ESC going into protect mode too early?

DoeBoy9350

Hello All,
I bought an ECX amp MT for my son and he loves it. Together, This is our first hobby grade R/C car. We have been learning a lot and changing things out as we go but there is one thing i cannot find an answer to in the internet:

We are running a Dynamite 60a ESC (DYNS2210) with a dynamite 15T motor, powered by a Venom 4000ma 2S LiPo, controlled by a Spektrum STX2 radio.

When running the truck, after about 8-10 minutes the truck runs as if it running at 50% power. I have done this multiple times and it seems to happen and about 3.8v per cell for a total of around 7.4v. I use a the cheap venom voltage checker and the cells are always balanced. From my understanding from the Dynamite ESC, is that the ESC should not put the truck into protection mode until 3.3v and then cutoff at 3.1v?. Also if i shut the truck off, then turn it back on it is back to 100% again for another 30-45 second then back to low power again.
So my question is, Is this a battery issue? or a ESC issue? and is there anything i can do to fix it? I don't think there is a way to reprogram it?

thanks in advance!

The esc is detecting the voltage under load, but you can only check it when the battery is at rest.
The voltage will bounce when the battery is at rest.
My guess is its a battery issue, but its hard to tell without actually looking at it. Whats the C rating of your battery?
We use a voltage alarm and run the esc in Nimh mode, no LVC but the alarm screams when it hits our desired low voltage

My battery is a Venom 2S 4000 20C. I like the idea of running it in NiMh mode with the low voltage alarm on it. on it. So I guess doing that does not hurt the ESC?

Not at all, the LVC is there to protect the battery not the esc.
Your battery should be able to handle the load but maybe after 10 mins its sagging enough ,with that 20C rating, to trigger the LVC

So, I just ran it on NiMH mode with the LVA on it. I didn't have any reduction in power problems and was able to run the battery down to the alarm point that i set at 3.5v per cell. Works good. This follows you thought of maybe the C rating is allowing the ESC to hit the lower limits under load. I will have to let you know in the future if i get a higher C rating. thanks for the help.

Hello All,
I bought an ECX amp MT for my son and he loves it. Together, This is our first hobby grade R/C car. We have been learning a lot and changing things out as we go but there is one thing i cannot find an answer to in the internet:

We are running a Dynamite 60a ESC (DYNS2210) with a dynamite 15T motor, powered by a Venom 4000ma 2S LiPo, controlled by a Spektrum STX2 radio.

When running the truck, after about 8-10 minutes the truck runs as if it running at 50% power. I have done this multiple times and it seems to happen and about 3.8v per cell for a total of around 7.4v. I use a the cheap venom voltage checker and the cells are always balanced. From my understanding from the Dynamite ESC, is that the ESC should not put the truck into protection mode until 3.3v and then cutoff at 3.1v?. Also if i shut the truck off, then turn it back on it is back to 100% again for another 30-45 second then back to low power again.
So my question is, Is this a battery issue? or a ESC issue? and is there anything i can do to fix it? I don't think there is a way to reprogram it?

thanks in advance!
I have the same exact issue with my Torment. In Lipo mode it cuts to 50% power after about 10min on 2s 5200mah 50c battery and the battery is only at 3.9v per cell. I tried the NIMH mode and got 25 min out of it and it cut off at 3.4v per cell. Great suggestion. I didn’t know you could run it in NIMH mode.

My torment does this now the last few weeks and it’s damn annoying and I’ve been running it for the last 2 years pretty often with zero issues, started with a venom 25C 5000mah and an Amazon 45 or 50C 5000mah and I would regularly get 35/40 minutes out of each pack with lots of full throttle with a 22 tooth pinion instead of the slower 19tooth and with a titan brushed 12Turn. Even the first titan lasted over a year with no lube or cleaning running through dirt and sand, WAY longer then that crappy dynamite 15 Turn. But now I have new packs 5200mah 50c and a 5000mah 60c and they were running great till I started getting throttle being unresponsive and LVC issues, so I’m getting a feeling this dynamite 60a esc is on it’s way out because now it’s completely lost reverse and brake and either trigger pull goes FORWARD changed motors to a known working reversing one, same issue, real annoying but worth its money for 2 years of bashing and getting all covered with poop, and it also gets decently hot when I plug the truck in and turn it on and let it sit with ZERO throttle inputs , steering is perfect so yeah I would imagine if your running it in nimh with an alarm then it’s on its way to frying, seems like a last attempt to get a few more runs out of it ? This esc also sucks for tune ability , just like 4 jumper spots that’s all you get , super entry level but I had fun with it but can’t wait it find my next cheapo brushed lipo esc and abuse it lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back