1:18 Ruckus steering servo upgrade

mikel81

I kept hearing how there was no servo that would fit the mini ruckus. So when mine finally fried I decided to go looking for something better that would work. I found a great servo that works with very little modification. I posted this on another forum but I figured it would be useful here.

The stock bracket is a little snug but no problem, maybe half a mm too tight. And the servo saver stuck out a little so I dremeled a half circle for it to fit in. The bolt doesn't stick out like in the picture, I shortened it and the head fits inside the cup now.

The servo is a Hitec HS-85MG+
http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product

They also have a plastic gear version (HS-85BB) that is the same size if you want a cheaper solution.

Or a waterproof version (HS-5086WP), I got the MG and just waterproofed it myself.

DSC01110.jpg

DSC01113.jpg

Yes. I used the same servo saver. I may have had to change the servo saver gear but if I did the ruckus came with it.

To waterproof it I used grease at the opening and either plastidip or liquid electrical tape in the seam of the case.

Kind of like this here http://www.instructables.com/id/Waterproof-your-servo-motors/?ALLSTEPS
But I opened the servo and did the mating surfaces instead of just coating the outside so way less messy and should last longer.

Awesome! Just bought the EMAX servo for my Roost, ill post some pics of the installation process for anyone who is interested once it gets in.

Well just got the part in, when this man says drop in he truly means a drop in unit. It fit with all the existing factory parts like a glove. No modifications or extra parts needed (Just make sure to save everything from the factory servo mount including the servo arm) Got it from the linked flite test store to my front door for 10 bucks. Can’t beat this upgrade. Thanks for this info Konabud!!

Update* Not as many pics just due they would look just like konabuds photo but I’m showing the servo in the 1/18 Roost just in case anyone isn’t sure if it’ll fit.

Attachments

• 6A644625-055B-4DF0-9DB4-5FDD383D29AC.jpeg
    6A644625-055B-4DF0-9DB4-5FDD383D29AC.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 084AA779-28DE-4F37-AE2F-AB2CAA126AC9.jpeg
    084AA779-28DE-4F37-AE2F-AB2CAA126AC9.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hello
An update to this thread: I'm very thankfull because I found a good servo replacement, the original one broke after 1 month (daily usage, my son is fond of his roost). The EMAX ES3154 have been replaced by the ES3054 but no problem, it fit the same.

The ES3054 is more powerfull then the original one, huge improvment. You need to reduce a little the stearing bar.

This is a long shot since this thread is so old but I’ll try. I read this and got an EMAX servo for my sons 1/18 Ruckus. It worked great for about 5 minutes. After that it started steering to the right every time the throttle was pulled and won’t respond to any steering inputs. When I turn the car on it self centers and turns both ways perfect. The problem just occurs when the throttle is applied. Any ideas of what the problem could be? When I installed the servo I put everything in just the way it came out.

This is a long shot since this thread is so old but I’ll try. I read this and got an EMAX servo for my sons 1/18 Ruckus. It worked great for about 5 minutes. After that it started steering to the right every time the throttle was pulled and won’t respond to any steering inputs. When I turn the car on it self centers and turns both ways perfect. The problem just occurs when the throttle is applied. Any ideas of what the problem could be? When I installed the servo I put everything in just the way it came out.

what about with reverse throttle? what are your trims set at?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back