What's your LiPo battery of choice?

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Staff member
LiPo's batteries range from all price points to really cheap (in every sense of the word) to crazy expensive and some are better than others obviously. For the price I personally think that SPC and SMC LiPo batteries are a great combo for price / quality.

So, what's your battery of choice? Hopefully this thread can help out someone who is just getting into the hobby or someone who is looking for a different pack to try.

I only have one, the Turnigy 3800mAh 25C hardcase from hobbyking. It was less than 14 euros at the time, which is insane (now it's 14.01 if you wait for the discount). It works well, doesn't get warm (stock Amp) and seems to have the capacity on the sticker based on charge time.

In the Boost and Slash I run Ace hard case 2 cell 5000mAh 25C, and in my crawlers I run Turnigy 3 cell 800 and 1300mAh 30C. I have not had any problem with either brand.

LHS always had Venom, never had an issue! They have a sweet 2000 pack perfect for 1/18's

I have to wonder where all these batteries are made. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were really only a very few manufacturers producing for all these umpty-billion little brands everywhere. I've never even heard of SPC or SMC and I'd been trolling the dark underbelly of LiPo brands shopping around the past few weeks.

Turnigy 5000mAh 2S1P 20C Hardcase Pack
Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 3S 35~70C Lipo Pack

Both from Hobbyking AU (cant import LiPos), if i could id buy Venom for those adapters too.

Dinogy Sport 6000mAh 30C 2S
LHS 5200mAh 70C 2S

The 70C runs a lot harder than the 30C. Was worth the extra money.

Venom. I love the connectors! Batteries are pricey, but exchanges at my LHS are stupid easy.

I have 2X 2S 5000mAh 20C in hardcase, 1X 2S 4000mAh 20C hardcase, and a 3S 5400mAh 20C softpack.

I recently picked up a Turnigy 2S "shorty" pack so I could remove some of the weight from the rear of my Boost buggy. It's a 4,600mAh/90C pack with plug tubes instead of pre-wired leads. The tubes extend completely through the pack so the ESC leads can be plugged into either side (not sure of the utility of this design). I must say, those exposed contacts scare the bejeezus out of me... I handle that thing like it's a snake.

That said, the 90C rate definitely packs more "punch" than my Venom 4,000mAh/20C batteries. But my next short pack will have pre-wire leads. :)

I recently picked up a Turnigy 2S "shorty" pack so I could remove some of the weight from the rear of my Boost buggy. It's a 4,600mAh/90C pack with plug tubes instead of pre-wired leads. The tubes extend completely through the pack so the ESC leads can be plugged into either side (not sure of the utility of this design). I must say, those exposed contacts scare the bejeezus out of me... I handle that thing like it's a snake.

That said, the 90C rate definitely packs more "punch" than my Venom 4,000mAh/20C batteries. But my next short pack will have pre-wire leads. :)

Keep us updated on how that pack performs. For the price the specs are great.

So I lied... my next shorty pack was ANOTHER Turnigy Nano-Tech Ultimate 4.6 (4600) 90C with 5mm plug tubes. The batteries have been working really well in stock (17.5) buggy racing.

Hello everyone. New guy here. Me and my 5yr old son have a couple ecx torment 2wd's. he has an older ecx with nimh 1800 and I have the stock 1800 Lipo. I started with a traxxas nitro sport but it got old quick with all the tuning and adjustments. I want to upgrade my battery but I am a bit confused on which way to go. I will eventually go brushless on my truck and convert my sons to my old parts. I need a battery that will last longer and give my motor a boost without burning it out. 5000 mah 30c 11.1v too much?

I have two kinds of batteries now:
  1. The very cheapest I can find (turnigy/zippy), which I charge in a flower pot filled with sand and always keep in a LiPo bag.
  2. Batteries with manufacturer warranty (venom).
It's nice to have some cheap ones because you don't feel bad leaving them fully charged just in case you wanna go bashing on a whim, or leaving them sitting at the low voltage cutoff point for a week before recharging them. And none of mine have caught fire yet :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back