Upgrading to Brushless…educate me...

Chuck1906

I think I have replaced the motor in my son's Ruckus about 4-5 times now since I bought it and I think its time to go brushless. I am still new to the whole RC world so I need some suggestions on a good brushless motor set up. My son is 6 and can handle the Ruckus most of the time. If the brushless motor makes it really fast, I am not sure if he'll be able to control it. Me on the other hand have the Circuit Stadium truck and I want to go brushless with that too and I do want the fast motor.

Can anyone recommend a few brands to consider and/or tell me what to look for when shopping for a brushless motor for the two trucks I mentioned above.

Thanks!

I think I have replaced the motor in my son's Ruckus about 4-5 times now since I bought it and I think its time to go brushless. I am still new to the whole RC world so I need some suggestions on a good brushless motor set up. My son is 6 and can handle the Ruckus most of the time. If the brushless motor makes it really fast, I am not sure if he'll be able to control it. Me on the other hand have the Circuit Stadium truck and I want to go brushless with that too and I do want the fast motor.

Can anyone recommend a few brands to consider and/or tell me what to look for when shopping for a brushless motor for the two trucks I mentioned above.

Thanks!
I my self still have the standerd brushed motor in my circuit. You should look up on the horizon site what motors that they sell. Look at what kv they recomend. And than think about a brand like hobby wing or castle creations. I know its a lot money but they are verry good brands.

For your kid, get a cheaper brushless combo around 50-70, these motors will be generally faster then stock brushed and a good 2s lipo and 3930kv would push it pretty fast. While they are not as good as, per say CASTLES, they will be much easier to control.
I still use a brushed motor sadly and im probably going to buy the 3930kv leopard combo

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYRC-LEOP...m=272102389060&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

With brushless you might break more things, and it will be stupidly fast too, no worries.
Things to consider: adjust the slipper (tighter), get metal driveshafts or at least a few spare plastic ones from ECX, a spur gear just in case, metal diff maybe too.

With brushless you might break more things, and it will be stupidly fast too, no worries.
Things to consider: adjust the slipper (tighter), get metal driveshafts or at least a few spare plastic ones from ECX, a spur gear just in case, metal diff maybe too.

Yea I have been thinking about that. I don't want something that is going to be too fast for my son to control but by the same token, I am tired of having to replace motors as frequent as I have been doing. I need to try and find something that is going to give me and him and some longevity! LOL! As for me, I want something fast. When you put a brushless motor in, will it be so fast that the front end pops up like a wheelie when you accelerate?

Yup, wheelies at will with the Ruckus, not only when starting from a standstill but also at speed if there's enough grip.

Last edited:
Wheelies don't really matter with speed, mainly torque, get a 3000kv or lower for that if you want it to be still controllable. You can always change gearing for speed.torque :)

My son has a Ruckus with the Goolrc 60A 3100kv set up. You can gear it for Low speed or High speed.
The stock 17t pinion we have will get it to about 26mph which we were getting with a lipo on the brushed motor on pavement.
Cost us $42 Aussie shipped from Bay.
You can also gear it for high speed and run it on 3s which gets us closer to 50mph.
Its all about gearing and voltage. You can set t up how ever you like. You could always just dial out some throttle on the transmitter if its too fast for him.
KV = rpm/volt and the higher you go on the tooth count with the pinion will bring more speed. The lower more torque.
Hope that helps

Wow!! All this info is very helpful! Thank you all!!! WOW at reaching speeds up to 50mph!!! that's moving! LOL!

Members online

No members online now.
Back