The wait is over!!

WithinU

Santa did good this year, and my son is tickled to death, especially since I was good too and Santa brought me a similar truck to drive with him.
Didn't get much test time with them, but what little I did get, they are just what I wanted.
I did purchase 2 8.4v NIMH hump packs, I didn't realize at the time they were hump packs, but that's what you get when your in a hurry.
Yeah, I know they aren't lipo's, but baby steps.
I must say with the 7cells, and 8.4v, they hump right a long.
I have noticed a couple of things that need addressed, at least for me.
Mine is an older version, Gen 1? so to speak. It has insane front wheel walk when reversing. I also noticed on my sons brand new truck the steering is mediocre at best.
The front ends on these things are fairly light compared to the back. The radio steering end points are set to max, but the wheels don't turn very sharp.
You almost have to hit the brake to get the front end to drop to get it to turn easier.
Also the shock oil in the new one, must be very light oil, not much damping, need to tweak them some.
The cost and effort was well worth it. Upgrades to come. As will more questions.
Mine.jpgSons.jpg

The servo saver is pretty weak, but it's there for a reason...to keep stress off the servo gears.
Is the steering rate knob turned up all the way?
There is a RPM servo saver eliminator, but I'd hold off until servos give out. The saver eliminator will require a strong servo with metal gears.
Shock oil, ride height, shock position, battery placement, and tires will affect steering. Tweak them to your liking.

Have fun.
Get out there and throw some dirt!

Thanks for the reply HeavyBag, much appreciated.
Yes, in my original post I meant to say the steering rate is turned all the way to max, and the wheels still don't "look" like they turn much.
Do you happen to have a best guess at oil weight for general bashing and curb jumping fun? At least a starting point?
I did however purchase 2 sets of captured end links to install. This alone should help the used one, due to the stock plastic links not being straight anymore, they have a slight curvature to them, I never thought maybe I could heat them up and gently massage them straight again. LOL

8.4v nimh is fine it's what I had before I went lipo moving up from 7.2v nimh. But once I starting using lipo I have not really looked back. I still have some 7.2v nimh that I will throw in some of my slower rigs to loan out to slow things down a little.

I recommend getting a better servo that is metal geared and try the RPM SSE the steering will be improved. Try it on one Torment first. I run the RPM SSE on my Ruckus with a metal gear servo captured camber links and adj turnbuckle ball head toe links. The ball head links basically act as my servo saver in a hard enough crash they can pop off and I am fine with that saves other steering components from breaking.

Look at the rear end when driving it will have a tendency to drop down when accelerating then the front will lift up taking weight off the front. Now when you brake hard weight will be shifted less traction in the rear more weight toward the front and can create snap steer. You will have to play around with springs and shock oil weight to get where your happy with the way it handles. Pay attention to your suspension when driving what does the front and rear end do when accelerating and turning.

Experiment with one Torment and try one thing at a time until you see where you are happy with the way it performs and handles. I will tell you this though a better metal geared servo has never been a regret for me especially from stock plastic geared servos.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back