ECX Temper rock crawler

I think I may go that way also, per your previous review. I know some from other sites have gone brushless on them, but have had to drop to a 9 or 10 tooth pinion, and none of them are sensored (cogging at low speed).

Hey Guys - I'm getting into upgrading our Temper as well. Is the Dromida Motor you had issues with the 370 that I read about on another forum? I was hoping that motor would be an easy install due to the speed claims. My son wants more speed - thought he would enjoy a slower rock crawler to learn how to drive but he has seen my brushless stampede and wants speed now. I installed the Flat Iron XL's and they are too big in my opinion - I liked the look but didn't realize how much larger they are than stock. Now I need a bigger engine to turn them and wanted to get more speed out of the deal.

Sorry - I'm babbling. My questions - is the 370 not going to fit? And is the Tazer 280 going to provide more speed? Last one do you have to upgrade/change the ESC for either motor swap?

Thanks for all the help you guys have already provided!

Hey Guys - I'm getting into upgrading our Temper as well. Is the Dromida Motor you had issues with the 370 that I read about on another forum? I was hoping that motor would be an easy install due to the speed claims. My son wants more speed - thought he would enjoy a slower rock crawler to learn how to drive but he has seen my brushless stampede and wants speed now. I installed the Flat Iron XL's and they are too big in my opinion - I liked the look but didn't realize how much larger they are than stock. Now I need a bigger engine to turn them and wanted to get more speed out of the deal.

Sorry - I'm babbling. My questions - is the 370 not going to fit? And is the Tazer 280 going to provide more speed? Last one do you have to upgrade/change the ESC for either motor swap?

The tazer is a straight swap, only modification is running the shaft down a file to remove the splines. Mine has not slipped even without a flat spot for the set screw. Mine has been running fine with the stock esc, but i will be upgrading all the electronics tonight when my new transmitter comes in. You will see a significant speed increase. Not as much torque but plenty of wheel speed to "throttle out" of any situations. I run my trottle damper at about 40-50% on rocks and 100% on the snow.

The tazer is a straight swap, only modification is running the shaft down a file to remove the splines. Mine has not slipped even without a flat spot for the set screw. Mine has been running fine with the stock esc, but i will be upgrading all the electronics tonight when my new transmitter comes in. You will see a significant speed increase. Not as much torque but plenty of wheel speed to "throttle out" of any situations. I run my trottle damper at about 40-50% on rocks and 100% on the snow.

Thanks dmill - exactly what I needed to know. Just need to figure out if that is the right motor for turning bigger tires. The increase in torque would really be what helped turn those tires. I noticed last night crawling around the living room with the new tires they would just bind and not crawl out of it were before it would either spin the tires or just keep climbing. I love this little thing but I got the wrong RC for my son is what it boils down to...

Also you mentioned something about soldering leads? Is that required? I've never done that.

Last edited:

Same motor (Dromida 370) - that other forum is where I got the idea. It will take motor plate modification and sourcing the correct mounting hardware. The Tazer 280 that @dmill1369 recommended will be a far easier swap, and will likely be the way I go unless I lose my mind and try to go brushless...

Same motor (Dromida 370) - that other forum is where I got the idea. It will take motor plate modification and sourcing the correct mounting hardware. The Tazer 280 that @dmill1369 recommended will be a far easier swap, and will likely be the way I go unless I lose my mind and try to go brushless...

Ok - thanks for the input. I'll guess I'll give the Tazer a try. Cant hurt at only about $13. Have to do something to make the wheels and tires work...

Thanks dmill - exactly what I needed to know. Just need to figure out if that is the right motor for turning bigger tires. The increase in torque would really be what helped turn those tires. I noticed last night crawling around the living room with the new tires they would just bind and not crawl out of it were before it would either spin the tires or just keep climbing. I love this little thing but I got the wrong RC for my son is what it boils down to...

Also you mentioned something about soldering leads? Is that required? I've never done that.
Soldering the leads isnt required, you could just cut the existing conectors off and crimp some new bullets on. Soldering is quite simple though. Good skill to have in this hobby. The tazer spins my bigger tires (108mm) with no problems. I think the tazer is a generally stronger motor. You could also try to find a smaller pinion gear. juanmarteen tried an 8 tooth that was to small, but i think a 10 or 12 tooth might work. It wont make more speed but will create more torque, which is really what you want for a crawler.

Well since the gears were to small I starting messing with three different esc's that I have the original that came with the temper , a brand new redcat and this no brand name one at the end of changing all of them and testing them I ended using the no name brand reasons 1 this esc has a better output more power in fwd and rev the redcat had no power for rev the original one was limited do same motor different esc = more power faster runs my rear steering with no problems just my opinion use a good esc and you'll get what you want I did

20160630_170014.jpg Hi all,
Tazer 280 exceed al the requirements!
It works with stock ESC but the low end is not very fine. I have replaced the ESC by FS-GT2 transmitter & Receiver plus Xcar-45 ESC (Lipo friendly), both installed under tray.
Now I have the best of two worlds! plenty of speed, torque, and the most important, smooth and precise low end for crawling!

Last edited:
Hello,
Unfortunately there is no longer in germany this engine. What would you recommend to install?
Tazer 280 Brushed Motor

Hello,
Unfortunately there is no longer in germany this engine. What would you recommend to install?
Tazer 280 Brushed Motor
I'm now running a Losi mini crawler motor in my 1/18 temper good crawler motor if your looking for speed I also ran a goolrc mini brushless motor/esc for about $30 on eBay this is what I tried but like I said I'm running brushed mini Losi crawler on a 2s lipo

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back