Replacing the set screws on the drive shaft?

bitbitbit

My week old Temper just started making a ticking noise when going forward. After talking to HH, they said they would send me a new transmission (I am not sure if that's really where the noise is coming from but it's worth a try).

In anticipation of the new transmission, I started taking apart the truck. Being a rc newbie, I managed to strip the hex set screws on the drive shaft. I am not sure how I will get them out yet but I am more concerned about getting replacements once I have them removed. Anyone knows where I can buy new ones? I know I can get them as part of the temper hardware set but that's a lot of money when I only need 4 out of the whole set. Thanks in advance!

Yeah I tried to take mine out and did the same. I'm afraid I'm going to have to drill them out and get new shafts.
As far as the ticking goes try this. If you turn your Temper over and hold it in your hands and give it throttle does it still tick? With it laying on it's back and the wheels spinning, press down on the axles, does the tick stop? Mine was making a ticking sound and sort of stuttering as it ran. I realized that the angle was really bad for the drive shafts coming into the axles and my u-joints were binding. I added a small spacer between the top link and the axle housing to tilt my axle back just a tad and the ticking and stuttering went away. May or may not be the same issue. Just a thought.

Yeah I tried to take mine out and did the same. I'm afraid I'm going to have to drill them out and get new shafts.
As far as the ticking goes try this. If you turn your Temper over and hold it in your hands and give it throttle does it still tick? With it laying on it's back and the wheels spinning, press down on the axles, does the tick stop? Mine was making a ticking sound and sort of stuttering as it ran. I realized that the angle was really bad for the drive shafts coming into the axles and my u-joints were binding. I added a small spacer between the top link and the axle housing to tilt my axle back just a tad and the ticking and stuttering went away. May or may not be the same issue. Just a thought.

I am gonna try heating up the screw with a soldering iron and see if that can get the loctite to melt but there is a good chance that I will have to drill them out as well. Do you know of any 3rd party driveshaft options? The stock one seems to have rather poor quality

I also suspected that the noise was from the driveshaft but when I flipped the Temper over and press down the front/rear end (so that the drive shaft is no longer at an angle), the noise doesn't go away. If it's the u joint binding, I think doing what I did should have stopped the noise right? Another thing to note is that the noise only happens when there is some load (if the wheels are off the ground, there is no noise. I need to put my hands on the wheels and give it some resistance to get the noise going). Also the noise also is not audible when going full speed (either direction) or going backward.

Let me know if heating it works. I need to replace my entire front axle, it's broken so many times it's literally held together with Superglue. Now I broke a C-Hub so I'm going to have to replace the entire axle and I'm gonna have to get that driveshaft off too! Not much in the aftermarket world. I haven't seen any aluminum ones or anything.

The Redcat Everest 16 is the same machine as the Temper and uses the same parts.
I found factory Redcat replacements here on Amazon!

If you go to my Blog (http://temper.loosenuts.com/) you can download the parts list for the Everest 16 and then search for those parts to use on the Temper.

Heating didn't work for me. I heated it to the point where it's too hot to touch but perhaps the screws were just too stripped already to have enough grip. I guess I will try a screw extractor or jb welding an allen to the screw

Let me know if heating it works. I need to replace my entire front axle, it's broken so many times it's literally held together with Superglue. Now I broke a C-Hub so I'm going to have to replace the entire axle and I'm gonna have to get that driveshaft off too! Not much in the aftermarket world. I haven't seen any aluminum ones or anything.

The Redcat Everest 16 is the same machine as the Temper and uses the same parts.
I found factory Redcat replacements here on Amazon!

If you go to my Blog (http://temper.loosenuts.com/) you can download the parts list for the Everest 16 and then search for those parts to use on the Temper.

Yeah I was going to look for a tiny backout/extractor. At this point it would probably just be easier to by the new driveshafts!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back