Had it a week and may have broke the rear suspension arm?

rambisetr

So I've had my Ruckus a week and last night my 6 year old was chasing it on and off and decided to run at it while I had it opened up on pavement. She tried to jump but the rear left wheel caught her and now the rear suspension arm (part 24 in the manual) has one side no longer in the hinge pin (part 19) on the chassis side that attaches, not the wheel end. It doesn't look like anything broke...the arm looks fine and the hole has all the plastic and the pin is still holding one half the arm to the chassis. I started disassembling to try to fix it but had about 8-10 screws out when I decided I didn't have enough time and may have been disassembling wrong. How do I get to the pin for this arm? Is there a lot of dis-assembly required or am I missing the easy way? I'd rather not have to drive in to my LHS.

I dug deeper into it this evening and still can't get to the pin. Is it as simple as removing the tiny hex screw on the end to pull the pin out and re-insert it through the hole in the suspension arm? I can't seem to see any other way. I still don't see any damage and have NO idea how I got the truck to this condition without something breaking. And where do I find that tiny of a hex wrench?! I'm still going to end up at my LHS aren't I...

Yes. There are two small holes on the suspension plate. The small hex screw is there to prevent the pin fron backing out.

You will need a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled the pin out. Reset the A-arm and reinsert the pin, then replace the screw.

Make sure to inspect the suspension plate for damage. Usually when that pin is ripped out it will continue to happen.

I just had this happen, waiting on the new plate, so I havent been jumping it.

Last edited:
Yes. There are two small holes on the suspension plate. The small hex screw is there to prevent the pin fron backing out.

You will need a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled the pin out. Reset the A-arm and reinsert the pin, then replace the screw.

Make sure to inspire the suspension plate for damage. Usually when that pin is ripped out it will continue to happen.

I just had this happen, waiting on the new plate, so I havent been jumping it.
So all I have to do is remove that TINY hex screw and the pin will slide out? So the 7 sets of screw I removed tonight probably didn't need to come out....ok...now I just have to find that tiny hex bit or wrench...what did you use and did you have to go to the hobby shop to get it or did you somehow find it at a hardware store?

As far as tools I bought the dynamite tool set from my local hobby shop.

Is the pin popped out from the back or the front? If it's the back, you should be able to reach it with pliers

The pin is still fully in and doesn't look damaged and neither does the hole in the suspension arm that it goes through...I can't figure out what happened and how it came out! There must be something damaged for the pin to no longer be through the hole in the suspension arm but that doesn't look to be damaged at all either...its like a Houdini act!

The pin is still fully in and doesn't look damaged and neither does the hole in the suspension arm that it goes through...I can't figure out what happened and how it came out! There must be something damaged for the pin to no longer be through the hole in the suspension arm but that doesn't look to be damaged at all either...its like a Houdini act!
Can you post a picture of it?

Wow, ok. That was a little magic trick.

Honestly it might be a pain getting that pin out. There is a lot more tension on the pin because of the offset of the A-arm. Remove the retaining screw and try to work the pin out until you can grab it from behind and pull it the rest of the way out. Then you can reset it.

So you see what I mean?! Houdini-d it! No clue how this happened when I crashed.

Well, I'll get over to the hobby shop for the tool set. The pin isn't spring loaded, right?...It doesn't look like it in the diagram in the manual.

MADitto, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to help me! THANKS A LOT!

So you see what I mean?! Houdini-d it! No clue how this happened when I crashed.

Well, I'll get over to the hobby shop for the tool set. The pin isn't spring loaded, right?...It doesn't look like it in the diagram in the manual.

MADitto, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to help me! THANKS A LOT!

The pin is not under spring tension. Take your truck with you and see what they say. You might be able to drop the suspension plate and push it out from the other side.

My pleasure, I hope it helped and you get it back on the road soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if the A-arm will turn out to have split... I don't see any other way for that to happen than it has cracked but the crack is clean and you can't see it until you pry inside the hole with something to force it open.

I wouldn't be surprised if the A-arm will turn out to have split... I don't see any other way for that to happen than it has cracked but the crack is clean and you can't see it until you pry inside the hole with something to force it open.
That's kinda what I'm thinking had to happen too...that the plastic is split right along the line where the 2 halves of the plastic meet. But if not, no clue.

That's kinda what I'm thinking had to happen too...that the plastic is split right along the line where the 2 halves of the plastic meet. But if not, no clue.
Yup that's what always happens that's where it's molded together you can use a paper clip and push it out that's what I did and yes it's under a lot of pressure once you push it out far enough then use pliers just don't wreck it. Oh and order 2 more it might happen again it did to me

You're saying the suspension arms break like that and I should order 2 more? Thanks for the help.

Alright, I guess the shopping list just grew to a toolset AND extra suspension arms. Thanks.

It's official...the plastic is split right down the mold line. I got the pin out tonight and confirmed it. Was really hoping for magic rather than a broken part...bummer. Hopefully, the LHS has some in stock!

It's official...the plastic is split right down the mold line. I got the pin out tonight and confirmed it. Was really hoping for magic rather than a broken part...bummer. Hopefully, the LHS has some in stock!
That sucks. I recommend picking up the RPM a-arms

I'll check if they have them...I take it they are a bit more durable or is it just a brand preference thing because just by looks the ECX one looks like there's more plastic to it meaning possibly more durable? Thanks again for your help!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back