I'm about to order the carisma gear set for the front and rear .Anyword if it worked
Best bet is to sell/shelf/scrap it and cut your losses sadly. For me it is hard to justify spending so much money on such a cheap car. The fact that Ecx won't acknowledge the fact that the diffs in these are a problem really irks me. They are fully aware of this thread and the one on rctech.id love to know too if the carisma gear set worked, i dont even care about upgrading the motor i'm just so sick of having to replace 1/3 of the whole truck at $28 just because 4 little plastic gears keep stripping it's ridiculous
Has it lasted since shimming telescoping axle with grimmoetsI just ordered 2 MIF-048/BU from HK, giving me enough time (ETA May 20) to think about a good axle solution. Meanwhile i found what seems to be a very nice hotfix for the standard gears. Instead of shimming the outdrive planetary gear on the rear left like stated on rctechs thread, i just put canopy rubber grommets from my good old T-Rex 450 in the gaps between the two telescopic parts of all axles, and they fit just perfectly. For me it seems to work even better then the shimming method since it obviously gives more advantages and is far more easy to install.
- not have to search for the right shims, cheap, easy to get
- not have to completely disassamble the diff
- everyone can install it less then 2 minutes, no additional tools required (like loctite, very small screwdrivers,diff grease)
- stiff enough to completely removing the In/out play on the axles AND the outdrive planetary gears.
- flexible enough to compensate axle length changes due to variable riding height/Bumper action.
- in combination with ball bearings tire wobble is nearly completely gone.
- in addition i loosened the slipper to the point that if you push the car to ground and hit the gas it starts to slip on half throttle.
I am running on Stock 380 with bearings and grommets and now had 5 2200mAh/Lipo rides on grass, dirt and on the road since install of grommets and about 10 on LiPo - even had some hard crashes - and the rear diff runs like butter. Before "grommeting" it often stuttered and had a slight grinding noise. The whole car feels much more stable and responsive now.
I'm quite sure (at least hope) this mod will keep the original diff alive until the final solution is there.