2wd Ruckus Diff oil.

Ev0

Has anybody put diff oil in a standard diff? I just pull my diff apart and noticed there are no seals in there...
I was going to put 10000wt in it.

I saw this topic before. My two cents. I lightly oiled. And have runs several years without having to do anything to them and if I opened it up they probably look good. Someone said they sealed it up and filled with oil and it worked for them. My opinion is the add resistance will only slow you down and burn up batteries faster. Plus I would hate to clean that mess if it ever failed or you had a bad crash.

I find that hard to believe that thick ass oil will not add considerable resistance. Show me some proof otherwise. Then I will believe it. Whether the resistance is split between 1or 4 wheels. It still adds up to more than no oil

The thickness just determines how the power is split, if you block one wheel all the power goes to the other one. If both wheel are equally getting traction you getting the same speed as without any grease. The power takes the path of least resistane, but total is the same.
You can easily test this yourself by measuring how fast your tires turn with and without (super thick) oil, just measure the diameter of the pizza cutter shape a tire takes at full speed...
Also, think of it another way, even if you had just 10% losses, that would amount to ~100watts for a decent brushless motor, in just one diff. You'd melt everything in sight in just a few minutes.

I don’t know what 10 percent loss is in your eyes, but in a lot of people’s eyes they buy more expensive parts to gain 10 percent, so........ and your power loss is before the split so no matter how you slice it, it’s a loss. to extend the life of a cheap part??? I’m not testing anything. Fundamental dynamics tells me I’m right and the burden of proof is on you, prove me wrong.....

Whatever.

Coming back to the initial question: 10k is too fluid, it'll leak out. 100k is ok, but pretty different though.

Coming back to to the original question.... no. Why would you put fluid somewhere itcwas not designed to be. Regardless of weight it will leak

Unless you put seals on your shafts, it’s going to be a mess. You can just go putting oil in things. There are no seals. Don’t use oil. If you feel you need it. Spend mountless hours findin and making a gasket and then good luck finding shaft seals. Your car will turn into a oily muddy mess

I sealed it up in about 30 minutes. A couple Of o rings and a step drill. I have run through about 4 battery now with no leaks as if yet

Your right 10k is to thin. its just what I had laying around. But now the seal up seems to be successful at this point. I will go get some thicker stuff.

I find that hard to believe that thick ass oil will not add considerable resistance. Show me some proof otherwise. Then I will believe it. Whether the resistance is split between 1or 4 wheels. It still adds up to more than no oil

It will only add resistance to the differential action between splitting the power between the left and right. It will not reduce the amount of power that get to the wheels overall.

The fluid in the diff is completely irrelevant to how much power reaches the ground. It just changes how it gets there.

I sealed it up in about 30 minutes. A couple Of o rings and a step drill. I have run through about 4 battery now with no leaks as if yet

Your right 10k is to thin. its just what I had laying around. But now the seal up seems to be successful at this point. I will go get some thicker stuff.
Do you have pics of the procedure?

So wait now your telling me it changes the performance of how the gears put power to the ground. Here I was thinking it only kept gears oiled and cooled? Please tell me how this changes power to the ground. I only thought it was a power robbing solution to a problem that doesn’t exist

The thicker the oil / grease, the more equal the power distribution between the two wheels, no matter what.
If there's nothing (open diff), nearly all power goes to the wheel with no traction.
With an infinitely thick oil/grease, it's like a solid axle, same power left and right. And in-between you have all sorts of oil thicknesses.

Latest posts

Members online

Back