Fried another ESC why

Aero1987

I just got a 120a ESC and just fried it in less than 5 mins what is really going on I geared it down too 85t spur gear and A 20t pinion the motor didn't get hot and the ESC didn't get hott either it just started smoking .... I don't get why it started smoking the fan still works and the steering but won't move forward or backwards this will be my 3rd ESC.... Is my 3s lipo battery too stong for the esc??? It's a ArrowRC PRO LIPO 11.1v 5200mAh 50C and I have two 2s battery's one of the 2s is a venom 7.4 5000mAh 25c and a 2s powerhobby PRO LIPO 7.4 5200mAh 50c.... So is the 3s LIPO battery to strong????

You fried your other esc's because they had to low of a amp rating for use on 3s. This one you had probably got a bad esc the Ocday and Goolrc esc's can be hit and miss. The frying of your other esc's was your fault having to low of amp for what the motor pulls on 3s. This one you ran into some bad luck and are the member of the miss club. The Goolrc and the Ocday esc's don't really have a warranty so if something goes wrong with one of them you are sol. I have only fried one 60a Ocday only because it got a little wet and was not waterproof like it claimed. I have a Ocday 80a in a Rustler running a 4300kv motor on 3s it does fine no problems so far. I have quite a few cheap esc's (Ocday, Goolrc etc.) and really only had a problem with a couple. Take a chance when you buy cheap.

It was a cheap ESC I have a 120a goolrc coming in the next couple of days.

Screenshot_20180725-182515.png

This is the one I have coming this one shouldn't burn up.

Screenshot_20180725-183400.png

I'd suggest staying away from escs with capacitors out on small wires like that. It really hampers the performance of the already under spec caps. Ive gotten in the habit of soldering on 2 470uf caps as close as I can to the esc, to help out some. Then I install a bec for the steering servo to take some stress off it. I've had good luck so far, even in the water with 2 goolrc and 1 ocday escs. I could just have been lucky though, and did all that for nothing. I may never know. Also, I read somewhere a while ago for the initial run of these cheap escs to use a lower voltage battery. I use an old 8.4v nihm, then go to 3s. Don't really know why that would make a difference, but I do it anyways. And one more point, that blue sensored one you fried, is programmed by the hobby wing led program card, in case anyone was wondering

I did program it with the hobby wing led programer

Okay thank you should I program it with hobby wing led programer when I get it and make sure it's set for lipo battery

Okay just ordered a lil gray goolrc programmer

I will be getting my 4wd brushed ruckus tomorrow and I'm going put a brushless combo in it

With the Goolrc/Ocday 80a and 120a esc's you need to remember to hold the power button down the whole time while programming.

Okay thank you I would have for got about that

What are the best settings to set the ESC so I don't burn this one up too I have spent alot of money on this 2wd truck

What is a good brushless and ESC combo to put in my 4wd ruckus

What are the best settings to set the ESC so I don't burn this one up too I have spent alot of money on this 2wd truck

Unless there is a manufacturing defect you will burn up your current motor before the esc. I change the reverse force and brake force otherwise i keep the default settings it all depends on what motor and battery I use to change some of the settings.

What is a good brushless and ESC combo to put in my 4wd ruckus

I run in a lot of grass so in a 4wd I like 3660 sized brushless motors you will need 5mm pinions though. As far as combos depends on how much your willing to spend.

I have a 4000kv tazer and a 3300kv tazer brushless motors already and a 3s 5200mAh 50c 11.1v pro lipo battery

Is that 3s battery too strong for my ESC that I got from goolrc

For those that may read this thread just I just want to share a pic of a 120a Goolrc esc to show it's not waterproof.

fgz882W.jpg

Is that 3s battery too strong for my ESC that I got from goolrc

As I said before unless there is a manufacturing defect that esc will be fine for your use. Your battery is capable of providing a lot of amps but the esc will only deliver to the motor the current it demands per given voltage. Say your battery is able to deliver 200amps that does not mean the esc will push 200amps into the motor if it does not need it this is why you fried your 45amp esc's the motor needs more current (amps) but the esc could not provide the current (amps) the motor wanted. The esc works like a conduit and regulator for power to the motor. The power is there in the battery but the esc regulates the power.

I have a 4000kv tazer and a 3300kv tazer brushless motors already and a 3s 5200mAh 50c 11.1v pro lipo battery

Use the 3300kv in the 4wd and the 4000kv in the 2wd. If you want less heat you are going to have to move up in size with your motors or use smaller pinions if you are going to consistently run 3s.

I have two 2s battery's as well so I may run those in my 4wd

2s no problem 3s you will be looking into more problems and headaches as you are finding out now with your 2wd Ruckus.

Latest posts

Members online

Back