installed RPM SSE and new mg servo, now truck steers itself

Joshnewb

Just installed RPM Servo Saver Eliminator and now the truck randomly steers itself left or right.
Not sure what is going on. everything installed right, but maybe screw too tight or screw not tight enough

checked and double checked everything
all seems fine until i attach the servo to the Hitec hs7985mg i just put in
after horn it attached to servo all i have to do is pick the truck up and move it around and the wheels will move on their own
something wrong with new servo?

still trying to figure this out, did more looking around at the truck
now i notice that they only move around after i have the radio powered on
if i shut everything off and just turn on the truck, they stay centered, but as soon as i power on the radio and the servo kicks on, the wheels move around themselves from the force of gravity

Disconnect the servo from the steering bellcrank, then turn on the radio and ESC, see if the servo wanders around on its own?

It could be a resistance problem where you overscrewed the bolt that goes through the bellcrank, but it could also be a faulty servo or the radio has become unbound?

checked to see if over tightened, it's fine
unhooked servo arm and all, it recenters just fine
but as soon as i got to drive it, it wanders all over on its own
i even put the stock servo saver back in and drove it and it still steered left or right on its own
i called hitec and the tech i talked to was just as bewildered
just gonna return servo
thanks though doom

checked to see if over tightened, it's fine
unhooked servo arm and all, it recenters just fine
but as soon as i got to drive it, it wanders all over on its own
i even put the stock servo saver back in and drove it and it still steered left or right on its own
i called hitec and the tech i talked to was just as bewildered
just gonna return servo
thanks though doom

Sounds suspiciously like the servo's potentiometer (used to sense position of the servo) has an intermittency. Either dead spots or loose wiring.

a bit late and i'm sure the problem was a bad servo but was wondering to myself if there would be an issue between the digital servo and what ever radio system you were using being that if your using the OE stuff the servo was analog and the system was set up for it. Pretty sure I'm over thinking it and it shouldn't matter what type of servo you use but if you connect another digital servo up and it does the same thing?!?!?

Curious if a new digital servo worked better?

Avc will cause wheels to steer when tilting the vehicle right or left when holding the vehicle by the front bumper.

ok, so i mailed servo back in exchange for another of the same
installed a rpm sse and hitec 7985mg onto my Ruckus 1/10 brushless, since mg servo suggested when using sse
(earlier i also put in team associated adjustable links to tighten up steering more along with the rpm sse)
had digital servo and replaced with another digital servo
took for a drive today and still has tendency to steer randomly *sigh*
also have voltage protector since "maxing out" bec with new servo, just to be safe
---servo has 3000 mA draw at stall, and bec/ESC rated at 3A

any suggestions?

What type of radio gear are you using? what esc, motor, battery? give us a complete run down since a new servo didn't solve the problem.

Check your servo saver. Check your tires and make sure they are tight. Check your bearings make sure they spin freely/bearing hubs not getting hot.

stock radio spektrum dx2e with spektrum srs4201 receiver
stock motor/esc dynamite 3300 brushless motor and dynamite 45A tazer esc
added spektrum voltage protector for higher current draw of hitec hs 7985mg
running with 7.4V 7 cell nimh battery

was running with rpm servo saver eliminator and no servo saver (why i went with mg servo)
wheels tight, bearings all free and not hot

know anyone with a lipo to try? The NiMH battery may not be able to deliver the proper current at all times, thus causing problems. Other then that I'm out of ideas. But it only started this after installing the Hitec servo? Have you tried sticking the oe servo back in w/ the RPM SSE, although if I'm right about the battery issue it'll operate normally.

No lipo available... Was thinking maybe servo not getting enough power...
Started wandering after new servo... Planning on putting oe servo back in.
But unfortunately squirrely servo ran me into a sign post. Broke front left A arm and shock.
Parts should be here by Saturday. Lol sigh
Gonna see if they'll let me return it (again) and maybe get a hitec 5645 or 5625... They seem to have little less power draw.
Otherwise run stock servo until breaks and find some other digital mg servo...

Will "downgrading" to hitec 5000 series even help my problem?

Last edited:
Apparently the savox 15kg mg digital servo works great. Waterproof to. that's what im going for when my stock servo packs up

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back