Where to purchase batteries?

I was just pulling numbers out of my arse to prove that fewer connections is better because every connection is a possible failure point. Adding an adapter doubles the number of connections. There's no way to know what the actual failure rate is, but @slick2500 apparently had a bad one, and I've had a wire break inside the connector of a $10 ebay ESC, so I think 1/50 may be optimistic, lol. These things get pummeled when you're riding the rough stuff too.
While adding a connector does double the connections, it doesn't double the failure rate. Whether you believe it or not, the failure rate is under 5% or 5 times out of 100. Again, human error puts you there or higher.

The argument here amuses me a bit. The fact is that soldering on new connectors is not attainable for everyone, but, it is the "best" approach for adapting power cabling. The argument that more connections always equals more issues though is sound, save for some examples that have proven themselves through trial. If you have the money to spend, go Venom and never have to worry about it again.

I'm quite good with soldering and have the equipment, but I prefer Venom batteries so I can swap batteries between vehicles at a moments notice.

Going with a quality/better battery/right battery with connectors for the car is the best course of action. Not everyone is willing to pay for a quality soldering setup they will seldom use. When does that 50-100 soldering setup start paying for itself? If you are saving, say 20 bux, going turnigy are you going to invest in a good soldering station and ends or would you buy connectors plus the turnigy battery or would you just get a good battery?

Cost and ease play a big factor. If you are going to get heavily into the hobby, you will eventually get a soldering station. If you are going to be a basher or always tool around the house, you will do whatever is easiest and cheapest, unless you have the want or the cash to spend.

This Iron is probably overkill even and it's $25, you don't need anything fancy, I use the cheapo from Harbor Freight, as do a few others, and have not had any issues.

This Iron is probably overkill even and it's $25, you don't need anything fancy, I use the cheapo from Harbor Freight, as do a few others, and have not had any issues.
If I were doing it, I wouldn't get the cheapest thing that came along. I would take the time to research and come up with something that isn't going to fall on the floor or burn me. chances are less that it won't roll off the table or put a hole in my foot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...ng+station&dpPl=1&dpID=41B9YPknwfL&ref=plSrch

maybe a little better

https://www.amazon.com/X-Tronic-302...=1486402701&sr=8-6&keywords=soldering+station

can't forget about helping hands
https://www.amazon.com/SE-MZ101B-He...02845&sr=8-3&keywords=soldering+helping+hands

how about a good tip cleaner?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N411WDM/ref=twister_B01MXMH47L?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Do you need any of it? No. You can get away with a cheapy iron...but again, if I am doing it, I am doing it once and done. I have gone through a lot of the cheap irons, tips dead, iron stops working. Sometimes they last for two connectors, sometimes 10...sometimes 40, the cheap ones all seem to die quick in my hands.

Last edited:
I bought the cheapest 60W on the rack (18 euros) and it failed after a few months, but two year warranty so I just got a new one. This one is like 18 months old now but it wasn't used that much. Maybe I should try to break it in the next six months, lol.

That $40 weller you posted looks kinda neat though, I miss a good stand and sponge.

That $40 weller you posted looks kinda neat though, I miss a good stand and sponge.

Using a sponge makes the solder gods sad. Use the tip cleaner @sc302 linked. What I affectionately call "the golden affro". :D

It doesn't ship to Belgium, sadly :( I'm all stoked to go soldering now, and my chinese junk is on its way!

Edit: amazon.de has it though... For a whopping 160 euros, lmao.

Yea there are other options, thanks for the links. None are as feature-rich as that X-tronic though. Gonna keep using my cheapies until I find a great deal like that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back