Boost / AMP DB parts swap possible?

Wetworth

I am looking to get a buggy as a first RC for my 5 year old. He likes the buggies over any of the trucks and I ended up looking at the AMP Dune Buggy and the Boost. ECX seems to have the durability I want, and the 20T motor will keep speeds down for him to learn on. Problem is, the two cars have parts that I'd like to combine, but I'm not sure if they are compatible. It looks like the DB has larger wheels that give it more ride height. I'd just get the DB but I'd rather not have the ESC/receiver combo. I'd also like to be able to run some Lipos right out of the box, for the extra run time. On the other hand, the DB seems to have a smaller radio with dual rate for the throttle whereas the Boost does not.

So my question is: can I outfit a Boost with the D/R radio and wheels from the AMP Dune Buggy?

You need the ESC/RX combo to use the D/R radio. The Spectrum RX in the Boost will not bind to the D/R radio. The wheels from the AMP will fit on the Booth, they both have 12mm wheel hex, and are 2.2 wheels. Just an FYI, the AMP is built off the Circuit chassis.

Thanks for the help. I'm leaning towards the AMP DB at this point, I guess I'll head on over to that section of the forums.

The Spektrum DX2e is nice to have, and I don't think you get it in the Amp, for what it's worth. On top of that, the Boost ESC is LiPo ready. The Boost is fully ROAR approved so with a ROAR-legal LiPo and an approved 17.5 brushless down the track he can go club racing if that's something you want to explore. Most of the parts should be pretty compatible cross-platform and if you ever want to put a Circuit body on the Boost it's just a couple different mounting posts and you're away (though for the price you might as well buy them with the towers, as they tend to come on eBay).

I'm a bit of a Boost evangelist, personally. And the seperate ESC/Receiver combo means that you can even take bits and pieces from it to your next car if (God forbid) you ever get tired of the Boost.

TL;DR, better (and seperate) TX/RX in the Boost, race-legal, can take a Stadium Truck body if you'd ever like to try a different class with minimal modification. I feel like the Boost is both more serious and more forgiving; if you can stretch the extra dollars it'd definitely be my choice. Although the AMP buggy body looks nice.

Edit: This thread is an example of a member already hitting the limits of the stock Amp system. Going Boost can save you money in the long term.

Last edited:
I'm with you, @Aiden I love my Boost. However, the AMP MT and DB are actually Circuits with cheaper electronics. The MT is even closer considering that it already has the truck body mounting posts. :)

Oh, I know that in the long run the ECX AMP will cost a bit more. But for a 5 year old, I don't have to worry too much about performance. I'm more concerned with versatility and durability. If it were just for me, I'd agree wholeheartedly. I think I'm going to pick up a good multi charger and some larger Nimh batteries so there isn't a lot of down time, and just let him beat the crap outta it. :)

For a younger child, the AMP radio, with its separate throttle dual-rate dial, is fantastic. You can slow it down to almost a crawl. Perfect for learning!

I feel like a caveman in a way. I bought a Jato because nitro was the only way to have little downtime 10 years ago. All this new tech and features is great. It's such a great hobby, entertaining and educational at the same time.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back