upgrade or buy another?

xlDooM

I have an Amp I share with my son. I went to the beach today and it was tons of fun. I managed to lose both screws that secure the spindle to the caster block, but I guess a good bashing session ends with something broken :p

However, it wasn't fast enough for the beach. All that open space, the potential for making huge sand ramps, it all made me want for more power.

So here's the dilemma, do I put a brushless combo in it for ~$75, or do I keep this as my son's basher (it's quick enough for the yard and the road) and treat myself to something more serious? I was thinking Arrma Kraton. That thing should be awesome on the beach.

I recently had the same question. I decided, and I suspect this will work for you as well, that my son should keep his Amp. Upgrade it for him when appropriate. Then get myself a new RC. I think you'll be happier if you each have your own rig to run and mod.

My son and I sorta doubled up. We built an AMP kit together, then picked up a RTR when my son said we "needed" to be able to race each other. Now I'm upgrading my truck a bit at a time, and keeping the parts as replacements for my son's. Pretty fun so far, as the AMP aftermarket is actually larger than I thought! Between the ECX hop ups, Hot Racing, and compatible parts from other companies (Associated and Traxxas, mostly) I've found a ton of cool stuff. I am eyeballing an Axial Wraith pretty hard, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt...

So 1 for each then. Well I got some time to decide, Arrma is coming out with a new revision of the Kraton where they changed the ESC (again) and the wing mount, which are the only two gripes reviewers had with it so... By the time it hits the shelves I need to know. And I need to have the wife's clearance or a pile of hidden cash.

Also Smokestack I like how you have 2 amps so you can race each other, and then you upgrade yours just to make sure you keep winning :D motor racing is all about bending the rules

Ha! I'd never do something like that. Nope...:p I figure he'll be beating me at most things soon enough anyway, although his definition of "racing" is basically having us both blast around at the same time. He's turning 5 this year.

In truth, all the upgrades I've done so far have been chassis, suspension and drivetrain; still running the bone stock motor, radio and ESC. Getting ready for when / if I do go brushless.

Voting buttons?
Anyway, id say gift your boy the AMP and upgrade as parts break, perhaps if you want him to be ok with Dad getting bigger and better you can throw in a new body for him to enjoy.. then blackmail his upgrade parts with chores around the house? heh.
Now you can relax and choose which new baby you want to buy.

Lol make him pay for upgrades, I like that. I showed him the Kraton and he doesn't like the monster truggy looks though, so that's good. At least he'll still think he has the cooler truck.

I dragged the wife to the hobby shop and she didn't flip out so I'm guessing she's got an indulgence planned for herself and she's gonna let me have the kraton as compensation.

Latest posts

Members online

Back