Newly purchased ruckus, need help w batteries for longer run time

DaCanes2004

Hello

I just purchased the ecx ruckus torment truck and so far I love it except that the batteries run out in about 15 mins, right now I have the stock battery in it ; does anyone have suggestions for better battery w a longer run time? Price is no issue.

Dacanes2004

Lipo batteries, I'm not sure how much it can handle but I think it is 2s lipo, those will last you quite a bit... you just have to buy a lipo balance charger and read about the hazards... The charger I got was a nimh, nicd, lipo charger, I got it for 85 bucks, and for a lipo you are probably looking over 40 bucks but I've heard they keep consistant acceleration and longer run time... Hopefully a lipo expert can join in soon, this is the most knowledge I have of them as of now.

My charger was this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynamite-DY...658234?hash=item58af72cc3a:g:N5kAAOSwnDZT1oOa
[Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo] it can charge 2 batteries at once :)

If you want to stick with NIMH batteries, I would recommend the Venom brand. I have a Venom 6 cell 4200 mah and it works great. I can usually get up to 30 minutes or more on it before it runs out, and the battery itself lasts a really long time (I've had mine for almost 2 years).

I like the way you talk, price is not an issue!!! i love it! lol
but their is not need to go crazy either, we know hobby king offers good deals on lipos, i also got floureon lipos, and they are holding on good.

I agree with @justatree if the esc can handle a 2s lipo then go for it, the 2s lipo will give you a little bit more speed but not enough to make a difference, as for run time though it will last way longer then a nimh. If you got a 2s 5000mah it would last about 35-40 minutes and it will keep a constant speed until it is dead unlike a nimh where the speed will slowly lessen as the battery starts to lose charge. I would recommend a 2s lipo if your esc is able to handle it, once you go lipo you'll never think about nimh again.

I have a followup question since I'm not sure what size vehicle is being referred to...I have the Brushless Ruckus 1/10th stock truck...I am pretty sure I need to upgrade to 2s and 7.4V (correct me if I'm wrong?) but after that what specs would be good?

I have a followup question since I'm not sure what size vehicle is being referred to...I have the Brushless Ruckus 1/10th stock truck...I am pretty sure I need to upgrade to 2s and 7.4V (correct me if I'm wrong?) but after that what specs would be good?

This is what I run on my BL circuit.

upload_2016-6-17_10-16-32.png

How long does it last? Kinda disappointed by the run time of the stock battery.

Depends on how you drive and where you set your voltage cutoff at. 45 minutes to an hour, approximately.

What do you know about NCR18650B batteries? Saw a youtube video by MyGeekShow and they sould pretty amazing. But I don't know if they are usable for RC cars...just tested them on planes.

I don't know anything about that particular battery, but as far as I know Li-ion batteries simply cannot provide the dozens of amps an RC car needs. So unless this is a radically new design in some way, I wouldn't want to draw more than say 3 amps out of it continuously. For comparison, my $14 Turnigy 3800mAh LiPo is rated at 30C meaning 114 amps...

The sweet spot for capacity/dollar seems to be around 4000-5000 mAh at the moment. The bigger expense is the charger really.

I'd also get a hardcase because a damaged lipo is a serious fire hazard (it can burst into flames minutes after you dropped it or stepped on it).

Think of the mAh rating as how long your battery will last. Your C rating is the available discharge rate. Obviously you only need a C rating that accomidates your ESC's cqpabilities. But more capacity (mAh) is always better.

Would you go for higher mAh or C...I see 5000mAh 20C is the same cost as 4000mAh 30C.

20C means you can discharge the battery at 20 times its capacity rating, so for the two examples you posted the 5000mAh battery can handle 100 amps, the 4000mAh 30C can handle 120 amps.

However, I strongly suspect these numbers are just an estimate and the batteries are the same. The cheapest series of 2S1P lipo batteries all do around 100A, more expensive 2S1P cells do 150-200A and cheap (but bulkier) 2S2P cells do around 200A.

If it's your first lipo, go for something like 4000-5000mAh and see where you're at. If you don't want to solder, get a Venom (universal plugs) or Dynamite (EC3 plugs). Something like this one is probably the cheapest Venom worth getting: http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=66079

If you do want to solder, solder a traxxas connector on your esc, get a turnigy nano tech battery 2s 5800mah, solder traxxas connectprs on, and get an ez peak traxxas charger. That's what I did. If cost is not an issue, get the ez peak dual (charge two batts at once, which will be better for the future)

I went to the LHS and all picked up a Dynamite 5000mAh 30C 2S LiPo but now the stock battery hold down doesn't seem to fit over the new battery. Do you just use a bungee cord to hold it in or what do you guys use to keep the battery in? Also, I noticed the battery has a 3C Charge Rate on it...questions on that...do you recommend just sticking with the 5A charge rate or is it safe to do the 15A based on this...I assume the lower amperage will be easier on the battery and should make it last longer? And finally, do you recommend immediately recharging the battery once cooled down if you aren't going to use it for a few days or is it better to leave it at a low state of charge and just charge it when you are going to use the battery? Sorry for all the questions...true newbie to LiPo. Man, that battery REALLY gave it some POWER! Wanted to see how much different it was so I throttled it from a dead stop and it just did a back-flip...didn't expect that much change from the stock battery!

If you do want to solder, solder a traxxas connector on your ESC, get a turnigy nano tech battery 2s 5800mah, solder traxxas connectprs on, and get an ez peak traxxas charger. That's what I did. If cost is not an issue, get the ez peak dual (charge two batts at once, which will be better for the future)
More than I want to do at this time but thanks for the idea...just getting back into this hobby so gonna stick with non-solder things for now...for now :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back