Things to do/check/change when buying a Torment (THAT YOU PLAN TO BASH THE SNOT OUT OF)

RampantRC

This is a list of stuff to take care of immediately after unboxing your brand new "RTR" Torment (probably applies to all other vehicles).

1. Buy a set of stainless fine thread screws for it. I think Dynamite makes the kit. Disassemble the truck & replace all of the stock screws immediately. You'll thank me later.

2. Disassemble the gear box and clean/regrease it using marine/aircraft grease.

3. Adjust the slipper clutch. I bought 2 Torments on the same day. 1 would snap driveshaft tabs CONSTANTLY while the other would not. 1 was too tight and the other was perfect.

4. Grab an extra set of of A-Arms/knuckles/hubs/caster blocks. Make sure they are RPM as their plastic is MUCH stronger. You'll need (8) 5x11x4mm bearings for the RPM pieces, too, if you do all 4 corners at the same time, which you should.

5. Adjust the tab tightnesd on your battery hold-down. Or ditch the battery hold-down altogether and pick up a velcro strap instead.

6. Stock tires are hard as rocks. A premounted set of Pro-Line Trenchers or SpeedTreads Breakaways (or other softer compounds) will vastly improve traction.

7. If your Torment comes with the Spektrum DX2E transmitter with the stickers on it, it's programmable. Set it up first, before ever turning on the ECS. There's a video for it here:

Look up RCOVERLOAD on youtube. Click on Playlists and watch his Torment videos. Very informative!

Feel free to add to this list if I missed something.

-Mike/RRC

Last edited:
Wow I was planing on buying one but nah I'll pass

Alot of that stuff is good to do, but not required. RCs are what you make of them though. The more care you put into them, the longer they last.

What @X said! With the exception of the slipper clutch, nothing in that list is essential for enjoying it. Those are things you will want to address when you move beyond the "holy poop these are fast" phase as a newcomer. If you've run RCs for years, sure you will take issue with those things right out of the box, but it's a testament to the fundamental quality of the Torment platform that this kind of RCer still buys it and then spends the same money again on making it better :)

My list is based on what we've learned & done since buying two of them on June 28th.

The RPM parts are better, which we learned by breaking stock parts, which happened because we didn't adjust anything before thrashing them.

The screw thing is simply because fine thread is better, and stainless is stronger and easier to spot when you drop a screw. :)

None of these things should stop someone from buying a Torment. But if you're going to beat the snot out of them like we do, they are all issues/solutions you will deal with. I like my Torment more than my X-MAXX & my Rustler VXL, if that helps anyone.

All of my RC'S run plastic and I beat them the only thing that I do buy when I purchase an Rc is the brushless set up that I want that's why I always buy a brushed rc, the aluminum is nice but in my opinion not needed that's just me but I will say you really do need to check the gear mesh right out of the box just so that you don't destroy the gear/gears

Owning the 2wd Ruckus, (95% same as Torment) my opinion on needed parts/mods. Not necessary right away, but upgrade as they break...

1. Brushless. I hate fighting brushed motors.
2. Replace CVDs with Hot Racing SECT288 CVDs. Zero issues in AMP and Ruckus.
3. Upgrade to metal geared diff.
4. Servo and RPM Servo Eliminator
5. Velcro battery strap.
6. T-Bone front bumpers. I have them on all of my vehicles. It shines most on my 4X4 Ruckus. Because that truck is crazy...
IMAG1501.jpg

This is a list of stuff to take care of immediately after unboxing your brand new "RTR" Torment .

7. If your Torment comes with the Spektrum DX2E transmitter with the stickers on it, it's programmable. Set it up first, before ever turning on the ECS. There's a video for it here:

-Mike/RRC

This video demonstrates end point adjustment INCORRECTLY! Initially, when trying to set end points on my Boost, I followed the intructions in the video. After several frustrating attempts, I contacted Horizon Hobby.

For setting the endpoint it is best to have the model on and ready, then with the radio start with the trim in the center before beginning the end point adjustment. Increase the endpoint right and then left, turning the trim clockwise until you hit the point the the servo stops.

So you DO NOT turn the trim knob all the way to the right as the guy in the video demonstrates. You only turn the trim to the point that the steering servo begins to buzz/strain and then turn the know back to the left just until the servo stops straining.

Members online

No members online now.
Back