Temper motor question (+video)

zezzz38

The only question I have for y’all is about motor behavior: does yours make that kinda shhhh-shhhh-shhhh-shhhh-shhhh-shhhh noise while moving forward? Very hard to describe it with words, but almost sounds like a stuttering. It runs fine, but the sound is definitely not smooth when compared to my summit 1/16 for instance. It is almost not continuous. And while holding it in my hands I can see the wheels moving in the same kind of fashion. It is subtle and happens more in forward compared to reverse, and on very low throttle though.

From all the youtube videos, it seems normal but hard to tell. Just want to make sure all is fine with my unit.

Here is a short video I made yesterday, nothing related to the above question, just for fun :)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info!
OK for the noise, but do you also observe what I would describe as a very minor "stuttering" on medium throttle?

Sorry to bother :)

OK. Did what you suggest and unfortunately it does not seem to be related to what I'm describing here :-(

However, I found something interesting: I installed the 19mm wideners. And while I had the wheels off, I figured I could try and see how it does. Well, no more stuttering!! Perfectly smooth! When I finished the install and put the wheels back on, stuttering came back! o_O
As I know nothing about RC cars, I am now wondering whether I'm tightening the whells too much? Or maybe a little play is required? But it seems that the wheels only are creating this... weird.

OK. Did what you suggest and unfortunately it does not seem to be related to what I'm describing here :-(

However, I found something interesting: I installed the 19mm wideners. And while I had the wheels off, I figured I could try and see how it does. Well, no more stuttering!! Perfectly smooth! When I finished the install and put the wheels back on, stuttering came back! o_O
As I know nothing about RC cars, I am now wondering whether I'm tightening the whells too much? Or maybe a little play is required? But it seems that the wheels only are creating this... weird.
Are they the stock wheels

Hey,

Yes they are. And I did this test again this morning and confirmed what I saw yesterday: without wheels on, everything spins smoothly. With the wheels on, it definitely makes a difference, it's not as smooth, vibrates more and stutter at times. But as everything is fine without the wheels (no load? no balance issue?) I guess that it has to be normal...

My amp has terrible wheel balancing from the factory. When I pick it up, the front wheels actually turn back and forth until the heavy side settles down.

Yes, this or / and a slop somewhere that translates into uneven rotation only when some load is applied. But watched some more videos and seems that it's perfectly normal. Gonna leave it here and enjoy the car as is because it has very good performance anyway :)

What I found on mine (same shhh shhh shhh sound and a "stuttering" low speed, really noticeable holding it in the air) was an axle pinion angle issue. I noticed that if I flattened out the suspension while running upside-down, the pinion angle improves, and the stutter/sound goes away. I was able to make some link length adjustments to bring the axle pinion up a little, and I no longer have that issue. There is a little slop in the locker also that contributes.

I hate to necro a thread but I had this same issue and found the same answer. My method was to extend the upper y link at the axle end by about 1/4 inch. That rotated the pumpkin just enough to allow the driveshaft a better angle. The Stuttering stopped.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back