Possible motor issues?

Chuck1906

My son took his Ruckus out over the weekend and not even a good 10 minutes into him playing with it, the truck died. He wasn't even driven it hard either. I always charge our batteries up before we go out to drive our trucks so I knew the battery wasn't dead. When I squeezed the trigger, the Ruckus is not doing anything. The ESC will usually beep when you turn it on but it doesn't make the beep sound anymore. I do see a red light that comes on every time I squeeze the trigger though. Not getting anything from the motor. Now the odd thing was I let the truck sit for about 5 minutes and unhooked the battery connector then reconnected it. Turned the Controller on first, then turned the truck on and the Ruckus took off! It worked again for another 5 minutes then it died again. I haven't been able to get it back running since. Everything is stock with no upgrades but this is his 2nd motor and the truck isn't even a year old yet. Might be time to go brushless! I am new to the RC world so I don't even know what to look for when it comes to troubleshooting a problem. Hoping I can get some answers/advice here and save me a trip to the local hobby shop. Thanks

What battery and charger are you using? Do you have steering when the throttle doesn't work? Does the ESC or motor feel hot when this occurs? Do you have a multi-meter? If so, disconnect the motor and see if you have voltage on the output of your ESC when hitting the throttle.

So doing what you suggested in my other thread, I did a once over a few minutes ago with the manual out. Something said wiggle the wires leading to the motor so when I did the tires spun. After further inspecting the cables, I noticed the red cable was coming undone from the red cable on the ESC. I pushed it in to make the connection stronger and now the Ruckus is back in business. I took it outside just now and had it whipping up and down the street.

What battery and charger are you using? Do you have steering when the throttle doesn't work? Does the ESC or motor feel hot when this occurs? Do you have a multi-meter? If so, disconnect the motor and see if you have voltage on the output of your ESC when hitting the throttle.
He is using a Reaction Lipo 2S 7.4v battery. We have the HiTec multi charger X1 AC plus. Yes we have steering when the throttle doesn't work. The ESC was cool to the touch. I think the problem was a loose cable. It was barely connected and I pushed it back in and now everything seems to back to normal.

He is using a Reaction LiPo 2S 7.4v battery. We have the HiTec multi charger X1 AC plus. Yes we have steering when the throttle doesn't work. The ESC was cool to the touch. I think the problem was a loose cable. It was barely connected and I pushed it back in and now everything seems to back to normal.

Glad it was something simple. Good troubleshooting!

Latest posts

Members online

Back