Let the Mods Begin!

Smokestack

Hey everyone. New to the Forum and returning to the hobby after a looooong hiatus. I picked up a couple of Amp MT's for my son and I a while back, but I can't leave well enough alone even though they're pretty fun in stock trim. So began the research and general internet-ing to get some Ideas for upgrading my Amp. All the upgrades are going to be done with the help of my eldest son, so not much in the way of Dremel or Fabrication just yet. This will also be chassis and related only for now, though I'm sure I'll be back in here asking opinions about electronics and motors and such soon enough!

Anyhow, my research has yielded a few results and a few more questions, so I thought I'd ask here.

First; regarding aluminum parts. From what I've been able to determine, aluminum should be used in areas like caster blocks, drive hubs, shocks, and reinforcements for bulkheads and the like, but not so much in areas that will absorb hits, like suspension arms. My question is this: what about shock towers? Aluminum or no? Too much stress on the chassis?

Second; I noticed when building my kit that the steering is a bit sloppy, and there is play in the tie rods and bell crank. The tie rods are easy enough, so I was wondering about the bell crank. I've seen the Hot Racing one, and with bearings, it looks pretty sweet. I've also seen the RPM one, and heard tell of replacing the bushings with bearings. Which do you all prefer; the HR or the RPM? Why?

I'm also all ears for suggestions about sealed bearings, shocks, and wheels / tires, that y'all may have. I'm not looking to race competition-style or anything, but I do get a kick out of pushing what I have a little bit, so I figured that I'd get the chassis and drivetrain work done first, and go from there...

Thanks for any help,

Smokestack

I installed the RPM steering assembly in my Boost. The Boost chassis is virtually IDENTICAL to the AMP with the exception of the length of the suspension arms and the chassis itself.

Here's my installation review of the RPM steering assembly. While I purchased and installed cartridge bearings, I don't think they are at all necessary and if I were to do it again (which I will, sooner or later with my own AMP) I will not bother with bearings. https://ecxforum.com/threads/ECX-boost-rpm-steering-upgrades.274/

In my AMP, I thought I'd try something different: Installing an Associated B4/T4 steering assembly since it has been described as a "direct replacement" on various RC sites. tl:dr? It isn't and I don't think it's worth the bother. Read my experience here: https://ecxforum.com/threads/ECX-amp-associated-b4-t4-steering-upgrade.337/

Get the RPM steering assembly and a metal-geared servo. Let the plastic servo arm/horn serve as the sacrificial part.

As for the aluminum parts? They will cost more, weigh more, wear faster, and damage much more easily (aluminum will bend and stay bent. Plastic will bend and then return to original shape). However, their Bling Index is unstoppable. I highly recommend RPM's steering parts for ECX 2WD vehicles.

Here's my review and installation of the RPM caster blocks, front spindle blocks, and rear axle carriers. RPM also makes suspension arms for all 2WD ECX vehicles except the Boost.
https://ecxforum.com/threads/ECX-boost-rpm-steering-upgrades.274/#post-2440

Cool. Thanks for the links! The RPM Bellcrank does look pretty nice. Maybe I'll give it a whirl...

As for the caster blocks by RPM, I've read in a few cases that they flex a bit too much, and can break kingpins or tear them out of the A-arms on a solid hit. The Aluminum is supposed to support the pins more, so people were saying to use aluminum for the casters and rear axle carriers and RPM for the steering blocks up front. Sounded like a solid theory, so I figured I'd ask if anyone who had an ECX had tried that combo for a bit of hands on info.

You've given me a bit to ponder, so thanks again for the info!

I don't know. I race my Boost on an indoor track: a thin anti-static carpet covering concrete and the jumps are wooden. So any crashes are HARD. I've been mauled by Slashes during open practice. My car has cartwheeled over whoop-de-dos and plowed into the perimeter walls. Nothing broken: just the camber rods have popped off (I replaced the stock plastic links with Associated turnbuckles and RPM ball cup rod ends.)

Hey everybody! I realize I haven't been keeping this thread up, but the summer has been busy as all get-out, so... I've gotten out with the AMP's and my son quite a bit over the summer, and we've been having a blast so far. I've gotten my AMP to a relatively solid place, I think, in prep for eventually going to a brushless system. My list of upgrades as it stands goes as follows:

- RPM A-Arms on the front and rear
- RPM transmission cover with quick release slipper cover
- RPM front Axle Carriers
- RPM Ball Cups on the steering links

- Traxxas Turnbuckles all around
- Traxxas links for the steering assembly

- Hot Racing front Steering Blocks
- Hot Racing rear Axle Blocks
- Hot Racing steel telescoping drive shafts
- Hot Racing aluminum Bellcrank

- ECX Aluminum Hubs on the front (the rear has the steel ones that came with the drive shafts)
- ECX Metal Gears

- T-Bone Racing Bumpers front and rear

- Fast Eddie sealed ceramic bearing all around

- Pro-Line Powerstroke Shocks front and rear (got 'em on clearance for cheap!)

So far so good! I've also just picked up a Tactic servo from my LHS, as I grabbed a bunch of concrete at a skatepark recently and stripped the servo horn as well as cracking the case of the stock servo. Seems to be working well enough.

Anyways, on to the pics!

14772415090491378505066.jpg

1477241566129998702394.jpg

14772416049581693999596.jpg

1477241664836665356162.jpg

1477241722680-625178973.jpg

I want to upgrade the links just as you did, it will definitely help wear out the tires more evenly on my AMP.
Do you have the part numbers that you used for the following components:

I have the hot racing allumiumun bellcrank in my amp. I couldn't be anymore happier with how well it preforms now. I Actualy have alot of hot racing upgrades on my amp. I'm going full allumiumun. Mines just a here n there basher. So might as well look cool on the shelf lol.

I'm sorry for the late reply- I bought Associated part #1283 T4 turnbuckle set (on Ebay). The four long turnbuckles at 71mm and the two short ones are 67mm.

Thanks for the info.

I bought the Hot Racing bellcrank but can't find any guides on how to install it. I've searched the web and youtube but no luck.
How did "@RC Rebels" and "@Smokestack" install it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I tried it 2x already but still haven't had much luck with it. I'll be giving it another try this coming weekend. Any advice that would help?

I don't really remember how I swapped mine out, but it seems it would be something like this
  • pop off the steering rods at their inner ends
  • pop off the linkage between servo and the topside bellcrank ball stud
  • remove the front chassis cover completely (may need to get the front body mount out of the way)
  • unscrew the bolt going through the center of the bellcrank
  • uhh I don't know what's under there...
Sorry I can't be more help :(

Hey everybody! I realize I haven't been keeping this thread up, but the summer has been busy as all get-out, so... I've gotten out with the AMP's and my son quite a bit over the summer, and we've been having a blast so far. I've gotten my AMP to a relatively solid place, I think, in prep for eventually going to a brushless system. My list of upgrades as it stands goes as follows:

- RPM A-Arms on the front and rear
- RPM transmission cover with quick release slipper cover
- RPM front Axle Carriers

- Hot Racing front Steering Blocks
- Hot Racing rear Axle Blocks
- Hot Racing steel telescoping drive shafts
- Hot Racing aluminum Bellcrank

- ECX Aluminum Hubs on the front (the rear has the steel ones that came with the drive shafts)
- ECX Metal Gears

- T-Bone Racing Bumpers front and rear

- Fast Eddie sealed ceramic bearing all around

- Pro-Line Powerstroke Shocks front and rear (got 'em on clearance for cheap!)

So far so good! I've also just picked up a Tactic servo from my LHS, as I grabbed a bunch of concrete at a skatepark recently and stripped the servo horn as well as cracking the case of the stock servo. Seems to be working well enough.

Anyways, on to the pics!

View attachment 2135

View attachment 2136

View attachment 2137

View attachment 2138

View attachment 2139

how do you like the proline powerstroke shocks?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back