46mph ROOST 1/18

Rc4lyfe33

So me and my father purchased the ecx roost about 2 months ago. We had fun with them at first but wasnt happy with the power/speed. Out of the box they do 14mph it got old real quick. so we started tinkering. I'll list our first mods ending with the final product.
  1. we first got ruckus 1/18 truck wheels as the roost wheels were too small and dinky imo. They Helped out a lot off road, and bigger tires increased speed slightly.

2. upgraded the batteries to 2s lipo as the esc can handle them which some people don't know. The batteries we are using is 2200mah 7.4v 2s lipos. That helped some. At this point I would say we got about 20mph out of the roost if that. But that didn't last long as the brushed 380 motor would overheat and ended up going bad after only a few runs with the lipo. I then upgraded the motor to a traxxas Titan 380 brushed 18turn. And changed the pinion gear to 18tooth. Also got a heat sink with fan. I wasnt happy with the results. Might of got 25mph out of it.

3. Brushless 7200kv combo with program card and flysky transmitter and reciever. 16tooth pinion, stock 60tooth spur. I also put a Wicked turbo fan to help cool the motor as it does run hot. Best upgrade I could of done. This thing is crazy fast and soo fun to drive. I took it to a local indoor track and everyone was impressed with the speeds.

4. Got a few different wheels for the roost. Street tires by Apex 1/10 road tires. And some soft compound buggy tires which works great on carpet/ dirt and on road. Besides the brushsless kit and tires this roost is stock.
Summary. I can say that I haven't had any serious issues with the roost even with all the power it has. I have ran about 10 lipos through it and still going strong. I do plan to upgrade to full sealed ball bearings and aluminum shocks. I will update the top speed soon. The new all terrain buggy tires are taller and balloon so I'm thinking I can hit 50mph easily

20180413_235542.jpg 20180324_002723.jpg 20180330_172306.jpg 20180414_000023.jpg 20180331_220704.jpg 545270840.jpg

Thanks Woodie! My dad has the 7800kv set up on his. We might be taking them out later today. I want to see what his top speed is.. I'll take some pics.

Sounds like a fun project!

Awesome job! Can you do an update to what its like present day?
It's been a long time since I have logged into this site but just got a 1/10 Ruckus 4x4 BL recently for a steal so I'm back lol. I still have my roost and still take it out every now an again. I did blow up the front diff at 1 point which I replaced and I did replace the shocks with the aluminum upgrade and installed the sealed bearings kit. Running the same setup as when I first posted. No other major issues. I'm really happy with this build. You can find rollers on ebay every now an again for cheap too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back