Help pls! New AMP MT owner. Onyx/Kinexsis 4000kv ESC issues

Order another reciever..they fairly available. And see if that works. Ideas lol. Good luck. I hate trouble shooting too. So I know that sucks.

I haven’t tried adding a cap.
I’m truly suspicious of the ESC. If I were to cut out the ESC power then the transmitter would show NULL. I tested this. So it is at least possible that the esc is cutting power and this makes the TX show NULL.
I think I will talk to my LHS and see if they will replace the esc for me. He thinks it’s the receiver. I don’t really (yet).

I’ve decided I’m ditching the onyx esc motor combo.

What is a PROVEN reliable combo for this 2wd truck? i want aprox 3800-4000kv motor and I am leaning towards castle creations stuff for reliability.

What is a PROVEN reliable combo for this 2wd truck? i want aprox 3800-4000kv motor and I am leaning towards castle creations stuff for reliability.
All joking aside...castle censored set for the money. But for fun and not hurting the wallet...have 2 goolrc sets..one 3900kv and one 3300kv and been running both over 3 years with no issues. Gear them for temp and they will run decent. And yes not brand name but definitely fun if your not racing daily. My other one is a hobby wing set with no issues. that's one below. You can find better deals for it..but that's still not bad.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...3660sl-motor-combo-4600kv-hwa38010202/p607218

Get you a cheapo temp gun. Gear your rig for temps. You can burn out anything expensive or cheap. Its all about your gearing and batts. You gear for temps...yes it may be slower but will run more efficiently and cooler. Gear it for speed...and yes you can run hotter at the expense of killing your setup.

FYI the current setup has been measured with my gun at motor temp of 145F max. Mostly under that after heavy throtted runs even. Esc at 105 F Max.

All joking aside...castle censored set for the money. But for fun and not hurting the wallet...have 2 goolrc sets..one 3900kv and one 3300kv and been running both over 3 years with no issues. Gear them for temp and they will run decent. And yes not brand name but definitely fun if your not racing daily. My other one is a hobby wing set with no issues. that's one below. You can find better deals for it..but that's still not bad.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...3660sl-motor-combo-4600kv-hwa38010202/p607218
Thank you. Can you link your gool rc setup as well?

Thank you. Can you link your gool rc setup as well?
Granted you can find them all over including ebay. And possibley a better price too. This 4300kv would be right up your alley. Its a 540 and the 3800kv is a 550 can. Both would work great

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WHP96WP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CEfrFbTBTM1RK

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WHCM3Y2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TEfrFb7RP13TV

Here's the 3900kv with card
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P85YNND/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_KJfrFbJX81WDZ

Definitely look around this setup usually 40s-50 ish when covid not going on.

You run that EZRun 3660 motor in a lightweight 2wd RC?

Oh yes I do. Just gear it down
You run that EZRun 3660 motor in a lightweight 2wd RC?
Yes indeed. Just gear it down. My primary amp now runs 150amp esc and 1500kv set up. I have 4 running and a 5th for parts. Have ran as low as 60a 4370 setups to 7700 castle. Just depends what you trying to do ? I think I have an old pic of the 3680 can in it..brb I get it.

Thanks for all the links guys!

I kinda like esc that doesn’t require a card. Programming through the esc buttons... seems the ones linked above require cards and according to reviews card support is iffy at best.

I’ll look into the Castle ones and see how they are programmed

Thanks for all the links guys!

I kinda like esc that doesn’t require a card. Programming through the esc buttons... seems the ones linked above require cards and according to reviews card support is iffy at best.

I’ll look into the Castle ones and see how they are programmed

Yeah you dont have to program them. They run out box. But its nice if you need it. Yeah they not hit and miss..its the sellers that are. But what ever you choose..gear it right and it will give you no fits. I have had great times with all them. I have buddies who hate castle...nothing but problems. But you know how.that goes..lol could be user error also. Good luck. Let us.know what you come out with. :)

Just a thought. When I bought the lipo battery I had to cut the Deans and put EC3 connectors. I soldered them and I would say I did a fine job.
However, is it possible that the solder job at the connector is causing intermittent problems and cutting off the power entirely to the ESC for a few seconds every now and then?
if I wiggle the battery connection I am NOT able to reproduce power failures though.

Just a thought. When I bought the lipo battery I had to cut the Deans and put EC3 connectors. I soldered them and I would say I did a fine job.
However, is it possible that the solder job at the connector is causing intermittent problems and cutting off the power entirely to the ESC for a few seconds every now and then?
if I wiggle the battery connection I am NOT able to reproduce power failures though.
If you can wiggle it and cant reproduce it. I would think your battery is fine. Have you tried another battery to eliminate that as a cause? Also what is the c rating of your pack. If your running a large 5c...yes could be a problem. But if your running 25c or larger...then definitely shouldnt be an issue. But that's back to a brown out type situation. I would think your battery pack would run very hot to touch or hot on the gun if issue was there.

Last edited:
If you can wiggle it and cant reproduce it. I would think your battery is fine. Have you tried another battery to eliminate that as a cause? Also what is the c rating of your pack. If your running a large 5c...yes could be a problem. But if your running 25c or larger...then definitely shouldnt be an issue. But that's back to a brown out type situation. I would think your battery pack would run very hot to touch or hot on the gun if issue was there.
Only have one lipo as I was trying to rule out NIMH being the issue. Now I’m not sure if the problem with NIMH was the same as I’m dealing no with now with lipo. They look similar but perhaps they aren’t the same issue.

I will see if LHS replaces the Unit for me.

Only have one lipo as I was trying to rule out NIMH being the issue. Now I’m not sure if the problem with NIMH was the same as I’m dealing no with now with lipo. They look similar but perhaps they aren’t the same issue.

I will see if LHS replaces the Unit for me.
Have them hook up one of there batts there at shop and see if it will do it while your there. Good luck. Hope they do. Once you get the kinks out....you'll be happy again.

Have them hook up one of there batts there at shop and see if it will do it while your there. Good luck. Hope they do. Once you get the kinks out....you'll be happy again.
The store gave me a new esc (but I kept the motor). Wired it and will be testing later today.
Edit: same exact esc but a new one out of box.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back