ECX AMP MT Slipping Clutch

I have to mention that the ECX metal gear set isn’t really the best especially if you are going to run locked slipper I destroyed three $25 gear sets running my car on locked slipper it isn’t too pretty.

I have to mention that the ECX metal gear set isn’t really the best especially if you are going to run locked slipper I destroyed three $25 gear sets running my car on locked slipper it isn’t too pretty.

I didn't mean to run the slipper on full lock. I couldn't figure out why the car was slipping intill i took the trans out and opened it up. I think what ended up breaking the gear was when i changed from the Ecx non foam filled tires to some proline form filled ones, the grip was a huge increase and im pretty sure that is what ended up breaking the gear.

Yea your gonna notice that if you get multiple ECX rcs because their tire compounds are way too hard and tend to have terrible grip. They are great if the driver likes to run off-road and soft terrain because they dig in well. But anything else and it’s trash. Pro lines are great tires hope they work out for you.

I’m pretty surprised that the plastic around the pin in the top shaft stripped, never seen that before.

I used to have a torment that had plastic gears in it and I ran it so much that they started melting I just had some cheap black grease on them and it all flung off. 4000kv top speed around 43mph started making weird noises:rolleyes: never shreaded the teeth off the gears themselves before I swapped them for metals!

Yea your gonna notice that if you get multiple ECX rcs because their tire compounds are way too hard and tend to have terrible grip. They are great if the driver likes to run off-road and soft terrain because they dig in well. But anything else and it’s trash. Pro lines are great tires hope they work out for you.

I’m pretty surprised that the plastic around the pin in the top shaft stripped, never seen that before.

I used to have a torment that had plastic gears in it and I ran it so much that they started melting I just had some cheap black grease on them and it all flung off. 4000kv top speed around 43mph started making weird noises:rolleyes: never shreaded the teeth off the gears themselves before I swapped them for metals!

"I’m pretty surprised that the plastic around the pin in the top shaft stripped, never seen that before." That's actully exactly what happend. And then the top shaft hallowed out the gear from the pin being inside the gear. Ive be doing this hobby for a while and this is the first time ive seen that happen. Which is also the reason I couldn't figure out why it was slipping.

If you zoom in on the first photo you can see the inside of the gear is missing a significant amount of plastic.

Attachments

• 20180327_214602.jpg
    20180327_214602.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180327_214703.jpg
    20180327_214703.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 7
Yea that is really stange.

Did you happen to get the traxxas tranny parts yet?

Yea that is really stange.

Did you happen to get the traxxas tranny parts yet?

Not yet. Still doing some research on what spur gear I can run on the ECX top shaft that will hold the traxxas metal clutch setup. traxxas has a couple diffrent setups.

You have any idea, right now im running a plastic associate spur gear, fits perfect on the top shaft, with stock ecx slipper clutch.

Attachments

• tra6878.jpg
    tra6878.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 5
I destroyed my plastic gears on the stock motor lol. Surprised they lasted even 1 run.

I run mine mainly on a decenlty smooth concrete surface. When you run them in the grass or bumpy terrains the tires hop a lot and put a lot of stress on the gear box. It also helps to jam a bunch of lube in their to keep them from overheating and stripping teeth

Did some speed runs on the street last night and stripped the plastic gears in my Torment. Was hard to get the top shaft out as it was embedded in the gear. Knew it was going to happen just upgraded to Brushless, so had the metal gears in the spares box. Have now seen the top gear stripped out like you twice. My sons Ruckus and my Torment. Its the torque from brushless and running on high traction surfaces.

On the Traxxas clutch, just watched a video on youtube. Mr Highpower82 has mod 1 traxxas spur and clutch in his. Says he did a mod to the top shaft, not sure what he did, but it has been done

Did some speed runs on the street last night and stripped the plastic gears in my Torment. Was hard to get the top shaft out as it was embedded in the gear. Knew it was going to happen just upgraded to Brushless, so had the metal gears in the spares box. Have now seen the top gear stripped out like you twice. My sons Ruckus and my Torment. Its the torque from brushless and running on high traction surfaces.

On the Traxxas clutch, just watched a video on youtube. Mr Highpower82 has mod 1 traxxas spur and clutch in his. Says he did a mod to the top shaft, not sure what he did, but it has been done

I'm not the only one!! Overall I'm super happy with ECX. I've crashed mine pretty hard (accidentally nailed a light pole) and run it hard every drive, I'm surprised the only thing im having to deal with is the gearbox.

I'm going to check out that video and more than likely end up trying it myself. When I do so ill make a nice forum post about how to go about it, and also a YouTube video.

The ecx amp mt chassic is really light. Add a lipo and heavy brushless motor in the back and you'll carry the front end all day.
I know that with stock motor & esc with my 5000mAh venom BP (Nimh), I was able to pop wheelies on initial acceleration when I phenagled (pretty sure that's how you spell it) with alternating throttle and brake, however, currently I do not have enough balls out power to do them on command @ speed...though I want to...badly.... :D

I know that with stock motor & esc with my 5000mAh venom BP (Nimh), I was able to pop wheelies on initial acceleration when I phenagled (pretty sure that's how you spell it) with alternating throttle and brake, however, currently I do not have enough balls out power to do them on command @ speed...though I want to...badly.... :D

I went cheap on the firs upgrades as i'm saving for a nice castle sidewinder. Amazon has nice brushless kits for around $60-$80. with my 2150Kv and 80 amp ESC it hauls. I did run for awhile the stock setup on a 3S 2200mAh lipo and as it was a huge power increase it took a lot to lift the wheels of the ground. You can also change up your gearing and it would help you wheelie a bit more, if that's your intended goal.

I went cheap on the firs upgrades as i'm saving for a nice castle sidewinder. Amazon has nice brushless kits for around $60-$80. with my 2150Kv and 80 amp ESC it hauls. I did run for awhile the stock setup on a 3S 2200mAh lipo and as it was a huge power increase it took a lot to lift the wheels of the ground. You can also change up your gearing and it would help you wheelie a bit more, if that's your intended goal.
Are there any threads out there with help on how to adjust gearing? Cause when it comes to technical adjustments that I am reading about everybody doing I don't even know where to begin.

I have done a spreadsheet up in numbers so i can try some gear ratios and expected speeds (theoretical) not actual on different cell counts and ratios. Here is a screenshot
fullsizeoutput_965.jpeg

Last edited:
@RookieBasher_92 here is a fantastic document that explains pretty much all you'd need to know about RC car gearing: Associated's "Understanding gear ratios."

Take your time-- there's a lot to learn and you don't need to be able to adjust everything immediately!

Thank you for this doc @i_r_beej! I just finished reading it (without a pen & pad, ugh!), did save it via Drive for future referencing though! Wow that was a great answer that helped me better understand a little bit about what to consider for my Amp. I do like the idea of considering this trucks ability onroad! Buuuut that in part is because I don't like the extensive cleaning involved from off-road bashing (my current "course" per-se is a dirt/gravel mixture on my driveway that is technically shaped like a T-bone steak, strange comparison, I know). However, I don't like the extra time involved only cause it is me being lazy. I know that the Amp is kinda bred for dirt racing. And I have a dirt racing background (not with R/C, of course), which is what keeps me from committing to on road competition since I just love the nature of dirt track racing and it's naturally LOOSE characteristics. I can't help but always go back to the roots of what I love.
That was long winded and I am sorry for that, I have been told more than once that I should consider being an author. Thanks again @i_r_beej!!!

i bought a castle brushless motor combo with sidewinder 3 5700kv. Thing hauls! Only problem so far with the combo is the esc power switch fried and there known for it as they aren't waterproof. I was told by castle to just wire and solder (to make sure it has a good connection) the red and black esc wires so it turns on as you plug in the battery.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back