Problems with new replacement ESC for Rukus 2 wd trucks

Just wondering what kv motor you went with?
I just put a 3650 4300kv and 60a GoolRC into my Stampede (Grave Digger), 19/90 gearing, and it absolutely hauls arse.
I may have to hang onto the Ruckus and throw a GoolRC combo into it.

I stuck a Tazer Twin Motor/ESC combo. The ESC is actually inside the motor housing . You would think there would be over heating issues but it has been running perfect for several weeks now. It is only 3000Kv motor rating. 45A continuous and 100 A peak AMP ESC. Fully programable but I stuck it on right out of the box. No issues at all..I have the 87T metal spur with 19T pinion. With the stock 1800mAh LiPo, it lasts 8-9 minutes. With the 5000 20c LiPo, run time is 18 min. I liked her set up so much, I ordered and have the same upgrades for mine but I am sending mine in so they can see the issue with the replacement ESC. I am hoping to at least have the original set ups for back up if they resolve the issues.

Just wondering what kv motor you went with?
I just put a 3650 4300kv and 60a GoolRC into my Stampede (Grave Digger), 19/90 gearing, and it absolutely hauls arse.
I may have to hang onto the Ruckus and throw a GoolRC combo into it.

I put a 4300 in my Torment. I geared it down a bit 18/87 was 19/87. I tried 20 and it was faster. But I run in fairly tall grass and it will heat the motor up even with 18/87. I may try 17/87 next to try to get the heat down a bit. I'm not sure how hot it gets as I don't have a temp gauge yet...but with a full pack run you don't want to hold your fingure on it very long...say 3-5 seconds and it starts to get uncomfortable.

If this motor goes I would go with a 3500kv as it would have a bit more torque (better on grass). Then you could gear up to a 20 for more top end speed.

I put a 4300 in my Torment. I geared it down a bit 18/87 was 19/87. I tried 20 and it was faster. But I run in fairly tall grass and it will heat the motor up even with 18/87. I may try 17/87 next to try to get the heat down a bit. I'm not sure how hot it gets as I don't have a temp gauge yet...but with a full pack run you don't want to hold your fingure on it very long...say 3-5 seconds and it starts to get uncomfortable.

If this motor goes I would go with a 3500kv as it would have a bit more torque (better on grass). Then you could gear up to a 20 for more top end speed.

I got a cheap infared thermometer gun and the Tazer felt hot to touch but with gun it was only 130F.. Yours sounds like maybe 140-F, guessing.The specs for Tazer say not to exceed 200F. When I got the Tazer, I really wasn't familiar with kv ... I was just going by what the "chat" guy was saying online . It may have been Horizon Hobby or maybe RC Planet. In the future, I will do more research on the next motor/esc upgrades..

I stuck a Tazer Twin Motor/ESC combo. The ESC is actually inside the motor housing . You would think there would be over heating issues but it has been running perfect for several weeks now. It is only 3000Kv motor rating. 45A continuous and 100 A peak AMP ESC. Fully programable but I stuck it on right out of the box. No issues at all..I have the 87T metal spur with 19T pinion. With the stock 1800mAh LiPo, it lasts 8-9 minutes. With the 5000 20c LiPo, run time is 18 min. I liked her set up so much, I ordered and have the same upgrades for mine but I am sending mine in so they can see the issue with the replacement ESC. I am hoping to at least have the original set ups for back up if they resolve the issues.
Monday, I'm shipping my Rukus to HH. Chuck sent me a shipping label 2-3 weeks ago and it will run out soon.. I am also shipping the 2 motors that fried when I tried using the 5000 LiPo battery. I am also sending the ESC that I removed from the other Rukus that had the same issues with the replacement ESC before we upgraded it . It's funny how the 1800 LiPo when used with the Rukus w/ upgraded motor lasts 10 minutes or so and won't work with the new 60 ESC in the other Rukus.. Oh well, Soon we will see what they say..

Horizon Hobby has finished with diagnosing the Replacement ESC Issue that I was having. They pretty much said the short runtime with 1800LiPo was normal and with 5000 LiPo is it normal to over run the motor and burn them up if you don't stop every 4-5 minutes to let them cool. They decided to upgrade mine with the Brushless System and said it should hold up to the 5000 LiPo without issues. I thought I heard on here that even the Brushless Rukus does not have the greatest run time...They also stuck a new spur gear on it. Mine was slightly worn. And they included a second Brushless System for my other Rukus that had the same issue. I should get it in a day or so. I will let you know how it performs .......Before I put my Tazer Twin Motor and ESC and other upgrades on it..

Horizon Hobby has finished with diagnosing the Replacement ESC Issue that I was having. They pretty much said the short runtime with 1800LiPo was normal and with 5000 LiPo is it normal to over run the motor and burn them up if you don't stop every 4-5 minutes to let them cool. They decided to upgrade mine with the Brushless System and said it should hold up to the 5000 LiPo without issues. I thought I heard on here that even the Brushless Rukus does not have the greatest run time...They also stuck a new spur gear on it. Mine was slightly worn. And they included a second Brushless System for my other Rukus that had the same issue. I should get it in a day or so. I will let you know how it performs .......Before I put my Tazer Twin Motor and ESC and other upgrades on it..

I guess I'll call back into tech support with this info, and see if I can get myself the brushless combo also!

I guess I'll call back into tech support with this info, and see if I can get myself the brushless combo also!

I would...Put a bunch of worn out parts on it before you send it in....Maybe they'll replace them too...lol

I would...Put a bunch of worn out parts on it before you send it in....Maybe they'll replace them too...lol
I would, but the truck is literally still like new, I've only been able to drive it 3 times. If they offer, I'll probably just send back the esc and motor.
Did they just replace it with the same brushless system out of the brushless version? What are the specs on it kv wise?

I would, but the truck is literally still like new, I've only been able to drive it 3 times. If they offer, I'll probably just send back the ESC and motor.
Did they just replace it with the same brushless system out of the brushless version? What are the specs on it kv wise?

DYNS1450. Specs say 3000 kv. I didn't realize it until just now when I looked it up..it is the same Tazer Twin Combo that I upgraded my daughters with and also recently purchased for mine to be installed after they were done with my truck..Now I got 4 of them..Only problem, If it goes bad, you lose a motor and esc. So far, we have thrashed my daughters pretty hard for several weeks and is holding up great. I stuck a 19t pinion on it a 3-4 weeks ago . 18t was stock.
After all of my complaining about the recalled/replacement ESC's I am very pleased with the outcome .

I was still hoping for an actual solution. Not "these parts are admittedly trash, let's put other parts on it".

Basically what they say is: you pay $200 for a truck that will only run for 5 minutes at a time no matter what you do. Nice of them to set you up with new gear, but seriously lowest-priced ebay junk parts run circles around this stock drivetrain when it comes to reliability.

Agreed, you'd think they would put out another recall.
Instead if wasting more time dealing with HH, I 'm just going to spend the $50cdn on Ebay for another goolrc brushless motor/esc, it works awesome in my other truck.

I'm having issues with them not working out of the box. This is the 2nd one ive gotten from them and just the sterring servo is picking up...no throttle.

Latest posts

Members online

Back