Low cost motor upgrade 1/18 ruckus torment

Ranger-rick

Hey guys new here. Just wanted to share a little upgrade for your mini ruckus. Its a 20 turn 540 traxxas stinger. The stock esc handles it well and it gives the machine a lot more power for cheap. 25 bucks for the motor in canada. Try it out it wont disappoint.

IMG_20180526_120950_747.jpg

Looks like a custom motor plate. Hows a 540 motor on the stock diffs? I went with what I thought was a mild brushless 2040 3800kv motor and stripped a diff at $25 a pop I don't think its worth the risk for most on a $100 rc. Some like going without gear covers but I prefer them the ruckus gear cover seals up pretty good. Going big maybe cheap for the motor but could end up being big on the repair bills.

Just my thoughts on 540 motors on small scale plastic diffs.

Looks like a custom motor plate. Hows a 540 motor on the stock diffs? I went with what I thought was a mild brushless 2040 3800kv motor and stripped a diff at $25 a pop I don't think its worth the risk for most on a $100 rc. Some like going without gear covers but I prefer them the ruckus gear cover seals up pretty good. Going big maybe cheap for the motor but could end up being big on the repair bills.

Just my thoughts on 540 motors on small scale plastic diffs.

So far so good actually. Yes custom motor plate. All in took me about 2 hrs. Diffs are holding up well. Its doesn't have as much power as brushless. It seems to be just right. Not too much power so it destroys everything. Ill keep you updated on the durability. I know even the stock 380 motor can strip the diffs so i dont think its going to last all that long. But we will see

I am all for affordable power. It might be okay I guess it depends on how its used. When I stripped my diff I was running in grass on 2s lipo. I just wish they would just sell the diff instead of the housing and everything with it.

If you're not going to shim the diffs on the Ruckus,Torment, Roost then stick to the stock motor, adjust the slipper and run 2s.

It's a name brand hobby grade RC for $99 or under and when you look at it that way it performs well.

Instead of this motor upgrade you can buy a whole 18a brushless system from amazon for $30 and it should just swap in without an adapter. It'll probably outlast the ECX and you can put it into another car down the road. It'll run 3s but unless you're really careful it'll break stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CCRZHNI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll report back if it doesn't fit.

If you're not going to shim the diffs on the Ruckus,Torment, Roost then stick to the stock motor, adjust the slipper and run 2s.

It's a name brand hobby grade RC for $99 or under and when you look at it that way it performs well.

Instead of this motor upgrade you can buy a whole 18a brushless system from amazon for $30 and it should just swap in without an adapter. It'll probably outlast the ECX and you can put it into another car down the road. It'll run 3s but unless you're really careful it'll break stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CCRZHNI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll report back if it doesn't fit.

I have a older 1/18 Ruckus the earlier versions did not have shims when I bought a newer diff they have shims in them now.

That combo is a 25a esc and motor combo I have or had a few of those in various sizes and kv rating the 25a are 2s lipo only the 35a esc are 3s capable have a couple of those.

Hobbywing has a Ezrun 18a esc that is capable of running 3s.

A 24mm can motor will fit just remember to get 2.5mm bolts for the motor the 24mm can and 20mm can motors mount with 2.5mm bolts.

Greetings - new to forum. Believe it or not I registered just to comment on this thread and in general the 540 motor upgrade for the ECX Ruckus 1/18 scale.

Picked one up in a shabby shape for 30 bucks recently. It was a project car. The previous owner made a galant attempt to upgrade his ruckus using a trinity 540 motor. Anyway, he got it to the point where it needed a motor mount and he didn't have one.

so I picked it up and order this;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRXWMJU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sadly it wasn't enough to get the motor to properly line up the pinion with the spur, so another trip to the hobby shop for a robinson 32tooth 48p pinion and voila!

Works quite well. The pinion is huge so running the spur pinion cover is a challenge. I'm just using zip ties for now, but this modification lets you keep the top strut over the drive shaft. This is important for structural reasons and also because that top strut has a built in bearing retainer. I only point this out because the OP's picture shows that he's not running a top strut. Probably not an issue as long as the drive shaft stays in place...

It does require you to relocate the esc/receiver to the top of the battery cover.

I use a 2s 1000mah Lipo (gens ace) and that fits perfect in the battery cover area.

As for heating issues - I did convert the receiver to Deans, but no issues running the 32 pinion. Temps never get past me being able to touch the motor for more than a minute. I know unscientific, but works for me.

Anyway, easy upgrade and the motor mount and pinion cost about 15 bucks, plus the cost of the motor which I had lying around.

Last edited:
have you had any problems with the diffs? i havent used my ruckus in forever since i bought mine back when it first came out and was sick of replacing the diffs but i hear they shim the newers one?

not yet, but I'm not really much of a basher and it's rarely used. mostly a backup for when friends/family come over and we need a spare rc vehicle.

I also only use a 1000mah 2s lipo, nothing crazy and with the large pinion, I never punch it, so it's being used pretty conservatively.

Hey guys new here. Just wanted to share a little upgrade for your mini ruckus. Its a 20 turn 540 traxxas stinger. The stock esc handles it well and it gives the machine a lot more power for cheap. 25 bucks for the motor in canada. Try it out it wont disappoint.

View attachment 3644
540 motor (carisma) 38t 48p perfection! Custom aluminum motor mount. Runs 2s all day. Thanks for the share!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back