Can I run 3s in my ECX Torment?

Luke2567

I have a brush less torment and in the book it says 2s and 5-7 NIMH but I have a 3s and wanted to use it but I'm worried it may fry the esc or motor but I was under the impression that if an esc could run 2s it could run 3 I have a brushed redcat blackout that 3s runs fine on plz help if you know

@Luke2567 Nope. If it says 2S only, then 2S only. I’d get a 2S battery and a brushless combo that can handle 3S. 2 for most of the time. Use the 3 when you have plenty of room and want to get silly.

If you have the stock Tazer 45A ESC and motor is ≤ 4000kv, then you can use a 3S LiPo battery...according to specs. Would I do it? No, unless I had a lower kv motor. If I was using something like a 2200kv motor, I'd probably go for it :p.

If you have the stock Tazer 45A ESC and motor is ≤ 4000kv, then you can use a 3S LiPo battery...according to specs. Would I do it? No, unless I had a lower kv motor. If I was using something like a 2200kv motor, I'd probably go for it :p.
I'm still a little but new to this so, can u run it without hurting anything? And it's 3300kv

I run a Redcat Volcano on 3s with 45a esc (not a Tazer) and a 3650 3300kv motor and it runs fine the esc does not get hot and the motor does not either. You need to watch the temp of the esc and the motor when using 3s the more your straining your motor the more amps it will pull. Your motor should be fine as long you are not over geared (to big of pinion) your esc could be ok also as long as you don't let it over heat as well. Your pushing the limit of that esc on 3s with that motor. Get a IR temp gun if you don't have one and try and keep the esc temp below 150F anymore than that you run the risk of burning up the esc with continued use. Escs have thermal protection doesn't mean you need to push it to that sometimes the load is just too much and you fry the esc.

Good luck! and if your that worried get at least a 60a esc and not worry.

I run a Redcat Volcano on 3s with 45a esc (not a Tazer) and a 3650 3300kv motor and it runs fine the esc does not get hot and the motor does not either. You need to watch the temp of the esc and the motor when using 3s the more your straining your motor the more amps it will pull. Your motor should be fine as long you are not over geared (to big of pinion) your esc could be ok also as long as you don't let it over heat as well. Your pushing the limit of that esc on 3s with that motor. Get a IR temp gun if you don't have one and try and keep the esc temp below 150F anymore than that you run the risk of burning up the esc with continued use. Escs have thermal protection doesn't mean you need to push it to that sometimes the load is just too much and you fry the esc.

Good luck! and if your that worried get at least a 60a esc and not worry.
Well I run a 2s and the esc
barley gets warm

It's up to you I would go for it just check it a couple of times the first couple of 3s packs and enjoy.

Depending on where you go to buy brushless motors, specs are sometimes exaggerated, and/or misleading. For a well known reputable brands, I'd go by what the ESC is rated for in the specs. There is usually a suggested motor limit to go by. Like Heyitsme said, there are a few factors that one needs to include. Terrain and gearing being the biggest.

Members online

Back