust.

Features
This is where the STX2 is superior to the DX2E in many ways. For starters, there is a throttle rate knob, which is completely lacking on the DX2E. In addition to that, and one of the main reasons I chose an ECX RTR that specifically came with the STX2, there is a switch to limit your max throttle. It can be set at 50, 75, or 100%. This is a great feature, since I can just drop it down to 50% and let my 4yo drive all he wants, knowing he can't go fast enough to break it. When he gets more comfortable, I can bump him to 75%, and so on. The one weird thing—I can't really call it a negative, but your mileage may vary—is this radio uses the FHSS protocol, rather than any of the various DSM protocols Spektrum is known for. Considering Spektrum's newest upcoming radios are still using DSM, this one is really a head shaker to me.

Performance
Not much to say here. I have experienced no difference between the radios in my normal driving, but I haven't done any range testing or anything.

Thanks for the synopsis @RonimusPrime. Keep this thread updated with how it performs long term. Which would you prefer?

Which would you prefer?
You can probably tell from my comparison above that I'm conflicted on my preference. If I have to pick a favorite, I'd have to go with the STX2, but I really miss that rubber grip. I may have to come up with a fix for that...

You can probably tell from my comparison above that I'm conflicted on my preference. If I have to pick a favorite, I'd have to go with the STX2, but I really miss that rubber grip. I may have to come up with a fix for that...

Yes, that's why I asked. Also why I think once you test it for a while it will be good to hear your impressions. I suppose the point is likely moot though as I assume ECX is likely going the way of the STX2 for all of it's new or updated models.

If you really would like a nicer grip, you could try applying some tennis racket grip tape.

upload_2016-11-4_9-45-59.png

The AMP cars come with a transmitter that features a dualrate dial for throttle. Great for turning it down for beginners or children.

Also, check out "Lizard Skin" grip tape. They make the same stuff for bicycle handle bars (which I use and rather like) and baseball bats. Maybe even other sportsing rackets and implements.

I just picked up the new Circuit w/LiPo, which also includes the new Spektrum RTR radio, the STX2. Since I also have a Boost with a DX2E, I thought I'd compare the two.

Physical Characteristics
First off the STX2 feels cheaper. It's lighter, and it's lacking the rubber grip of the DX2E. That said, the wheel is further forward, which I find to be better ergonomically. The wheels on the two transmitters are identical—plastic, lacking a foam grip. On the STX2, all the knobs and buttons have been moved to the top rear of the radio (think FlySky without the cover), leaving the wheel side free of things for my giant hands to bump and accidently adjust.

Features
This is where the STX2 is superior to the DX2E in many ways. For starters, there is a throttle rate knob, which is completely lacking on the DX2E. In addition to that, and one of the main reasons I chose an ECX RTR that specifically came with the STX2, there is a switch to limit your max throttle. It can be set at 50, 75, or 100%. This is a great feature, since I can just drop it down to 50% and let my 4yo drive all he wants, knowing he can't go fast enough to break it. When he gets more comfortable, I can bump him to 75%, and so on. The one weird thing—I can't really call it a negative, but your mileage may vary—is this radio uses the FHSS protocol, rather than any of the various DSM protocols Spektrum is known for. Considering Spektrum's newest upcoming radios are still using DSM, this one is really a head shaker to me.

Performance
Not much to say here. I have experienced no difference between the radios in my normal driving, but I haven't done any range testing or anything.

To be technical you can change the throttle range on the DX2e, it is just a bit more complicated. You have to enter programming mode and reduce the throttle epa, it is also a good idea to set the epa for the steering(so your servo is not try to going past the max of the steering system)

In this video where he shows setting the throttle all the way up, that is how you set the epa for the throttle, you can set it anywhere between 0&100%.

I had my DX2E for 2 years before I knew it had these features.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back