New Temper Owner

Phyzik

Hey guys, just purchased an ECX Temper this past Friday and have been tinkering around with it. Driftomatics video's helped me out a bit (subbed you Drifto). So far have done some of the easy mods until I get paid again this week, then it's on for some major mods...

So far, I switched the battery housing 180 Degrees (to get the battery more over the front wheels) and I also switched the transfer case around and had to reverse the throttle on the transmitter (to help with the crazy torque). Having done that I couldn't mount the ESC on the bottom of the battery plate (like I hoped, to lower the center of Gravity) so I instead mounted it on top of the front servo to increase weight in the front.

20160529_220952_1.jpg 20160529_221000_1.jpg

You can see where I removed the ESC (still need to clean that up). I've also removed the foam from the tires. Going to be upgrading the motor and going 4ws ASAP (probably this coming weekend). I've never done it before but I may try modifying the shocks to get a more flat stance as it seems to sit too high.... or maybe even getting some wheel spacers and going with 1.9 or maybe even 2.2 on the wheels if possible.

As far as other RC's.... I have an older Traxxas 4-tec (belt driven) and a Traxxas E-Revo 1/16th scale with a 1/12 scale brushless motor mounted on it running dual Lipo batteries.. Even with a wheelie bar the thing is still a bastard to control, WAY to much power, lol..... Does complete back flips from a stand still no problem. Haven't actually flagged it with a radar, but I'm sure it can run close to 100mph if not more, if I can just keep it under control. Might try working on the suspension and aerodynamics to achieve that just for kicks.

A bonus with having the ESC on the front servo is since I chopped up the body a bit, it is easly to hook up the battery, put the body on, and still easily turn on/off the vehicle even with the body on..

Last edited:
And yeah... there is some wire clean up I need to do, I know it looks ugly.... I just did it in the spur of the moment and I was drinking. lol. Also, here is a Side by Side image of my E-Revo next to my new Temper. The Springs/shocks on the E-Revo are a bit abused as you can tell, but I had them cranked down as much as I could to get lower ground clearance due to the insane speed it has with that motor and 2 LiPo baterries (one on each side, if you can see the tray mounts that are open.) You can even see one of the wheelie bar wheels just under the rear spoiler to the right of the blue antenna.... Practically useless with that much power though, lol, but it does help if you know how to finesse the beast up to speed.

20160529_233712_1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job! whats the capacitor on the ESC for, to slow it down for crawling?

When the ESC is suddenly calling for a lot of current, the capacitor helps to prevent the voltage from dropping. It is a low-capacity but very-high discharge rate battery in effect.

Thanks for the welcome! Today, I decided to relocate the ESC back to it's original location as I didn't think about what happens with extreme articulation moments (it was hitting the body on the front) and I didn't want to chop it up anymore than I already have. I went ahead and purchased some lead self-adhesive weights and put them in the front wheels as well as on top of the servo to give it a bit more bite when going up steep inclines and step-ups.

https://www.petenplanes.com.au/fiel...segmented-lead-weights-7g-6-oz-/prod_864.html

This was the best link I could find for the ones I bought (7g each block) but you should be able to find them in the plane section of Hobbytown for like $5. For whatever reason, hobbytown.com doesn't list these but they had them at my location.

Each little "block" of lead in the pack fits perfectly inside the stock wheels, easy peasy to do. 42g on the servo, and 63g inside each front wheel (6 "blocks" on the servo (two rows of 3), and 9 in each wheel (each touching end to end, perfect fit)). Still not sure if I should add some weight to the rear tires, gonna play around a bit and see how it reacts. The CoG is definitely much more forward than the center of the frame, almost 75% front, 25% back.

Also decided to delete the flimsy plastic bumpers, was running into an issue of catching the front bumper on big pillows causing it to fold out flatter making it much harder (if not impossible) to do some couch courses :p. Not sure how to explain what was happening, but lets say you come across a small overhang, the tires would grab and start to climb up, but the bumper was catching the underside, like a fish hook. (hope that makes sense).

Has anyone replaced the stock motor? I'm specifically looking at the Traxxas Titan 380 18 turn motor, was wondering if anyone has had any mounting issues or if you know a better motor to use as a replacement.

http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Titan-Turn-Brushed-Motor/dp/B0027GGZYU

also, is the stock ESC capable of handling Lipo 2s or would I need to replace it? If that's the case, I might just say to hell with it and go brushless.

Last edited:
also, is the stock ESC capable of handling LiPo 2s or would I need to replace it? If that's the case, I might just say to hell with it and go brushless.

We have a couple members running 2s on their Temper with no issues. Just remember to get a battery monitor, as the stock ESC doesn't monitor the voltage and could cause the LIPO to get drawn past the appropriate limit. Should never run cells below 3.2V

Latest posts

Members online

Back