Bomb proofing the 4X4 Ruckus

slowmethinks

So I'll start and use this thread to chronicle my 4WD adventure...

I've found since owning my Ruckus that there lacks support for this particular machine. So I'll try to remedy that for this fantastic forum.

Furthermore, anyone else with the 4X4 platform (to include the Torment) should post their upgrades, issues, and improvements.

This truck is pretty tough. It does have a few weak points though. Brushed motor, PITA (pain in the asphalt) drive train maintenance, weak steering, and prior issues with non shimmed diffs. I've found that all of this can be remedied.

The new generation of Ruckus comes with the differentials shimmed from the factory. Until very recent, I haven't had any issues with mine. I broke a few teeth about a week ago... :(

I was having issues with my spur gear getting too hot and melting under the slipper. I started cranking my slipper almost all the way down and eventually replaced it with the Hot Racing steel spur. It's been holding up well.

Currently, my weakest points are my wheels. I have had issues with my wheel nuts coming lose. I can crank them down and they somehow come lose. It's frustrating. I'm contemplating using Arrma Talion wheels. I just have to figure out how to adapt to 17mm hexes. :confused:

I upgraded my servo to a Hitec 645MG and the RPM servo saver eliminator. It's held up thus far, but it's a little weak. But not as bad as the OEM. I'll probably upgrade that further to a Turnigy eventually.

I'll post more later. :cool:

I added some GPM shocks from AsiaTees when I put the new motor in. The motor is the MX550 3500Kv from Maclan and the Diamondback 120A ESC from them as well. I'm looking forward to playing with it VERY soon. :D

Attachments

• IMAG1347.jpg
    IMAG1347.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMAG1346.jpg
    IMAG1346.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG1345.jpg
    IMAG1345.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG1316.jpg
    IMAG1316.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 51
So, the motor and 12T pinion made this thing scary fast... :eek:

And that's running on 5200mah 2S 35C Venoms.

I'm excited to try my 3S 30C pack. And I need to clock it as well. I'll have to figure out an app to use for the phone. Anyways, enjoy. And yeah, it survived the roll at the end. Lol.

I did! :cool: I was disappointed and seeing that it only clocked in at 41 mph.

But I'm pretty sure that my receiver is messed up because I'm only getting about 30 yards of reception out of it. Once I get the new one in the mail, I think I'll be able to get a little bit better speed out of this. I'll be happy with 50 miles per hour. Honestly, anything over that and I think this truck would self-destruct. The tires are already pizza cluttering at this speed. :eek:

Damn, 41 mph is already pretty quick. I reckon the stock one does less than half that.

Have you thought about taping the tires?

Yeah, it's scary fast... I may gear it down just a wee bit.

And taping tires? Huh?

Wrap the inside of the tires a few times with some duct tape. Helps the tires not balloon or "pizza cutter" as much.

Fairly easy to remove tires from wheels and then remount them.
Well, I just ordered the Hot Racing 17mm adapter w/ 10mm offset for the Stampede 4X4 so I'm hoping to figure out a way to make those fit. If so, the Arrma Talion has "slightly" larger tires. And I'm tired of boring out the inner hexes of rims. At $26/pair or tires, it's not cheap. That should be my last step to bomb proofing this damn truck. Lol.

Also, painted the new body. And ECX sent Circuit decals with the packaging. Ugh... but I'm happy with my paint job.

Attachments

• IMAG1359.jpg
    IMAG1359.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG1360.jpg
    IMAG1360.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 21
Good news! Hot Racing 17mm hex adapters for Traxxas work! Ordered some Badlands today, it will be about a week and a half to get those...

Now we wait! But man, I'm excited!!!

Attachments

• IMAG1380.jpg
    IMAG1380.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 61
Good news! Hot Racing 17mm hex adapters for Traxxas work! Ordered some Badlands today, it will be about a week and a half to get those...

Now we wait! But man, I'm excited!!!

Sweet! I'm going to buy a set so I can use my Savage wheels on my ECX RCs. :cool:

Patiently waiting for my Badlands from my LHS this evening... it's killing me!

Attachments

• IMAG1464.jpg
    IMAG1464.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG1463.jpg
    IMAG1463.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 58
That looks awesome!

I have a ruckus 4wd brushless and I stripped the hexes in the wheels a lot because the wheel nuts use to loosen everytime it went for a run and it was really annoying! However I did fix this problem by buying some metal 12mm hexes with grub screws, and also using threadlock on the wheel nut....since then no problems!

That looks awesome!

I have a ruckus 4wd brushless and I stripped the hexes in the wheels a lot because the wheel nuts use to loosen everytime it went for a run and it was really annoying! However I did fix this problem by buying some metal 12mm hexes with grub screws, and also using threadlock on the wheel nut....since then no problems!
I have the Hot Racing aluminum hexes on the way. The 17mm adapters still use the 12mm hex, but it's a much tighter fit. But... I tightened down the fastener on the 17mm adapters and gave it a test run. Withing five minutes, one of them spun off to be lost forever. Sooooooo, I had to order a whole new set just for the nut. Note to self, locktite it next time. Doh!

How are the badlands coming along? Are they better than the stock tyres?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back