ECX Temper rock crawler

Juanmarteen

Been eyeing the Temper at the LHS - I'm curious how they perform compared to more "scale" style crawlers if anyone has seen them run on the same course.

I really want a crawler for around the house. I've got a backyard that would allow a small course and still give room for my daughter to goof off (might be able to wrap it around the front if I call it "landscaping").

@Juanmarteen the ECX Temper isn't going to compete with the big guys but if you're looking for something to play with around the house it'll make a fine crawler. Suspension travel is actually rather impressive for how small it is, though not all that fast at all. Then again, if you're indoors you don't really want a speed demon.

I have been looking at this crawler also. If anyone has any information it would be most appreciated. Im not looking to do any competition. Just something to walk around the woods with. I also have a small creek by the house that i can run it

Thanks Woodie - I may have to pick one up for in the house/daughter use (she's only 19 mo., but already into cars). I think I might want something a little bigger for outdoors.

Thanks Woodie - I may have to pick one up for in the house/daughter use (she's only 19 mo., but already into cars). I think I might want something a little bigger for outdoors.

I have a couple micro RCs that me and and my 3 year old drive around the house. Great way to get them into the hobby.

Juanmarteen check out www.rcgroups.com they have 4 reviews about the ecx temper sorry I can't copy and paste the site I'm on my phone and don't know how to do it

Last edited:
Dropping hints to the wife, since the ol' B-day is coming up... Not sure how she'd take it if I bought it for her as an Anniversary present.

I'm having a blast with mine. Getting ready to look up the parts I need to go four wheel steer. I'm hoping to have it done before the weekend. Can't wait to post the outcome.

Hope you and Mark are getting yours soon. Wonder if a main carries it. Saw the post WoodiE put up of some coupon codes. Might want to check that out

I have to admit, I've been waffling between the Temper and the Exceed MaxStone 1/10th because they're about the same price on Amazon. With my birthday gift card, I'm placing my order for the Temper tonight.

Mainly because I think I'll have more fun using and modding this one. I like larger rc's in general, but I feel like there are more resources available for these crawlers at this scale. I'll build a bigger crawler later...

What I liked about the Temper is that I didn't have to order it. I was able to see it and touch it before deciding and take it home with me. I don't think I will buy a vehicle full on blind. But if the price is right, I might consider. Would just have to invest time researching part availability and support. I'm having a blast with ours and I've only got to enjoy one rock session since purchasing a week ago. Only been messing around with it in the house, and pulling it apart looking for ways to deform it. Much value was added when Mark showed us the video of the maxstone 4 wheel steer mod. All my parts should be here Monday. I'm so excited for it that I'm taking that day off!

Plus, I think there's a cool factor when you have something so small and it functions just the same as the bigger ones that often are considered obnoxious which is why you can't play on just anyone's land anymore without security harassing you. That's what attracted me to the Losi Mico line. "What! It really goes that fast?" or "Nice jumper". Me and my son got a pass to play when security stopped. Said normally they don't allow rc cars out there, but "Oh, that's just a toy, carry on". But Mythbusters get to crash 18 wheelers and stuff there and Mercedes or BMW can have autocross track days . Haters.

But just like you said, could always build the big one later. $129 is a nice "Trial" price I think. Being a former speed freak, I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy crawling speeds. But what do you know, I do. And I didn't go broke finding out. In a month or two my son will be sole owner of the Temper cause dad's gonna have that K5 on the bench soon.

Last edited:
This man has his priorities where they should be! :D
Yeah, I've been killing myself here at work. We've been going through some major changes, growing pains and such that if I don't try to burn some of this vacation, I'm gonna turn inside out! We started a power turn rebuild campaign that's taking the toll on this young body. 3 guys, 30 man hours, twice a week, and each project cannot start until 2 hours before MY normal quitting time due to operational need. Never in my working life have I gone 9 months without burning a single vacation day. Its usually depleted in the first 6. I think it is time to finally burn one...;)

Thanks for letting me vent @X and @Juanmarteen for hijacking your thread, and everyone else here for reading my crap. So glad I found a place to share the enjoyment I've been having with this little animal.

Last edited:
If I had received cash, I would be on my way to the LHS to avoid the wait time. Touched one (Temper) there, but didn't get to play with it. I did do a bit of online "research" on both as well-and found lots more non-repetitive info on the Temper and related rigs...

Thanks for letting me vent @X and @Juanmarteen for hijacking your thread, and everyone else here for reading my crap. So glad I found a place to share the enjoyment I've been having with this little animal.

I look at RC ( and other hobby) forums as a bit of a support group for our sickness. An addiction to RCs. Done right, these forums almost become like an extended family. So vent as much as you deem fit. You'll usually find others here who understand what you got going on.

Members online

No members online now.
Back