Motor Break In

Water break-in can give your motor an increase in performance, but can also shorten its life.

I do one of two things: 1) If the motor is already attached to the vehicle, as an RTR, I just run the car for the first time, using only smooth throttle increases and avoiding the brake. 2) If it's a motor out of a package, I use some electrical tape and attach a AA battery, leaving it alone until the battery dies.

Both methods work.

I've performed the water break-in method on two motors. This was in March. Both motors are doing well and one (in my Boost) was subjected to racing conditions early in its life. Slightly higher gearing than box stock and long run times at high output. That and the other motor are both still running well.

I also periodically spray the brushes with motor cleaner spray until it runs clear (initially the black contaminants are very obvious).

Dynamite 20T motors.

I've performed the water break-in method on two motors. This was in March. Both motors are doing well and one (in my Boost) was subjected to racing conditions early in its life. Slightly higher gearing than box stock and long run times at high output. That and the other motor are both still running well.

I also periodically spray the brushes with motor cleaner spray until it runs clear (initially the black contaminants are very obvious).

Dynamite 20T motors.
As you can see @wizardwerx8, your mileage may vary on this stuff. I definitely agree on cleaning the motor regularly—that will nearly always improve performance and lengthen the motor's life. Whichever method you choose, definitely clean the motor regularly.

I've also done what RonimusPrime suggested: Just run the motor, in the car, at low speed and increase throttle gradually. I've done this with one care in a work stand. I turned the throttle trim way up so the motor would run unattended and left it for 10-15 mins.

One final thing: The water break-in was more beneficial "back in the good old days" when a brushed motor was the only option. Now, most brushed motors are sealed and NOT rebuildable and the brushes are not replaceable. So extensive break-in on a cheap motor is almost overkill. Get it out on the road, drive slowly for the first 10 minutes or so and you'll be ready to rock. But... this IS a hobby so spending time and going slowly as you tinker is never really too much of a waste of time. :)

Unless you truly abuse the motor, you will probably outgrow it before it dies. Even if that happens, the motor is a US$15 part.

I purchased a new motor today. Because i killed the last motor in roughly 20 charge cycles on the stock nimh batt. Im not ready for brushless yet. I would like the new motor to last a little longer before I jump onto brushless. Thanks for all the info. This site is awsome for getting advise. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back