Stripped spur gear

Hello all,
I was hoping I could get some help. I have a brushed Ruckus that the motor blew up in. so naturally I went to a castle brushless system the 3800kv with a 15T pinon gear. I stripped the spur gear. the slipper was tighten "professional" by the local hobby shop. I ordered a metal one to prevent future stripping but was hoping I could get some sort of explanation on why it stripped in the first place! My two guess are I messed up gear mesh or the slipper was two tight. When the spur gear stripped it was on pavement in the matter of like 3 minutes.

@ruckus4x4project my first guess would probably be the gear mesh as that's a sure fast way to strip any gear.

Any good tricks to setting that i tried the paper method. unless I messed something up (always possible). also how tight should the clutch be i run about 60% of the time on pavement, 20% on grass, and 20% on a looser gravel or loose surface

@ruckus4x4project I've learned a trick years ago that has really helped me get the "perfect" mesh without any issues. I've never had good luck using paper to set mesh even though I know others have, but for me I use an empty parts bag. For me it seems to set the perfect mesh without any trouble.

Maybe you didn't mess up anything. Maybe you landed roughly and the motor moved, ruining the mesh?

If the metal spur turns out too loud, some people just convert to 32 pitch, which has rather sturdier teeth, and use plastic without issues.

Maybe you didn't mess up anything. Maybe you landed roughly and the motor moved, ruining the mesh?

If the metal spur turns out too loud, some people just convert to 32 pitch, which has rather sturdier teeth, and use plastic without issues.
didn't take it over any jumps so im going to say i probably messed something up the motor was in tight i couldn't get the screws to spin any more so i don't think it was that. My car is already 32 pitch. i bough a metal 32 pitch one so we shall see what happens. The car is already really loud I honestly don't know how much louder it can get.

@ruckus4x4project I've learned a trick years ago that has really helped me get the "perfect" mesh without any issues. I've never had good luck using paper to set mesh even though I know others have, but for me I use an empty parts bag. For me it seems to set the perfect mesh without any trouble.
okay i will try the parts back next time. Thanks!

If you used the paper technique, I'm going to guess you made the mesh too loose. a Fairly common thing when people first try that. For me, mesh is learned and no amount of magical tricks (paper) will really help give you a reliable mesh. It's all about the feel and sound of the two gears meshing and to a lesser extent....sight if you can see the mesh well enough.

If you used the paper technique, I'm going to guess you made the mesh too loose. a Fairly common thing when people first try that. For me, mesh is learned and no amount of magical tricks (paper) will really help give you a reliable mesh. It's all about the feel and sound of the two gears meshing and to a lesser extent....sight if you can see the mesh well enough.
I will keep this in mind when doing this next time! thanks!

Fwiw you don't even hear my metal spur any more..sounds like any other 2wd rc car.

But I would assume mesh is what killed it...that would even mess up metal gears.

Fwiw you don't even hear my metal spur any more..sounds like any other 2wd rc car.

But I would assume mesh is what killed it...that would even mess up metal gears.
Mine is a 4x4 i hope i can get the mesh right this time. i'm very nervous for it because i don't want to destroy another gear

Mine is a 4x4 i hope i can get the mesh right this time. i'm very nervous for it because i don't want to destroy another gear

If you are worried, run it on the bench a little before taking it out for a drive. If it doesn't sound right, or immediately overheats, adjust it before it grenades.

Just to update everyone it was not my fault the spur gear stripped the "professional" sold me the wrong pitch size sold me a 32P but it's mod 1 size on ruckus 4x4

He may have sold you the wrong size, however you also failed to notice the difference between 32p and mod 1. ;) Lesson learned.

He may have sold you the wrong size, however you also failed to notice the difference between 32p and mod 1. ;) Lesson learned.
Didn't know there was a difference. I'm new to this so no need to say that. Thanks!

It's all a learning experience. Everyone makes mistakes along the way.

I had that happened to me once, but the "professional" replaced all my damage parts for no charge and installed them the right way the second time !

Members online

No members online now.
Back