Top Speed Check

dd71182

I was wondering if anyone knows of a cheap effective way to determine what the new top speed of my torment is. It started out as a 2WD brushed and stock Horizon is saying it would run 25 MPH off the stock electronics. I have upgraded to a Kinexsis 4000 KV brushless motor and ESC system along with the metal gears and I usually run it with a 4100 mAh LIPO battery. I also snugged down the slipper and the thing seems to fly now. I want to know what my new top speed is, any suggestions on how to measure that.

Last edited:
Cell phone GPS speed app. Strap your phone to your RC, and don't crash... :)

I actually use an "Extra" iphone 4 for my speed checks. I don't remember the exact app I have, but there are a bunch of them that will record the max speed.

Here is a video I did that shows the iphone in action - speed check at about 4:20 -

I was hoping to avoid strapping my cell to the back of the truck, but I didn't think about using an old phone. Thanks for the assist.

LOL....My wife swore if I strapped my new 900 dollar phone to the Ruckus that I would get "cut off".....hehehe, I suppose that means NO USE IPHONE/APP on my toy.(plus, so far...my high speed runs are unpredictable. 1/2 the time I wreck out)

I have had 4000kv set ups and it was in multiple cars all of which had top speeds at or above 40mph but below 45mph. I also never had them geared extreme usually for low temps. So if your truck happens to be geared for low temps and reasonable acceleration you should be around 40mph.

My Ruckus was running right around 40 mph with a 3930kv motor and moderate gearing for cool motor temps. I would take a guess that is where you are at. I was using an old phone with a cracked but usable screen until I recently got a Dynamite GPS unit that I found on Amazon Warehouse deals for $66. I expected some scratches or wear and tear, but it is in perfect condition.

I'll take a look at the GPS. I like that idea better than using a phone. I did get out this weekend and tried to get a speed run, but had a steering issue where the screws that hold the front hub on fell out. I think I got that fixed with some locktite. I think I'll take another crack at it next weekend

@KyleRC - I'm still running the stock gearing the only thing that was swapped was plastic for metal. Still need to upgrade the spur gear, but first I think I need to get steering and suspension squared away before I really dig into the gearing.

I'll take a look at the GPS. I like that idea better than using a phone. I did get out this weekend and tried to get a speed run, but had a steering issue where the screws that hold the front hub on fell out. I think I got that fixed with some locktite. I think I'll take another crack at it next weekend

If that was the shoulder screw that goes thru the C-hub into the axle carrier - the threads on the axle carrier strip out very easy. Once stripped, the shoulder screws pop out very easy. I switched to the ECX aluminum hub carrier, then lock-tite'ed the screws, and have had no issues since.

That's pretty much the plan, thinking of switching to Hot Racing set up with Traxxas turnbuckles out front already have RPM a arms.

My Ruckus was running right around 40 mph with a 3930kv motor and moderate gearing for cool motor temps. I would take a guess that is where you are at. I was using an old phone with a cracked but usable screen until I recently got a Dynamite GPS unit that I found on Amazon Warehouse deals for $66. I expected some scratches or wear and tear, but it is in perfect condition.
Are you guys saying ON 2s or 3s

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back