Ruckus 1/18 4WD Propulsion problem

FranckM

Hello,

I bought some years ago this 1/18 4WD buggy to my little son instead of buying low cost buggy. I limited throttle to avoid problem because he was too young but tried it at full speed and wa impressed (I never had one before).
He (we) played a lot with. Then we put it in a case and forgot it some time... After some monthes without using it, he wanted to play again week-end.
After charging the battery, he played a few minutes then had a collision with something and something happenned...

Now the speed is very slow even with max throttle... Motors is rotating with a "big noise" (I would say like max speed probably) but Ruckus is moving slowly. If I put the wheels up, then they seems to turn really quickly but once the're in contact with the ground,it looks like it is not enough power to go at full speed... I would not say it doesn't run, it only moves slow. I took a look to driveshaft and front/rear transmission but I don't really see problem. Everything is rotating.
I thought he played with throttle limiter of radio control but not. I do not have any idea of what coud happen.

Does someone have an idea of possible problem ?

if he was on the throttle and the wheel hit something causing it to stop abruptly, could've taken out a diff... you could pretty much sneeze on the ecx 1:18 diffs and take them out! mine right now the rear diff is going bye bye again and if you ease into it real slow you can get it going but if you just give it decent throttle from a stop you hear the diff click as it rolls away slowly.

Yeah it happens internal in the riffs. Shouldn't be able to tell from outside except that you could keep both front or rear wheels on the ground to keep the diff input from moving (if checking front diff keep both rear wheels on the ground, or reversed for checking rear). Then with the problem end in the air hold one wheel still and try and turn the other. You shouldn't be able to, and don't force it real hard because it's all just plastic but if the wheel turns and you hear/feel clicking then that diff is toast. If it turns but no clicking maybe a screw came out of the output/gear and the gear is just spinning around thre diff output because it's no longer "keyed" onto the shaft.

if he was on the throttle and the wheel hit something causing it to stop abruptly, could've taken out a diff... you could pretty much sneeze on the ecx 1:18 diffs and take them out! mine right now the rear diff is going bye bye again and if you ease into it real slow you can get it going but if you just give it decent throttle from a stop you hear the diff click as it rolls away slowly.
https://www.ecxforum.com/threads/1-18-ruckus-differential-problems-and-upgrades-discussion.295/

Yeah I'd read through that. Just shimmed a stocker and ordered a few sets of the duratrax gears since it seemed they were hard to find at the time so I got extras. Now that I've killed this last shimmed stocker I might try the duratrax gears. I didn't have much luck finding those ball diffs listed but I didn't really try that hard either...

Yeah I'd read through that. Just shimmed a stocker and ordered a few sets of the duratrax gears since it seemed they were hard to find at the time so I got extras. Now that I've killed this last shimmed stocker I might try the duratrax gears. I didn't have much luck finding those ball diffs listed but I didn't really try that hard either...
Don't bother with the Duratrax gears, get Mini 8ight diffs and use franken axles, you make frankenaxles by chopping a center driveshaft in half, you will need 2. See if you can find the complete diff cases from the Mini 8ight from an eBay chop shop so you can get the diff pinion gear to replace the stock plastic one. Also I would put in the Mini 8ight slipper assembly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-Mini-8IGHT-DB-Buggy-4WD-1-14-Front-Differential-Ring-Pinion-Outdrives/152967148569?epid=17017427088&hash=item239d8d7419:g:NGYAAOSwxAhawGq4:sc:USPSFirstClass!57701!US!-1&LH_BIN=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-Mini-...VawGwV:sc:USPSFirstClass!57701!US!-1&LH_BIN=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECX-1-18-R...NbYzw4:sc:USPSFirstClass!57701!US!-1&LH_BIN=1

Pic of the frankenaxles.
brzbidl-jpg.2016

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back