TEAM STAB RC Amp Build

Mongol Pete

Merry Christmas from Ulaanbaatar ECX Fans,

Our ECX Amp build is underway, although we've done very little thus far because the FUN POLICE (sister-in-law) came to take the boy for a haircut. I have to say that this is an excellent way to spend time with my son, and get both of us disconnected from electronic devices for a while. Here are some snaps from early on. Come back here for progress as we hope to have it all done and RTR by the first day of 2018! Although, it might be too cold to paint, even on our enclosed balcony...

Peace,
-MP

PS-Apologies. I do not know how to embed images using their URL. Any help? Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_4612.JPG
    IMG_4612.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4618.JPG
    IMG_4618.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4619.JPG
    IMG_4619.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4620.JPG
    IMG_4620.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4621.JPG
    IMG_4621.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4622.JPG
    IMG_4622.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4623.JPG
    IMG_4623.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4595.JPG
    IMG_4595.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 34
Always great to see kids getting their hands dirty building! How’s it going so far for you guys?

Hi X,

Always great to see kids getting their hands dirty building! How’s it going so far for you guys?
It's going slowly because I'm teaching while we're building but the whole point is to do everything together and let him do as much as possible himself.

Just a heads up for guys running the RPM servo saver eliminator with a Savox 0230MG waterproof servo, I had to shave a little off of the edge of the servo case because the RPM bellcrank was rubbing. I think the steering will be pretty smooth and solid though now. I am hoping we'll get the Amp done tomorrow (no painting, too cold I think) so we can crack open our Barrage kit and start all over!

Peace from Ulaanbaatar,
MP

Update:RPM steering tip

Take care to go easy on the screws going through the bell crank assembly. Don't over-tighten like I did or you'll have to take everything apart to make it right, like I did ;)
When you build the RPM steering assembly just go in as far as you need so that the head of the screw is against the base, then stop. Make sure the steering can be moved back and fourth by hand with very little resistance. Your servo will last longer. Other than that, set the end points well and have fun.

Attachments

• IMG_4621.JPG
    IMG_4621.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 2
More rookie mistakes, but it is done, sort of...

I had to take the front apart again, after sorting out the over-tightened RPM steering assembly, to center the servo horn. Top tip kids, center your servo horn before you build your front end around it :D

We have to use the stock ESC.RX for now while we are waiting for the Barrage ESC (HW1080) to arrive. Then the Amp will get the Dynamite 60A so it will be happier with 2s lipos. It will also eventually get a HW BEC that will power the Savox servo directly. Other than that, the boy just needs to pick a color and I need to find out if it is too cold to paint on our enclosed balcony. Updates and photos to follow.

Happy New Year folks,
MP

I put some stick on auto tire weights in the front of mine when I had to open it back up after over tightening the RPM bell crank. It helps keep the wheelies down after using a better ESC and 2s.

Thanks for that Brake Weight. Also, would you suggest running the Dynamite 60a Barrage ESC with the jumper in crawl mode or better to just remove the jumper for F/B/R? Team STAB RC Amp is running sweet and just needs paint! My son requested 'shiny' as his color choice, whatever that means. I think we might paint it chrome! Here's how she sits...

EDIT: Too cold to paint so she sits clear. I also found out that if you remove the jumper on the Dynamite 60a ESC (Barrage), you have F/B/R mode. It is pretty cool to have the jumper in crawler mode, but I imagine that might be strenuous for the plastic gears.

Happy New Year!
MP

Attachments

• IMG_4669.JPG
    IMG_4669.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4670.JPG
    IMG_4670.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4671.JPG
    IMG_4671.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I’ve got a Traxxas XL5 in mine. Actually mine isn’t an ‘Amp’, it’s the Circuit. It has shorter arms and is narrower. But all else is the same. I do have 2 Amp MTs for my oldest kids. I went with some HobbyWing 1060’s in them which is basically what you’re using. I put them in the crawler mode just so that they would quit rolling into everything. My XL5 doesn’t have that option but I can stop it with a little throttle.

I’ve got a Traxxas XL5 in mine. Actually mine isn’t an ‘Amp’, it’s the Circuit. It has shorter arms and is narrower. But all else is the same. I do have 2 Amp MTs for my oldest kids. I went with some HobbyWing 1060’s in them which is basically what you’re using. I put them in the crawler mode just so that they would quit rolling into everything. My XL5 doesn’t have that option but I can stop it with a little throttle.

Hi Brake,

Will running it in crawl mode damage anything, or maybe shorten the life of the motor? I ran it inside in crawl mode and the control seems really cool the way it stops as soon as I'm off the trigger.

Hello Amp fans,

We got some front-end protection installed courtesy of T-Bone Racing. Red was the boy's choice. It doesn't really match the green/chrome paint scheme, but all I care about is how well it will stand up to crashes. Very easy and affordable mod, which I think makes sense to save on replacing broken parts. The only bummer is that TBR doesn't include any cool company logo stickers.

Peace,
MP

Attachments

• IMG_4867.JPG
    IMG_4867.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4868.JPG
    IMG_4868.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4869.JPG
    IMG_4869.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4870.JPG
    IMG_4870.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 16
Hi there Amp fans,

We're going to take our Amp MT in a different direction. I've got the buggy body and wing on order (with mounts), and some decals from ebay. I'm going to set it up as a tribute to The (Tamiya) Falcon I had as a kid. I am considering putting a Hobbywing 1050BL/3300kv in it as well. Stay tuned here, The Falcamp will be released into the wilds of Mongolia this summer :D

-MP

PS - I've just ordered the Hot Racing steering knuckles after reading around here. Hopefully, with the help of some blue loctite, we won't lose any more shoulder screws.

Last edited:
Having a bit of fun with upgrades:

Our Sla2h is going brushless and getting new wheels/tires, so I decided to try the XL-5 ESC/Titan 12T combo in the Amp. It moves pretty good! In fact, I think I'll hold off going brushless for a while so the "Falcamp" will stay looking nice for a while (once I actually get the parts and paint). The Slash tires though, not so good.

Attachments

• IMG_4982.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 9
That’s the longer 550 motor? Do you have a pic of the rear end? I was thinking of putting one of those motors but wasn’t sure how far it would stick out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back