Brushless time

Batone76

Trying to upgrade my 1/10 torment 4wd to brushless. Have 19 pinion gear and a castle 3800kv motor. It now makes a whining noise when its together is this normal it never made this noise when is was stock. Im assuming the mesh is good and i think the slipper clutch isnt too tight. The spur gear is plastic and the pinon is metal!

When you say whine, do you mean a high pitched electronic while? I assume you hear this most when getting going or at low speeds? If so, it's not uncommon.

When you say whine, do you mean a high pitched electronic while? I assume you hear this most when getting going or at low speeds? If so, it's not uncommon.
No the noise happpens if the vehicle is going slow or fast.. is it possible that the spur gear can be put backwards

Could anyone shed some light on this set up? I am wanting to go brushless. I would like the motor and the ESC to cost a total of 100 dollars or less. I would like waterproof, 2s Lipo, maybe 3s but I think I will stick with 2s. I would like mid to top end speed. I do not want a wheelie machine. I intend to swap out all plastic parts with metal. Oh and this is on my ECX 2wd Torment. Anyway, what do you guys think of this motor and ESC combo. Thanks,
http://www.horizonhobby.com/KXSS050...1nUvo9Rc27bmMiAqgBNJ7uJtH1AON9JIygxoCQrnw_wcB

Could anyone shed some light on this set up? I am wanting to go brushless. I would like the motor and the ESC to cost a total of 100 dollars or less. I would like waterproof, 2s LiPo, maybe 3s but I think I will stick with 2s. I would like mid to top end speed. I do not want a wheelie machine. I intend to swap out all plastic parts with metal. Oh and this is on my ECX 2wd Torment. Anyway, what do you guys think of this motor and ESC combo. Thanks,
http://www.horizonhobby.com/KXSS050...1nUvo9Rc27bmMiAqgBNJ7uJtH1AON9JIygxoCQrnw_wcB
Could anyone shed some light on this set up? I am wanting to go brushless. I would like the motor and the ESC to cost a total of 100 dollars or less. I would like waterproof, 2s LiPo, maybe 3s but I think I will stick with 2s. I would like mid to top end speed. I do not want a wheelie machine. I intend to swap out all plastic parts with metal. Oh and this is on my ECX 2wd Torment. Anyway, what do you guys think of this motor and ESC combo. Thanks,
I would do a 3800kv brushless set up on 2s .and metal parts depending on what your gonna upgrade can get bent and twist and get weak over time. Rpm has good parts and plastic are easy to replace . Shop around check websites like tower hobbies or dollar hobby. Or even ebay ..

I have both the 3000Kv and 4000Kv Kinexis systems. The 4K is in my AMP Buggy and the 3K is in my son's Ruckus. The 4K is noticeably faster but is a wheelie monster. That said, my buggy is crazy light so it's not hard...

The Ruckus has MASSIVE tires on it, so it does wheelies all day. But it wasn't quite as bad when it was geared down with smaller tires.

That said, both have been really good combos. I'm surprised at how well they've held up. Here's a pic of my son's Ruckus and a pic of my buggy after a collision into a wall...

And a video of the AMP Buggy.

IMAG1598.jpg IMAG1299.jpg

I have both the 3000Kv and 4000Kv Kinexis systems. The 4K is in my AMP Buggy and the 3K is in my son's Ruckus. The 4K is noticeably faster but is a wheelie monster. That said, my buggy is crazy light so it's not hard...

The Ruckus has MASSIVE tires on it, so it does wheelies all day. But it wasn't quite as bad when it was geared down with smaller tires.

That said, both have been really good combos. I'm surprised at how well they've held up. Here's a pic of my son's Ruckus and a pic of my buggy after a collision into a wall...

View attachment 1110 View attachment 1111
How does your son like the Ruckus? My son has a Dominus and it has a metal chassis and it breaks everytime we go out. I am thinking of getting him a Ruckus. My Son is 11 and loves bashing.

My son hasn't broken it much, but I have. It's taken a lot to get to where we're at with it. My son is 5 so yeah...

I upgraded the entire drive train to steel, put 17mm hex adapters on it, 1258TG Turnigy servo, RPM servo saver eliminator, Hot Racing HD Big Bore shocks (stock couldn't handle the massive 6" tires), and steel spur and pinion. Also, T-Bone bumpers.

It's not a $170 truck any more. The tires (3.8 ProLine Shockwaves) were $90. Lol.

But... it's crazy fun! And very easy to work on.

View attachment 1110 View attachment 1111
Looks like fun ! My son has a ruckus Monster truck and my brother inlaw has a short course truck they had a head on collision and the short course truck lost its complete front end and my cars was fine just jammed a a steering turn buckle. .

Attachments

• 20160827_202735.jpg
    20160827_202735.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 8
Looks like fun ! My son has a ruckus Monster truck and my brother inlaw has a short course truck they had a head on collision and the short course truck lost its complete front end and my cars was fine just jammed a a steering turn buckle. .
Here is another great picture of the short course truck

Attachments

• 20160807_112332.jpg
    20160807_112332.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 15

I have the 4000kv Kinexis system in my Amp MT and I haven't been able to get it to wheelie at all :(

Do I need to change my gearing? Right now it is 17/87.

I have the 4000kv Kinexis system in my Amp MT and I haven't been able to get it to wheelie at all :(

Do I need to change my gearing? Right now it is 17/87.
You can try getting it down. It's very possible and probable that motor simply doesn't have enough torque. Remember comma higher speed means less work. And torque is what's going to get those front wheels off of the ground.

So yeah, play with the gearing. But if your truck is heavier and you're trying to get wheelies out of it, you may wear down your spur gear faster.

How does your son like the Ruckus? My son has a Dominus and it has a metal chassis and it breaks everytime we go out. I am thinking of getting him a Ruckus. My Son is 11 and loves bashing.
My son is 16 and we put the truck through some crazy bashing and it holds up just fine its brushless with some steal rear cvd's and some rpm turnbuckles but pretty much everything else is stock has the proline trenchers on it too

My son hasn't broken it much, but I have. It's taken a lot to get to where we're at with it. My son is 5 so yeah...

I upgraded the entire drive train to steel, put 17mm hex adapters on it, 1258TG Turnigy servo, RPM servo saver eliminator, Hot Racing HD Big Bore shocks (stock couldn't handle the massive 6" tires), and steel spur and pinion. Also, T-Bone bumpers.

It's not a $170 truck any more. The tires (3.8 ProLine Shockwaves) were $90. Lol.

But... it's crazy fun! And very easy to work on.

I take it you have been working on RC cars for a long time by the upgrades you have made to your Ruckus. For someone just getting into the RC Car/Truck world, what advice can you give for learning how to troubleshoot or fix a problem or simply wanting to upgrade? I don't want to keep running to the local hobby shop every time something breaks. My 5 yr old has the Ruckus too but his is stock and I have a ECX Circuit.

Don't be afraid of the unknown. If it's broken already, it is pretty hard to break it more.

While there are a few parts, they are simple in comparison to actual cars.

I go to the local hobby store if I break stuff and can't find stuff at the local hardware store. Lost screws or nuts have me going to the store and picking them up there for in a pinch stuff. I had to get a screw and saw of 1/4 inch due to it being too long. The next size down was too short.

Buy parts that you constantly replace. I bought a few dozen wheel nuts, they kept falling off until I put on axial nuts and ecx aluminum hexes.

Had to lock tight the bolts going to the aluminum wheel hubs, that got rid of a lot of slop in the wheels. Just need a couple of spacers.

Next purchase will be bearings and screws. Just in case I lose them.

I take it you have been working on RC cars for a long time by the upgrades you have made to your Ruckus. For someone just getting into the RC Car/Truck world, what advice can you give for learning how to troubleshoot or fix a problem or simply wanting to upgrade? I don't want to keep running to the local hobby shop every time something breaks. My 5 yr old has the Ruckus too but his is stock and I have a ECX Circuit.

Best thing you can do is get the manual/ exploded view for your RC and learn it inside and out. That way, when you get a failure or broken part you have some insight as to what you need to do to correct it. Troubleshooting is all about taking things one at a time and logically going through the process. Never be afraid to take apart your RC as it is the only way you'll learn. Worst comes to worst, jump on this site and post your questions. We have many talented people on here who are more than willing to help.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back