Question 2WD or 4WD?

sdregan70

Should I start with the 2WD or 4WD?

I have read the different the pros and cons for both, and I would like to know; If you could start all over how would you do it or what would you buy first?

That's like asking what should I eat first an apple or an orange...

What do you plan on doing with your rc? Where do you plan on driving? What scale? What kind of terrain? Car, truck, buggy... Ect ECT... Your question is to vauge to give you a good answer.

That's like asking what should I eat first an apple or an orange...

What do you plan on doing with your rc? Where do you plan on driving? What scale? What kind of terrain? Car, truck, buggy... Ect ECT... Your question is to vauge to give you a good answer.

1/10, grass, dirt, and sand. I posted in the Ruckus forum so it would be truck.

Let me rephrase my question. If you own a 2WD and 4WD Ruckus and if you could start over, which one would you buy first?

Last edited:
Let me rephrase my question. If you own a 2WD and 4WD Ruckus and if you could start over, which one would you buy first?

I own both
4wd ruckus:
Pro:
1 Its gonna get through grass, dirt, mud, snowand sand
2 way easier to access parts than 2wd chasis (esc motor servo and on/off switch)
3 it'll kill a pile of leaves (epic) and dirt jumps

Con: 1 the outta the box motor is brushed and its gonna burn out pretty much anytime u
You go full throttle until you replace motor with better brushed or brushless ( depending on upgrade to brushless ~$150 or replace motor 12t 550 titan is $10-15 each time)

2wd
Pros:
1 the factory motor isnt crap but will still burn out (1 time and only through mud)
2 reciever and servo are covered from elements
3 has nicer rims and tires than 4wd out the box

Cons:
1 Reciever and servo are covered and hard to access
2 battery holder is hard to put on over lipos
3 will not kill a pill of leaves

Both
Waterproof but if motors get submerged there f$@$d (just motors)
Very fun

I got the sidewinder 4 combo for 1/10 scale 4x4s
Works great it was $150 but i did also git a metal gear ($10) for the coupleing (the big gear next to the motor on the shaft) because the new motor is really powerful compared to box one.
I dont remember teeth size for gear but yuo want it wide so u can still take it off road not thin otherwise its basically a short course truck or you dont have to replace it and you'll be fine so long as you ease it up to speed (fwd or reverse)

From my experience there is better support for the 2wd. The availability of RPM plastics alone factored into my decision. The OE stuff is tough as nails (little sloppy though) but it’s nice to know you have options when you break something. As mentioned above, the biggest factor should always be “what are you looking to do with it?” Crazy to buy the wrong truck and then spend twice as much on mods.

Whichever you choose, I would recommend either buying the brushless model from the start or looking for a GREAT deal, even used (my route), if you go brushed because you won’t be happy for long and you’ll wind up spending $100-$150 for a brushless combo. Older models may not have metal diff gears and that is something you’ll want with a b/l combo. Otherwise figure in another $25 for that.

I love my 2WD. It is more fun than my 4wd EMaxx except in snow. I have swapped out all driveline parts as part of my brushless upgrade. 4wd would have more parts that require upgrading. But a fully updated 4wd would be baller too. Ideally I'd like both. But I have a soft spot for the sliding and drifting of 2wd on sand and gravel.

I have the 4wd brushless Ruckus model ECX03016 and parts are very hard to find because there is no parts list published anywhere. It's as if Horizon is treated this model like a red-headed stepchild. I just now noticed that his model is discontinued.

Latest posts

Members online

Back