traxxas 12t motor crazy slow!?

Jeremytbeau

Hey guys, after a year down we finally picked up a motor for my sons Ruckus 1/10. Hobby shop only had a 12t so we went with that. My understanding is that it should be faster, but it’s actually slower. I clocked it at 11mph. I verified in the manual that the 12t motor is fine with the DYNS2210 esc. Not sure what else to look at. 2c Battery is charged btw

Less turns should be more top speed. Are you using the same pinion? Same tire diameter, same terrain, no other changes?

Check
New batteries in radio
Re-bind radio to receiver
Re-calibrate radio to receiver (if stop and full throttle positions are not set right you may not get full throttle power)
Check pinion to spur mesh
Remove motor and rotate drivetrain, check for binds
How hot on IR gun does motor get

If all that is good, more technical diagnostics
On bench, disconnect motor and put DVOM on +DCV and measure between wires coming out of esc. What are your readings at closed throttle, half throttle, and full throttle on the radio

Same everything, except the motor.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll run through these today. I did notice the drivetrain sounds a little loud, which goes away when I put downward pressure on the back side of the motor. This would indicate the pinion mesh was off. There’s no adjusting this from what I could tell.

Same everything, except the motor.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll run through these today. I did notice the drivetrain sounds a little loud, which goes away when I put downward pressure on the back side of the motor. This would indicate the pinion mesh was off. There’s no adjusting this from what I could tell.

One of the two motor plate screws is fixed, one is slotted for adjustment of the gear mesh and pinion changes. On my 2wd ruckus it is the lower one. It can feel like a fixed hole from buildup of grime and old loctite over time it may need to be cleaned out. It would need a huge amount of improper mesh to cost that much speed (like chipping teeth off spur gear bad) but it’s possible.

I’m not a betting man, but it sitting that long makes me think something bound up drivetrain wise or came out of calibration

I just pulled it open and you’re right. I never even took the screw all the way out so the washer was covering the slot. Now to set it properly.

One of the two motor plate screws is fixed, one is slotted for adjustment of the gear mesh and pinion changes. On my 2wd ruckus it is the lower one. It can feel like a fixed hole from buildup of grime and old loctite over time it may need to be cleaned out. It would need a huge amount of improper mesh to cost that much speed (like chipping teeth off spur gear bad) but it’s possible.

I’m not a betting man, but it sitting that long makes me think something bound up drivetrain wise or came out of calibration
Watched a few vids and checked the gear mesh. It was def a little tight.

So we noticed something. I could have sworn in testing in the house that it had more power yesterday. After a full charge today it ran pretty fast for 2 maybe 4 second runs down the street and now it’s slow again. I think I need to try another battery. I rode it around for maybe 3 minutes and the voltages are at 4.136 and 4.066. That second cell is always lower for some reason.

I guess this might explain the problem.

Crazy Eyes Meme GIF by MOODMAN

When I put the Titan 550 12T in my Ruckus it was pretty much the same speed as the stock Dynamite motor you couldn't tell a difference in just driving it around that it was any faster or not. If you want more speed go brushless something like a Hobbywing WP-10BL60 and a 3650 sized 3800kv motor.

Crazy Eyes Meme GIF by MOODMAN

When I put the Titan 550 12T in my Ruckus it was pretty much the same speed as the stock Dynamite motor you couldn't tell a difference in just driving it around that it was any faster or not. If you want more speed go brushless something like a Hobbywing WP-10BL60 and a 3650 sized 3800kv motor.

I agree, I went 12T and 3 pinion sizes and I think going from stock to stock with 2S 50c lipo was a bigger change. I had to put GPS on it to actually see if there was any difference.

Latest posts

Members online

Back