Can gear mesh cause motor temps to rise?

Could bad gear mesh cause the motor to get hot fast? Also how do I know if I'm under geared or over geared?

Yes it can. If too tight it can cause alot of friction, making more effort for the motor to turn. Both over gearing and under gearing can also cause overheating, but in different ways. Over gearing will cause your RC to have a harder time reaching higher speeds, due to more torque needed. Under gearing will reach peak RPM quickly, and be useless after that.

The temperature of the motor itself will be your best guide to gearing. Run a couple of minutes and touch your finger to the motor can: can you you hold your finger there comfortably for 5 seconds or longer? Yes? Drive some more. Retest. If the motor is too hot to touch after 5-10 minutes, switch to a pinion that is 2 teeth smaller. Retest.

What type of motor are you using? Can you tell us what gearing you're using?

First, the a 45t and 12t spur and pinion doesn't sound right. They are both so small that you'd never get the pinion and spur to touch! :) The stock spur should be 87 teeth (with a 48 pitch). I've also read that UNDERgearing can cause motor overheating. If you are indeed running a 12t pinion, I'd try going up a couple of teeth to 14, and maybe even 16.

Here's a great video showing how to set proper mesh.

Let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back