Questions about new 1/10 Torment

phennessy

Hi all,

I just went down to the local RC shop the other day and picked up a new Torment, It's the first "adult" RC car I've got myself and it's a blast so far. Everything on the truck is fresh out of the box but I have noticed that its really quick for the first 5 minutes or so of each charge but then slows down to about half speed. Is this normal? as far as I can tell all the settings as far as throttle trim and speed are where they should be. I know I need a bigger battery and charger but is this issue because the base battery is just too weak or could it go deeper than that?

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!

Welcome!
First of all, I think you'd better tell us what kind of battery you got out of the box, NiMh or Lipo. Don't forget type of motor (brushed/brushless)
The ESC may need some adjustments due to the battery's chemistry. Hope it helps.

Agreed-- let us know more about the battery and we can provide better info.

That said, my Boost and AMP both came with 1800mAh NiMh batteries and those things gave me about 10-15 mins run time. The first 5-7 minutes would be rippn but then the power would pretty quickly diminish until the car was just crawling around. NiMh batteries fall off pretty quickly. LiPos have a much more consistent delivery until close to low voltage cut-off (about 3.8V per cell or 7.6V total pack voltage). When I switched to 4000mAh LiPo batteries I could drive for 40 minutes easily and the car would have plenty of power most of the time.

Thanks for the quick responses! I thought that was an issue more common with nimh batteries but the one I have is 1800 mah and it says on it lithium polymer, with what seems to be a relatively basic brushed motor, as far as I can tell the settings on the ecs are how they should be and nothing seems to get more than a little warm.

update: I just had my torment out on the road/ front lawn before the rain starts, it seems to be very very quick for the first 3 minutes or so then continues to operate fine just at about half speed, if I turn off the truck and turn it back on it goes back to full speed but again, slows down after a few minutes, the battery is I believe an 1800mah Lipo with a brushed motor and original esc

Welcome @phennessy! that's exactly how my torment behaved straight out of the box. Run time was absolutely terrible with stock 1800mah lipo. Id never get more than 10 mins out of it, even with the throttle limiter at 75% as recommended in the manual. If i was driving on grass or uphill, 3-5mins of heavy bashing was all i could get. First thing i did was get myself a pair of big cheap batteries. Most common connectors i saw on batteries were Deans connectors and i got myself a Deans to EC3 adaptor.

One word of warning - dont run these brushed motors for too long without checking the motor temperatures. These brushed motors arent designed for long run times so youll need to let it cool down at minimum between battery packs, maybe more.

The ESC is designed to limit the throttle once the battery drops below a preset voltage (usually 6-6.4v) to protect the lipo. I found that turning it off and back on would allow it to run at full speed for a short while. Not recommended though as lipo batteries get permanently damaged when their voltage drops too low

Thanks for all the insight! Im glad I'm not the only one aha, I was offered a stronger battery and appropriate charger when I bought the truck and turned it down, (spending that extra 100$ or so hurts a bit) now I'm regretting that, I'll head back down and pick that up hopefully in the next week so when all this snow finally melts I'll be good to go!

Good call...it’s the saddest thing having a new car and only getting 10 mins play after waiting a couple of hours to charge it!

1800mah lipo won really give ya much juice on a sct. I advise you to go down to hobbyking and look for some cheap 5000mah 2s lipo. They work perfectly fine for me and I got mine for around 16 bucks only, while your there, get some other stuff, the accucel 6 6a for 20 bucks is probably the best lipo charger you can get for that price. It doesn't come with a power supply so if you have any old console or pc, you can mod the PSU for it to work. ( many vids show how to do that on yt)

5000mah lipo, its even approved by roar. $14
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-2s1p-20c-hardcase-pack-roar-approved-de-warehouse.html

Turnigy Accucel 6 for $20 (you can get the 10a model if you want more power)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-accucel-6-50w-6a-balancer-charger-w-accessories.html

Chuckeasy, the 2S 1800 mAh Lipo is 7.4 volts and setting the cut-off voltages to 6 to 6.4 volts is to high and will shutdown (slow the vehicle) almost immediately. You should set the cut-off voltages to 3 to 3.4 volts. Ledge is right, get a bigger 2S mAh battery, 5000 mAh to 5500 mAh 35C to 50C and you will get a much longer run time. And as mentioned, be careful of the brushed motor, they do get super hot.

After you get a lipo, you'll notice a pretty good increase in power ( in my case around like 40% :p).
If your motor gets too hot too soon, you can gear down the pinion a couple teeth, maybe 2 teeth lower.

@weave When I mentioned the ESC initiating low voltage cutoff at 6-6.4v, I was talking about total voltage of the 2S pack, not the voltage of the individual cells (I.e. 3-3.2v per cell). The standard Dynamite 60a WP ESC is actually not programmable - I just couldn’t remember what the factory cutoff voltage was.

You can get relatively cheap brushless combo motors on EBay. My son bought a combo GoolRc 4900 KV for 39 dollars. The only thing is you will have get the program card in order to program the ESC. You can sometimes find a GoolRc combo brushless with the program card on EBay. If your on a budget it's a great motor combo.

I did get a GoolRC Brushless combo but burnt out the ESC pretty quickly on 3s. Kept the motor and now running a Hobbywing 120a SC8 and loving that combination.

But yes - I’d second that recommendation for a Gool RC Combo on 2s Lipo, great bang for buck

I would suggest to spend 10 more dollars for the leopard brushless combo over the goolrc.

Much more trustworthy esc in my opinion, idk

Managed to get down to hotrod hobbies in Hamilton, they've got a pretty wild carpeted indoor track and I happened to show up on race day, anyway I got myself a gens ace 5000mah hardcase lipo battery along with an htrc balance charger, the battery lets me go full tilt for no less than 30 minutes and charges back up in about 45 minutes, It wasn't exactly a cheap trip but was definitely worth it, there are a lot of great places to tear through in town.. just waiting for this snow to melt

Latest posts

Members online

Back