Torment 4wd upgrade question

crispy514

Hi all,

I just got a torment 4wd for my lads to play with (honestly i do let them use it occasionally! :D :D ) but the run time on stock brushed motor/nimh battery is pretty low (max 10 mins).

I'm a complete newbie coming back into the hobby after 24 yrs (still have a vintage tamiya hilux racer that can outpace the torment on a straight) so my questions are:-

What difference would keeping it stock and moving to 2s Lipo's make? faster speeds? longer run time?

Would moving to brushless be a better idea? if so would this :-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GoolRC-393...&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=goolrc+s3650+esc+combo
be a reasonable upgrade? I would like it to be faster but i'm not looking for silly speeds.
As i understand it the 4wd torent has metal gears so i'm presuming i wouldnt need to make any other upgrades?

Thanks

Going to a 2s LiPo will make a world of difference (both because of capacity difference and you see longer periods of peak power on a LiPo) in run times and a slight benefit to performance. Depending on the pack you buy and how you drive, you could see anywhere from a half hour to an hour. Most buy around a 5000mAh with atleast 20c, but preferably upwards of 35c.

Thanks for the response. So moving to a 2s lipo won't mean it runs slower than a 8.4v nimh battery?
Is it worth the upgrade to brushless?
I notice that the ruckus (pretty much the same parts) has a 4wd brushless version so I'm assuming it's just the motor and esc I'd need to upgrade. (and battery but this looks like a must do upgrade either way.)

Thanks again.

Hi all,

I just got a torment 4wd for my lads to play with (honestly i do let them use it occasionally! :D :D ) but the run time on stock brushed motor/NiMH battery is pretty low (max 10 mins).

I'm a complete newbie coming back into the hobby after 24 yrs (still have a vintage tamiya hilux racer that can outpace the torment on a straight) so my questions are:-

What difference would keeping it stock and moving to 2s LiPo's make? faster speeds? longer run time?

Would moving to brushless be a better idea? if so would this :-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GoolRC-393...&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=goolrc+s3650+ESC+combo
be a reasonable upgrade? I would like it to be faster but i'm not looking for silly speeds.
As i understand it the 4wd torent has metal gears so i'm presuming i wouldnt need to make any other upgrades?

Thanks

I would go with something that has more power like the kinexsis 3000kv system those cheap ones actually have a really small motor inside of them.

Specifically because you have a 4wd.

Hi Crispy, yes it would make a world of difference if you went brushless. It really depends how much you want to spend. Conspiracy of One is right, a 2S LiPo will give you a lot more run time and a 35C would be your best bet if you plan on staying stock. If you plan on upgrading to brushless, make sure the motor and ESC will be able to handle a 3S LiPo battery has that will probably be your next upgrade. The voltage on 3S LiPo's are 11.1 to 11.7 volts depending on other factors. I'm not too familiar with the brushless motor you want although it seems mighty cheap for a brushless motor, however it has a lot of goodies that cones with it. I run all Castle 4600KV brushless motors in all my trucks with 3S Lipo batteries. The Castle set-up is $110 and that includes the ESC, but not the radio (the controller), however the Torment controller well work with the Castle/ESC set-up. You can buy a better controller if you want, that is up to you. one other thing about the Castle motors, if they go bad or burn up under normal use, they will replace or repair the motor at no charge, so keep the boxes if you go Castle. You can also put some bigger tires on and that will give you some more speed, if that's what your into. My Torment was clock at 70 plus mph so you can see I'M into speed.
They have kit where you can raise the body up so you can put the biggest tires possible before you have to change out the axles for the next step up. Anyway have fun and enjoy the hobby, i'm 73 and love ever minute of it. Got the neighborhood kid involved and now I repair and upgrade there cars and trucks for them. Keeps them on the good side of life. HAPPY RCING!!!!!

Attachments

• 20170829_010030[1].jpg
    20170829_010030[1].jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170829_014311[1].jpg
    20170829_014311[1].jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170829_014427[1].jpg
    20170829_014427[1].jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170829_014204[1].jpg
    20170829_014204[1].jpg