My Barrage 1.9 BTR kit mods

Oh ya, an update on the performance. The new wheel/tire combo is amazing. The truck actually feels a lil heavy when you pick it up now. Those tires simply grip everything, and the added weight “in the right places” has enabled the truck to go farther without rolling. The even lower center of gravity using the smaller tires was very evident while crawling today. I was stoked to see that even with the smaller tire diameter I was still able to go farther and do more. Slightly less ground clearance didn’t affect the performance, or my fun in the slightest. I highly recommended these RC4WD Mud Slingers 1.9 version one. 3.66 inches tall, and the steel wheels. The added unsprung weight and extra grip of the aggressive super soft tire compound is a winner combo for the Barrage.

Need the perfect 2s Lipo, and charger. A lil extra wheel spin, and longer run time from the Lipo should be fun, and I need a good single battery charger badly. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks guys

640C1E6B-22D2-4C7C-8334-29AD3598A2D3.jpeg

Received my order from Amazon today. After work I plan on tinkering with my truck. I’ll post a pic, and let ya all know how the new servo works.

92EE692A-1B0C-478E-929A-7F319C4BA7B8.jpeg

2282A62A-BED8-4026-9845-733D517AB62C.jpeg 75F01B51-0271-4E26-8170-6453530ECE92.jpeg Just thought to myself about how the new servo is heavier than the stock one. Another nice bonus of a lil extra weight in the right place. Can’t wait to hit the trails tomorrow. I took my truck along Saturday when I went to the beach. Forgot to take a pic of the truck, but here’s the beach anyway. It was beautiful outside.

Your barrage is amazing. Do you think you could have cut the fenders less if you had had the smaller tires earlier? I kinda want a barrage to complement my scx10 g6 (which my kid loves but still breaks fairly often). It seems like a lot of fun to crawl the forest together, but I can't spend another $350 on another axial...

Could you maybe list the mods required to get to your current build? The topic has become fairly long now :)

Besides the $180 for the kit, I spent $15 on some RC4WD scale diamond plate, $50 on wheels, $30 on tires, and $30 for the servo and hoops for the bumper. Lol I guess that’s still $305, and I could’ve purchased a new Deadbolt. I would definitely get the kit version, or hold out till the new RTR with 1.55 wheels is available. You could also pick up the doomsday edition for $150 and have fun. I’d stay away from the 1.9 RTR as it has the old version suspension. I think you’d be pretty happy after a servo upgrade, and that’s only $20 extra.

A58A727C-7E1B-49FE-98D6-9832E90A2DBA.jpeg Oops I forgot about this

Doom, thank you. I’ve been having a great time with the Barrage. If you have any more specific questions, just ask.

About cutting the fenders. I would have cut the fenders and lower body anyway, even though it’s completely unnecessary. I personally like how it looks cut. You could just remove the lip from the fenders and leave them wide, if you think it looks better. I’m going to pick up a Proline Chevy C-10 body I think. Any other suggestions would be awesome. Thanks, and good luck deciding on your new truck. I’d be tempted to check out the Redcat Gen 7 for a full size option, or the RC4WD Gallande 1/18 scale for a smaller rig. The Barrage is cool cause it falls in the middle size wise, and it’s also the least expensive.

If anyone can think of something better than those three trucks all around $200, let me know. Thanks guys

Thanks for the suggestions. Tires and wheels are so expensive relative to the total cost of an RC, it's a bit ridiculous. You can get a soldered, wound, many-part ESC and motor for the price of four pieces of moulded rubber.

Thanks for your suggestions, for some reason the redcat gen 7 doesn't really convince me when I look at it. I have to admit I am slightly disappointed in the axial scx10 g6 though. It's very well equipped and comes with a lot of spare parts (some of which I already needed), but when you articulate the suspension you find a couple of binds and rubs here and there, which I thought would not be the case with such a long running, proven platform. The barrage is top of my list still.

That’s awesome man. I would go for the Doomsday version if your budget is super tight. Everything you need for $150, and your outside making memories with your son. The 1.9 kit version for $180 would be better, because of the tires. The Falcon A/T’s are actually pretty good. Or you could wait a month or so and get the new 1.55 RTR. I like how the slightly smaller tires look on this truck better, and the more aggressive tread of the new M/T Falcons look good. Then again if you wait for the new RTR, you could save an extra $120 and get into a SCX10 2 Deadbolt. The jump from $180 to $300 is probably worth it in the long run, but then again I don’t regret getting my Barrage at all. I dig it !

Heck I might even send you the body from my truck if you get the Doomsday. After I get my new Chevy C-10 body of course lol. I actually think that Doomsday body might look cool if ya took some parts off and did a lil custom magic to make it yours. Just a thought, but seriously I would send off my truck body for free to help an awesome Dad make his truck look cool. I admire you for doing cool RC stuff with your son.

Haha thanks that's a nice offer but I'm in Europe so it'd be silly expensive to send the body around. I'm not sure what to make of the doomsday's tires.

D3439B5F-6D1B-4635-9EE6-CC9898147D65.jpeg

Attachments

• D063F40A-F26F-4095-AEB1-1760B64855E4.jpeg
    D063F40A-F26F-4095-AEB1-1760B64855E4.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DA5A5993-EFF2-410F-8B0E-636699B1AF4B.jpeg
    DA5A5993-EFF2-410F-8B0E-636699B1AF4B.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 06059044-322A-4C4F-9230-8BB6C34ADF8B.jpeg
    06059044-322A-4C4F-9230-8BB6C34ADF8B.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 5
Had to straighten the front axle. They are weak as hell at the hex pin hole. It’s ok to run this truck like an adult. I do not recommend letting your rotten nephew crash n roll n burn out everywhere. Haha that lil poop needs a basher truck, not a crawler. If you bash my crawler one more time.....lol

Attachments

• 471A0F87-966F-4C02-9941-6C69AD8B8400.jpeg
    471A0F87-966F-4C02-9941-6C69AD8B8400.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 5
I reinstalled the stock plastic servo horn. It lines up better. The aluminum horn was a bit longer and thicker, causing some minor binding.

View attachment 3479 View attachment 3480

Three holes showing high in the front body mount, and one hole showing in the rear mount

View attachment 3481

3 inches up front with all 4 tires touching. I used my wife’s glass egg so I could adjust the position to maximum articulation. No body, with the stock battery in the truck. No extra weight and it’s just smooth slowly settling into place. I am definitely going to try lightweight oil. Is 10 weight what I’m looking for ? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Next I’m going to trim or sand down the plastic link end on the passenger side. Before I do this, can anybody tell me why having the front wheels with toe out would be a benefit ? It seems to me straight, or a very very slight toe in would be much better ? Let me know if I’m completely wrong, and why please. Thanks

When I did this build, I greased all the gears and oiled the bearings. Had to disassemble the gear box, as it is one of the pre assembled components. Took my time and made sure nothing was binding. I have only ran the battery though it three times so far, but it has really started to break in and seems smoother every time I take it out. So far I haven’t spent a dime except for a can of black spray paint. I am definitely going to purchase shock oil, and will be looking into a new steering Servo. My stock servo was horrible on the first two runs, but has since magically broken in and is now working ok. It’s still way weak and I want a new one regardless. I’m not looking for the super mega most bad ass Servo, just one that will get the job done on this truck for a decent price. I only want to buy it one time, so if anyone can lead me in the right direction for a servo I’d appreciate it.
Check into the servo on the temper gen 2, it’s stronger and fits well

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back