List of my bomb proof Ruckus upgrades 2WD

Same Day, Jersey side of the Delaware. When it pans to the left there's the Philly Airport, center the Navy Yard, and to the right the Philly sky line. If your a history buff - a few hundred yards in front of the camera shot (Jersey Side) is where the Colonials defeated the Hessian Army many moons ago.

Cool stuff. I'm sure you'll be ok standing there for a few hours. Even drinking from the river is probably ok, toxic waste is bad but realistically it only affects you if you boil your spaghetti in it weekly for years. Or if you eat fish that's been swimming in it all its life. But I can imagine it's on your mind when you get a mouthful of DuPont dust from a gust of wind, lol.

Finally got around to getting RPM everything, which I guess completes my bomb proof Ruckus!
Attempted to film the entire process but 1 forgot it was recording 2 battery died 3 forgot battery died 4 remembered it all but it was too late 5 salvaged what I could.

I blinked a few times...

That was a lot of wrenching. How do you like the Ruckus platform? I sort of want one after watching that. And those are exactly the tires I'd put on them :D

My first and quick answer is I like it alot as a basher but then I got to thinking about it and there is not much left of the original truck. So I never ran it with original electronics/ gears/ driveshafts/ Radio/ etc. It was an old V1 that I picked up used on Ebay. I also have a Torment so I was familiar with the design and already knew what needed to be upgraded. Got into the ECX brand when it was relatively new because my cousin picked up a circuit for his kid who was abit too young for anything nicer and the kid constantly ran it into a curb full speed without it breaking. Got the Torment and went thru all the issues and mods/ upgrades that worked/ didn't work.

Only replaced the arms and steering components because there was way too much play after years of abuse (never actually broke anything). So instead of a simple replacement I went with the RPM with bigger bearings upgrade. So as it sits now its practically unbreakable. So yeah I like it alot, it takes all the abuse I can throw at it.

Cool, thanks. I don't know what to expect compared to the shorter wheelbase Amp. But the bigger tires would be a plus for me, as I run in the lawn more than anywhere else. I might throw some bigger tires on the Amp and see what gives.

Charged up all my batteries for a long bash session, grabbed the Ruckus to check a few things (make sure my nuts were tight) Turned it on and the ESC started flashing wrong color lights, the steering was almost non existent . Something went really really wrong. Opened up the receiver box area to look at the receiver and its light was wonky also. Tried to rebind - swapped radios - checked for updates on the firmware for the ESC - long story short - fried the servo causing a short which created all sorts of havok. Cannibalized the Maxx to get another metal geared servo- since all my spares are standard plastic geared. Its never ending wrenching.

How are the steering knuckles holding up? I've gone through 3 sets of the stockers and a set of the Hot Racing steering knuckles in mine(shoulder screws ripped the threads out).

Besides RPM having the best warranty in the industry (http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/faq/rpm-warranty-policy/) its something you will never have to worry about cause the reason they have the best warranty is because their products don't break. As long as its installed properly you will never have a problem.
2 Rpm products that were installed correctly and still broke. The Rpm bumpers break a lot. They make some pretty beefy stuff but in the end something has to break.
20170430_105205_zpsdykc0gwb.jpg

Last edited:
2 Rpm products that were installed correctly and still broke. The Rpm bumpers break a lot. They make some pretty beefy stuff but in the end something has to break.
20170430_105205_zpsdykc0gwb.jpg

Holy hell!!! I have never seen that or even heard about that. I've been using RPM stuff for years without issue. Only bad thing I ever heard was you don't use their a arms for racing because they flex, the stiffer (and more brittle) oe arms were better. I can't even imagine the force needed to break that arm.

I stand corrected.

Holy hell!!! I have never seen that or even heard about that. I've been using RPM stuff for years without issue. Only bad thing I ever heard was you don't use their a arms for racing because they flex, the stiffer (and more brittle) oe arms were better. I can't even imagine the force needed to break that arm.

I stand corrected.

Anything can break, should you try hard enough. ;)

Do a Google search for broken rpm bumper and there are tons of threads of people who broke theirs, and guess what RPM doesn't warranty broken bumpers.
The A Arm was not the only thing that broke, I also had to replace the hinge pins, the servo saver and the chassis. I'm sure the below freezing Temps had a lot to do with the breakage.
20170117_135458_zpsa7rsybu6.jpg

The warranty doesn't say anything about freezing the parts. . . and You might have a case if "normal operating conditions" are in freezing temperatures due to were you live. . .

Only RPM bumper I've ever used has been on a Slash, well not counting the skid guards/ bumpers on the Maxx and RC10GT. Slash one seems indestructible but these days it rarely gets used, but when it does my son tries to break it so he can go back to playing video games.

Just remembered I put RPM bumpers on both Micro-t's. If they ever break I'm gonna be pissed.

I live in an area where it can be 70* and sunny one min then 15 min later be 30* and snowing. A town 45 miles away actually holds the world record for the fastest temperature change.
WIKIPEDIA said:
On January 22, 1943 at about7:30 a.m. MST, the temperature in Spearfish was −4°F (−20°C). The Chinook wind picked up speed rapidly, and two minutes later (7:32 a.m.) the temperature was +45 °F (+7 °C) above zero. The 49 °F or 27 °C rise in two minutes set a world record that still holds. By 9:00 a.m., the temperature had risen to 54 °F (12 °C). Suddenly, the chinook died down and the temperature tumbled back to −4 °F or −20 °C. The 58 °F or 32.2 °C drop took only 27 minutes.[17][18] The sudden change in temperatures caused glass windows to crack and windshields to instantly frost over.
There have literally been days where it's 70 and sunny here and they have the interstate closed going west bound out of town do to snow.

Last edited:
Impressive how those tires are putting down the power on that surface. Love the bug body too. Looks like a much bigger car now!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back