ECX Temper rock crawler

View attachment 243 I don't 4-wheel steer yet, but I think @r8derhed5150 is still on his first stock motor, but maybe looking for a power upgrade. I'm still on stock electronics as well. I am swapping out the Rx/Tx, ESC, and battery today though (Christmas presents - Hobbywing Quickrun 1625 ESC, FlySky FS-GT3B Rx/Tx combo, and Venom 1500 LiPo). Hoping to use the Tx on my Axial Bomber also once the warranty return is processed (Rx fried after about 20 mins).

Your 4-link looks great! How's it working? What was your base material for the skid?
You got a Bomber? Sweet! How do you like it? Considering getting it but its hard not to drool over that Yeti XL...

Here it is again I really like this esc no name brand but work real good I had a different one in it but it wasn't putting out enough power more so in reverse notice the full size battery? Well I burned out the original mini so I decided the use this one I had laying around brand new I added weighs to the wheels but with the large battery it even more weight but it crawls good no problem with motor getting hot. Now I'm just waiting for some pinion gears to come in and I'll set it up for more torqueimage.jpeg

Here it is again I really like this esc no name brand but work real good I had a different one in it but it wasn't putting out enough power more so in reverse notice the full size battery? Well I burned out the original mini so I decided the use this one I had laying around brand new I added weighs to the wheels but with the large battery it even more weight but it crawls good no problem with motor getting hot. Now I'm just waiting for some pinion gears to come in and I'll set it up for more torqueView attachment 244
Which pinion set did you order. I need to follow suit with all the added weight and substantially taller tires on mine.

These Proline denali wheels are pretty heavy considering there's 32 screws and what feel like steel lock rings. Plus I keep two batteries on board all up front plus the body and mount weight. Shoot now I gotta weigh it out of curiosity.

Current update: added 2S LiPo, Hobbywing Quickrun 1650 ESC, and FlySky receiver. Old ESC/Rx combo wasn't broken, I was looking for a different drag brake, and got these for Christmas).

I did have to lengthen my top rods by about 5mm to correct driveline angle - it was creating some bad vibes at the wheels. I also have some 13mm hub extenders on the way to widen the wheelbase a little. And I'm going to experiment with the Dromida 370 motor because it's cheap.

@r8derhed5150 I loved it for the 15 minutes I got with it before the receiver died! The replacement should be here Monday (only bummer because I've had this last week off, back at it on Mon.)
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Here's a quick video of it in its current setup.

I didn't get the drag brake I was hoping for with this ESC, but it's an improvement. The brake will hold on shallow angles, but not relatively steep (is it he motors ability to hold the weight? Or brake % applied by ESC?). The disadvantage (or learning curve) is that there is no immediate reverse, you have to "double-tap".

Next update and concept preview.

Added the Junfac 13mm hub extenders. To install, you do have to drill out the center of your (stock) wheels (7/32 drill bit is perfect) to allow for the "tube" nuts you replace your nylock nuts with. One of the best upgrades for lateral stability! They replace your stock hexes. They are also available in 19mm. I am still running stock plastic "c's" and spindles for now, but I suspect the wider stance may put extra stress on these, so I plan and recommend upgrading to the aluminum. It also exposes them to abuse on the rocks.

Concept preview (although thinking it would fit better in 1/24):

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Added the Junfac 13mm hub extenders. To install, you do have to drill out the center of your (stock) wheels (7/32 drill bit is perfect) to allow for the "tube" nuts you replace your nylock nuts with. One of the best upgrades for lateral stability! They replace your stock hexes. They are also available in 19mm. I am still running stock plastic "c's" and spindles for now, but I suspect the wider stance may put extra stress on these, so I plan and recommend upgrading to the aluminum. It also exposes them to abuse on the rocks.

View attachment 249 View attachment 250 View attachment 251
I gotta do some extenders too but I can't just yet. I have a damaged c-hub from my son using the truck to stand himself up and it ripped a pivot screw out damaging a hole on the hub. To repair i got some realy small aluminum tube to use like a heli-coil so I could thread into it again. Holding up for a few runs so far, but I doubt it could handle a few extra mm's of leverage.

I wish that body was bigger! But I would look cool on my micro SCT.

View attachment 249 View attachment 250 View attachment 251
Really cool

Yeah, I would like to drop another motor in mine as well as lower gearing. Was leaning towards the traxxas titan 380, looks like the right size since the dynamite one is supposed to be a 380.

So...I live in the snow, and couldn't resist the urge to put some chains on my temper. (Still stock aside from added weights). These are for the stock tires and seam to really help with traction on ice and snow. So if you are interested in making your own you will need about 40" of 16guage single jack chain per tire (160" for all 4). I used 18 links for each sidewall and 5links for each tread chain (9 total). Make your own or hit me up and i can make you a pair for pretty cheap (thinkin $20 for a set of 4, as i picked up a 250' roll of the stuff). They do contact the stock linkage at full turn, but don't seam to cause any trouble. Likely a non-issue if you've done a 4link conversion or have some hub spacers. I will be making some for the 1.9 wheels i ordered once i have them in hand, and will gladly update dimensions for those.

Attachments

• 14518445797511153282306.jpg
    14518445797511153282306.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 11
Hub extenders are in!! definitely help with lateral stability. 1.9s look like they will clear no problem, especially since I got the lower links reset in preparation for a full 4 link setup, just waiting on some parts (servo links so i can steal the ends off of em, which are $1.95 on nitrorcx for the maxstone exceed, VS $7.95 for the temper ones). all that's left is to revamp the electronics with a 3chanel tx/rx combo for proper 4wheel stearing. god this thing is as much fun to mod as it is to drive

Well after a trip to my LHS I found us a NICE power plant upgrade.
http://www.amazon.com/Tazer-Brushed...e=UTF8&qid=1452042882&sr=8-1&keywords=dyn4921
Was running 100% throttle damper with the stock motor, now running about 25-30% damper. Definitely a solid speed upgrade, only modification required is filing down the splines at the end of the shaft and the stock pinion slips right on. Wouldn't be a bad idea to file a flat spot for a pinion screw, but i haven't had any slipping issues yet.

Well after a trip to my LHS I found us a NICE power plant upgrade.
http://www.amazon.com/Tazer-Brushed...e=UTF8&qid=1452042882&sr=8-1&keywords=dyn4921
Was running 100% throttle damper with the stock motor, now running about 25-30% damper. Definitely a solid speed upgrade, only modification required is filing down the splines at the end of the shaft and the stock pinion slips right on. Wouldn't be a bad idea to file a flat spot for a pinion screw, but i haven't had any slipping issues yet.

Sweet! I was wondering if this would be an upgrade or the same - stock motor is in fact a 280 size, but probably a different wind count. I have a Dromida brand 370 motor I'm going to try to install soon (If I can stop crawling long enough), and I'll let you know how it goes...

Yeah I think I read that the higher the wind count the higher the speed. just had to solder the leads from the stock motor on so it has the bullets. I did have to reverse the throttle, but NBD. I'm wondering if @Erequena1959 got those 8tooth pinions to work. combine the motor and those and I bet this thing has gobs of torque.
Side note, I ordered all my electronics to setup a solid 4 wheel steer. redcat 3channel rx/tx combo, hobbywing quikrun 1625, and two losi xxl high torque servos(162 oz-in :eek:).

Latest posts

Members online

Back