Swapping out aluminium turnbuckles for steel.

Lee Morgan

I have an Amp buggy chassis that I building on right now. Mostly a project that I am doing one part at a time. Question is: where or who makes steel turnbuckles or rod ends that the ball socket doesn't come apart or is constantly getting sloppy ? Tired of the ones on Amazon that claim to be quality heavy duty ones. I am hoping to turn my project from buggy to a VW sand bug like back in the day.
Any ideas or opinions is very much welcomed.

I have an Amp buggy chassis that I building on right now. Mostly a project that I am doing one part at a time. Question is: where or who makes steel turnbuckles or rod ends that the ball socket doesn't come apart or is constantly getting sloppy ? Tired of the ones on Amazon that claim to be quality heavy duty ones. I am hoping to turn my project from buggy to a VW sand bug like back in the day.
Any ideas or opinions is very much welcomed.
Are you asking about the turnbuckles or the rod ends, or both?
Have you tried using the captured ball rod ends?
There are plastic and metal versions.

ssd00116.jpg

VW sand buggy sounds cool.

20210528_182018.jpg

20210528_182023.jpg

That is an awesome bug!! Nicely done! May I asked what you used for front and rear bumpers?
Thanks, but it really wasn't hard or special. Unlike @95PGTTech or @slick2500 builds.
The bumpers are the stock front and rear bumpers that came on my ECX Torment. I bought the cheap body already painted off of Ebay mounted it and slapped some stickers on it. I did trim it some to get it to sit right, as you can see the Torment has those side bumpers on it, they act as a shelf for the body to sit on, and not flap around.

The wheels and tires are actually cheap Ebay sets as well, that I am actually fairly impressed by. They are somewhat soft and fairly sticky and seem to last which is weird for being a soft compound on 3s.

Thanks, but it really wasn't hard or special. Unlike @95PGTTech or @slick2500 builds.
The bumpers are the stock front and rear bumpers that came on my ECX Torment. I bought the cheap body already painted off of Ebay mounted it and slapped some stickers on it. I did trim it some to get it to sit right, as you can see the Torment has those side bumpers on it, they act as a shelf for the body to sit on, and not flap around.

The wheels and tires are actually cheap Ebay sets as well, that I am actually fairly impressed by. They are somewhat soft and fairly sticky and seem to last which is weird for being a soft compound on 3s.
Mine isn't that special either and it just has one of those cheapo eBay bodies on it too.

Hi,
I picked up a set of suspension turnbuckles for the 2we Slash that were perfect size for my bug build.
My problem is the captured ball in the ends are so tight and stiff that I can't get them to move at all even after I kept greasing them with white grease and moving them around with a small screwdriver.
Could someone please give me some advice on loosening them up? I got them at my lhs and they were the last set in stock. They're the 3644. Perfect length and size for what I needed for my bug build. Really don't want to take them back because the store doesn't want to take back opened packages.
Sincerely Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back