Ruckus Turning issues

rln_thnder

So long story short I am trying to fix my kids ECX Ruckus which I got him a year ago, but stopped turning correctly after it had a collision with a tree that popped off one of the camber/toe link pieces that just snaps on. He drove it for a little before getting me, but I figure it didn't hurt much.

However since then at any speed it seems to turn one direction fine but not the other. In an effort to fix this I have replaced the Servo, added the RPM servo eliminator and Traxxas servo saver at the servo. But I have not remediated the problem as of yet. It seems to turn OK when holding it but seems to not have enough power even though I went with a stronger servo.

Is it possible the issue is the Spektrum SR201 not signaling correctly to the servo?

Any help will be appreciated and I might just have to take this into a shop as it has been sitting for over 7 months since I haven't had time to get back to it and the shop I got it from closed.

If you disengage the servo from the linkage, can you manually detect any abnormality in the steering when turning it full lock to lock? Is the servo saver fully tightened down? It is possible that there is something causing friction in the linkage that the servo saver cannot push through due to it being too loose.

Have you tried tuning in the steering on your transmitter? I think someone posted a video on how to do it on this forum.

You replaced the servo but did you make sure it was centered in its rotation before you installed it? It's possible that you are hitting the end of the servo's throw to one side not allowing the truck to make use of its full steering angle.

Hi guys and thanks for the replies.

@X: Yes I did not detect anything in the linkage as being the problem as it moves freely from side to side without any "hitches" or ruff spots felt.

@Ausxhorn: I just did some looking as I was not aware you could reprogram end points etc... on the transmitter. I will look into that.

@MokeyFist: I got it what I feel was center. I plugged it in and rotated it right and left and the movement seemed to go back to what appeared to be center from looking at the movement before reconnecting the linkage.

Also note that the turning behavior before and after replacing the servo is almost identical. Under no load(i.e. holding the truck in the air) it seems to turn fine but under load it on the ground or moving it doesn't appear to have full range of motion in one direction(left I think).

Last edited:
So just to update, the issue must have been the controller limit/tuning was off. Not sure how this happened, but as a hardware/software person I cant believe I missed this and also think it is cool that you can do this.

This also let me see that the throttle was set lower than 100% which is fine just nice to know. Definitely notice a handling difference with adding the servo-saver eliminator and moving the saver to the servo itself. Also the faster and stronger metal servo makes a difference in handling.

Thanks for the help.

@X: Yes I did not detect anything in the linkage as being the problem as it moves freely from side to side without any "hitches" or ruff spots felt.

@Ausxhorn: I just did some looking as I was not aware you could reprogram end points etc... on the transmitter. I will look into that.

@MokeyFist: I got it what I feel was center. I plugged it in and rotated it right and left and the movement seemed to go back to what appeared to be center from looking at the movement before reconnecting the linkage.

Also note that the turning behavior before and after replacing the servo is almost identical. Under no load(i.e. holding the truck in the air) it seems to turn fine but under load it on the ground or moving it doesn't appear to have full range of motion in one direction(left I think).

I'd say its the servo saver. They are designed to expand or flex when there's to much of a load on the steering. That's why when you pick up the truck the steering works fine, no load. In my opinion they suck, you can buy a servo saver eliminator kit. Or... Cheat and take a zip tie, wrap it around the radius of ur servo saver and tighten it down so ur saver can't expand or open.

Last edited:
Same exact situation with my ruckus...even down to fixing it for my kid. Read the thread a couple of times and can't figure out how Rln thunder fixed the problem? Did he tune the transmitter? Cannot find info on that process online. Any help is much appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back