Temper GEN 2, upgrades (journey)

kruzracing169

I would like to start a post on my journey through the upgrades. I want to capture everything I do. Is it good or bad? I will give my honest feedback, reviews and how-to's.

Enjoy!
IMG_20190406_191110707.jpg

Last edited:
I missed my first change, it was the wheels and tires.

I switched to Boom Racing 1.9 aluminum beadlock wheels with Pitbull Growlers 4.75.

Overall it was really nice. I am still getting the full feel, I'm not totally convinced yet. Don't change to these yet, if your reading this. Hold off for a bit. I have an link to modifying your stocks.

IMG_20190322_225852617.jpg

What's missing is some cuts with a Dremel. I will update photo soon.

Last edited:
My next set of upgrades are the electronics.

15548669688398258079770015139850.jpg

ONYX 40A Brushed ESC #ONXM1040

Radiolink RC4GS radio with R4F receiver

Team KNK #KNK12X8BRA brass wheel hexes

Zippy Flightmax 20C 1300mah 2S Lipo battery, for an 1/18th scale RC. Mini battery

1 set of XT60 battery plugs

Que-T 10mm, 2 Leds Angel Eyes & Demon Eyes LED Headlights

(I am still holding off on replacement of the servo, I am seeing how far and hard I can push it. I have been watching other peeps swapping servos, and breaking their screws off in their front steering knuckles. So far knock on wood, mine is still stock. I will replace my Servo and differentials and shocks, when one of these break.)

Side note; if you just want to add to the lighting only, you can. Match how I did the wiring for lighting, and you will not need to change ESC/RX. (Reference from video).

Last edited:
This is not an upgrade per se, just an upgrade in diff grease. Stock has minimal grease, and I switched out to marine grade. Also knowledge is power, haha.

IMG_20190331_163104969.jpg
IMG_20190331_162946092.jpg

Any advice on seperating the rear hubs from the axles?
Rear hubs? If your trying to pull the axles out, you need to take the whole differential apart. The inner bearings hold them in, when sandwiched between the two halves of the differential.
Take wheels off, remove wheel hexes, two screws hold the end differential hubs on, then center screws at the pumpkins.

Correct, but seperating the hubs from the axle. I actually stripped the center section of the diff out its plastic versus the gears being metal I assume it's a fail safe as to not hurt other components in a bind. ( I have one on order! I was just curious.

The hubs are separate pieces from axles.
inCollage_20190420_010957303.jpg

Well, that sucks. Did you turn screws the wrong way when taking it apart?

Plastic differentials, plastic hubs, metal gears......it's cheaper to make verses aluminum differential parts. It is nothing to do with a fail safe. I mean sure, it's plastic, but that was not the idea behind it. Cut costs of making the parts.
I will be upgrading to aluminum differentials with metal gears, once I am ready for shock upgrade with servo.

Yeah, I have not had any issues to date, (knock on wood), and I have pushed it hard so far during my crawls. I'm actually trying to find that breaking point.

Just messing around, I was excited for all the new electronics and first run!
My true crawl will be coming soon, I am just working on editing video, other builds and keeping RCs going.

Last edited:
I was talking about the ring section not the actual housing. And yes I understand the the hub and axel are separate, my question is do they just pull apart?? My part names may be off lol.

Sorry for any confusion.......if you refer to the exploded view diagram in manual for clarification. I believe what your calling a hub, is what ECX is calling a spool assembly (ECX212009), yes it comes apart. I would just call them diff gears, ha.
Screenshot_20190420-082348.png

I have the doomsday 390 on mine and keep stripping the spools please let me know if you find an aluminum one for purchase.

thank you for the confirmation about a week ago I ordered the exact spool you're talking about I'm still waiting for it to come in from Hobby Shop from what I can tell from the pictures they look the same except for the shape of the axle shaft they look slightly different one is more oval shaped so this wasn't a problem with yours? I only ordered one that day cuz I figured I'd check it out and see if it work first before I bought one for the front. Do you think that I'm going to end up Spinning Out The Front plastic one shortly after installing the new aluminum 1?

No problems, the shafts slide right into the spool. I’m not sure what you’re asking about spinning out the front one?? I blew out my rear so I just ordered 2 right away and did them both.

No problems, the shafts slide right into the spool. I’m not sure what you’re asking about spinning out the front one?? I blew out my rear so I just ordered 2 right away and did them both.
I just meant do you think the front spool will be stripped out shortly after installing the aluminum Spool in the rear

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back