370 motor

Mxkid261

Picked up a helion 370 for $10 from LHS and my buddy gave me one of the new dynamite brushed 60A controllers. Awesome combo, has overkill power but creep's great. Couple pictures for anyone looking into a 370. Motor plate has to be drilled and clutch cover had to be trimmed, simple fixes. Otherwise perfect fit. This truck crawls great when setup well. Running hitec ultra torque servo/weighted servo mount, weighted axial beadlocks/tsl's with trimmed foams, thin shock oil, flipped electrics tray, shaved diff's, rear dove tailed/front fenders cut, lowered body. 2s 2200mah lipo.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 58
Couple action shots. Took a little video of my buddy driving it too, he found this cool spot in the woods next to his house. We'll clean it up this spring.

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0465.jpg
    IMG_0465.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 10
Wow, there's barely any body left on that thing :) it seems to get the job done though!

Crawling still puzzles me. Sometimes I'm stupefied at the hills my scx10 climbs (I've had to go after it on all fours on occasion), and then it will be defeated by a mere 20 degree incline because there's some muck on the rocks and it can't find any purchase...

Wow, there's barely any body left on that thing :) it seems to get the job done though!

Crawling still puzzles me. Sometimes I'm stupefied at the hills my scx10 climbs (I've had to go after it on all fours on occasion), and then it will be defeated by a mere 20 degree incline because there's some muck on the rocks and it can't find any purchase...

Ya the body was binding up under hard flexing (that's how I cracked the front) so I took care of that with the sheers lol. I probably could've done wheel wideners and not have had to trim anything, but I wanted to keep the stock track width. I also like the look of it better now Lol. Yes the moss was a pain, and snow had just melted from the day before so the rocks were pretty slick.

Well after about 10 packs I burned up this 370 motor. I was at my buddies and he had a latrax 370 laying there so we threw that in. Crawled for about 15-20 minutes and the power lead de-soldered from the motor it got so hot. Back to the stock motor for now until I decide what to do. I'd like to go brushless but I'm unsure what KV motor I should look into

So what do you think is causing the motors to burn up? Did you use the same stock pinion?
Has anyone thought of putting the motor and pinion from the Barrage on one of these?

So what do you think is causing the motors to burn up? Did you use the same stock pinion?
Has anyone thought of putting the motor and pinion from the Barrage on one of these?

Well I'm not sure what turns those cheap 370 motors were, might have been an issue. Yes, stock pinion. Stock motor runs fine never gets hot. I found a nice 370 over on the rccrawler forum by Team brood racing. Going to give this one a try, and have them recommend if I need a gearing change.

http://www.teambrood.com/store/product.php?productid=17550&cat=263&page=1

Cool, looking forward to hearing what you find out with that motor.
I ordered a Redcat Racing RC 370 Version 2 Motor, should get it this weekend, gonna try it with the stock (14t) pinion and with the Barrage (16t) pinion to see.
I mean if the Barrage is running a 370 with a 16t pinion then hopefully it'll work in the Temper, maybe...
I guess I'll find out.

So I got my Redcat motor this evening and put it in. I had to drill out the slots in the motor mount a little. I used the 14t pinion (what comes with the Temper) first just because I was willing to give up speed for torque. Well Holy Cow! This things scoots now. I don't even want to put the 16t pinion on. It's already quick enough. We'll see if it lasts. I'm using regular NiMH 7.2v batteries and the stock ESC/Receiver so I'm hoping nothing blows up. I ran it for about 5 minutes this evening. Unfortunately it was already dark out by the time I got the motor in. But I did some climbing and it didn't seem to get HOT. Time will tell.
There is a park near my office that I've been crawling at so I'm going to try it out to tomorrow.

Eddie at Team Brood said these mini crawlers will go through brushed motors its tough on them when in a bind. He said they run associated rc18 66 tooth spur gears with those motors. Where did you find a barrage pinion? Did you find the barrage motor too? That is what I would like to run, the temper and barrage run the same spur gear so I figure if it can run the barrage no problem then that tazer 370 should work good in the temper. Says the 370 isnt due till early May.

Yeah I'm wondering how long this motor will last. It seems to be the firs thing to break on the Redcat Volcano (what it comes in). I wanted the Barrage motor but yeah, it's not available yet so I went with this one. We'll see how it lasts. I usually stop every night on the way home at this little park that has a nice pile of rocks to crawl on. If it lasts thru the week then hopefully it's good.

Now my main concern is not busting anything in the drive train. It has a lot more wheel speed and it can hop real easy.
But my tires are really sticky, I need to be careful not to be full throttle and have it catch and snap an axle or driveshaft.

I got the Barrage pinion from HobbyTown (https://www.hobbytown.com/48p-pinion-gear-16t-3.17mm-bore-by-ecx-ecx212019/p538076) but it looks like I got the last one in stock! But I'm almost afraid to put it on.
I don't think I need that much more speed.

Cool, looking forward to hearing how it goes. That's a nice little pack they got there with 2 pinions and the heat sink!

Cool, looking forward to hearing how it goes. That's a nice little pack they got there with 2 pinions and the heat sink!

Ya that's what I figured for $20 Lol. I will hopefully get it in later for a test run and report back. Trying to stay brushed. If I do go brushless I found some low KV tacon motors that would probably work quite well. Heres a 3000kv 30T I have been eyeing up.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m257-2030-3000kv-30t.html

Quick update I have ran the dromida 22T motor a couple times now with no issues. Doesn't even get warm. The only bummer thing was the two pinion gears the kit came with are different pitch so I couldn't gear down like I wanted. Will continue running it and see how it goes.

Sweet! Did the heat sink fit?
So are you running the stock 14t Temper pinion? How are your speeds?
I been running my truck with the new RedCat 370 motor with the 14t pinion for the last several days and have had issues.
Speed wise it's still only a little faster than I walk (going uphill it's much faster than me) but that's fine for me.
It has enough power and torque that where it used to bog down it doesn't and I can now "Bump" it up an obstacle that I previously couldn't.

Yesterday I took my truck for a walk! There is a 1/2 mile gravel walking trail near my office.
So I took the truck down the trail. I stopped to play in the creek the couple times I crossed it (I took the bridge, the truck took the hard way).
All in all I ran it for about 35 minutes straight with the last 10 being all uphill and the motor only got warm.
I'm super happy with the performance now.

I had to cut the heatsink to fit, I knew it wouldn't fit but I got the kit because of the pinions. I'm not sure top speed but its definitely overkill. I have my throttle travel set low so full throttle on my remote its probably 1/2 as fast as it could go. I just like having the extra power so when your bound up you can give the throttle a blip and get it out of a pinch easier

Yeah, I wasn't sure how much of the heat sink you would be able to use, not a lot of room under the hood.
I definitely can't run mine full speed over bumpy ground now, it's hard to keep it under control. Of course now mine has very stiff suspension and is much less forgiving since I basically turned it into a Barrage.
It's finally fun to drive though!

So I knew this was coming! Today I was out back crawling along when I noted the right front wheel wasn't spinning with all the other wheels. At first I thought I had broken an axle shaft, but no. The front "Differential" was to blame. I sorta wore out where the right front axle goes into the diff. It just wore out and rounded out.
I was afraid more power would start to break things!!
Replacement has been ordered.

Last edited:
Ya my suspension is super soft, front wheel can lay on table flat and rears stay put. I also have my throttle limited to like 20% so I cant really beat it on it when in a bind.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back