Combo decision

kejkla

Hello guys I want to buy some brushless combo for my 2wd ruckus because my stock brushed esc died and go only backward... I cant decide witch one to choose. I want to go 2s(5000mAh 20C) and stock 87t spur gear. My budget is 30-70$ for ESC,motor,pinion(cheaper=better). Can you please help me choose from those or can you suggest me another combo. Also what pinion should i run? I dont need extra torque so my drivetrain can survive. Im not native english so sorry for some mistakes.

Option1: 3650 3900KV 60amp ESC (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Upg...68deae4&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0)

Option2: 3660 3800KV 80amp ESC (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Upg...68deae4&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0)

Option3: 3660 3800KV 120amp ESC (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-x-car-120a-brushless-car-esc-sensored-sensorless.html + https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rac...40b3113&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0)

Why would the esc amp rating make the motor more powerful? I'm just asking because I'd like to know, not because I think you're wrong.

The second 2 motors use a 5mm shaft, so you would have to get 5mm pinion gears.

Why would the esc amp rating make the motor more powerful? I'm just asking because I'd like to know, not because I think you're wrong.

If all of the ESC options were capable of driving the motor at max power, there wouldn't be a difference.

That being said, both the motors he has linked are rated higher than 60A max draw. This means that if driven hard, the 60A ESC cannot fully power the motor. For those motors it is not necessary to buy a 120A ESC, unless you assume that down the line you will want something bigger.

Ok guys thanks for help. Im new in this as well so Im a bit confused with all this. But i heard somewhere if you have bigger amp draw from motor than esc can deliver it will fry the esc. Is that truth? And if I would go with 60A ESC what kV motor should i get? I dont need eather lot of speed or torque. What kV motors you run on your ruckuses? Also i have only 17t and 19t pinion will I need to buy some others?

About the frying of your esc. It will not really do that, your esc is just going to try its best of giving the motor the Amps it wants. It could end up in that if you let it get to hot... And about the pinion, I have a ecx circuit. Just a brushed setup with a 2s li-po. So I can't really help with that.

Ok guys thanks for help. Im new in this as well so Im a bit confused with all this. But i heard somewhere if you have bigger amp draw from motor than esc can deliver it will fry the esc. Is that truth? And if I would go with 60A ESC what kV motor should i get? I dont need eather lot of speed or torque. What kV motors you run on your ruckuses? Also i have only 17t and 19t pinion will I need to buy some others?

If just running 2s lipos a 60a esc will run most motors just fine. Its when you start using 3s lipos you should be looking at max amp draw specs of motors and looking at larger 80a and 120a escs.

A 3650 2800 to 3300kv motor will give you a balance of decent speed and runtime with stock brushed gearing.

I lean more to speed and power and if it was me I would go with 3660 motors but of course those motors are harder on drivetrain parts.

Last edited:
Always look at a motors max amp specs when choosing a esc. But to answer your question yes a 60a esc will work fine with a 2800-3300kv 3650 motor you could run 3s with a 60a esc (depending on quality of the esc) and those motors.

I run cheap GoolRC combos from Amazon. 3650 size anywhere from 3200kv to 5700kv. They will have plenty of power to break drive shafts. Be sure to set the slipper a little loose.
I have 1/8 MT tire/wheel combo on mine right now and can’t keep drive shafts whole through a single battery. I used 17mm hex adapters from HotRacing.

Attachments

• 8D87CFBD-0B1D-4FCB-847F-BE7D8F6C4D48.jpeg
    8D87CFBD-0B1D-4FCB-847F-BE7D8F6C4D48.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 6
Ok thanks. So if i would go with 3660 2800-3300kv can I still go 60A esc and 2s? or i need bigger esc.

Always look at a motors max amp specs when choosing a esc. But to answer your question yes a 60a esc will work fine with a 2800-3300kv 3650 motor you could run 3s with a 60a esc (depending on quality of the esc) and those motors.

Looking at your post again you said a 3660 motor I said 3650 motors 2800-3300kv on 3s so remember that. 2s with a 3660 motor and a 60a esc should be fine I ran one (3800kv) for a short time on a 60a esc. If your are to run 3s on a 3660 motor you NEED bigger than a 60a esc or you run the risk of smoking the esc. When in doubt go with a larger esc the esc will only deliver what the motor demands so having a bigger esc than needed will not hurt.

Last edited:
I run cheap GoolRC combos from Amazon. 3650 size anywhere from 3200kv to 5700kv. They will have plenty of power to break drive shafts. Be sure to set the slipper a little loose.
I have 1/8 MT tire/wheel combo on mine right now and can’t keep drive shafts whole through a single battery. I used 17mm hex adapters from HotRacing.

Whenever someone asks me about making their truck faster my response is always the same:
“How fast can you afford to go?”

I run a Castle 3800 SCT combo, along with a laundry list of other goodies, in my Ruckus. But that’s not in your price range. That said, I did a budget build for my daughter’s Arrma Granite and we went with the GoolRC combo (3960kv) with 2S LiPo and it goes good. If you’re working with a budget you don’t want it to be too fast because that will lead to parts breaking which will add up $$$. The biggest benefit of going brushless is longer run times and less maintenance. Yes, they’re much more capable than their brushed brethren, but that’s a better conversation when you’re budget is bigger.

We paid $32 for the motor/esc combo with free shipping from a US seller on eBay and picked up a couple of 2S/20c/1800mah batteries for $13/ea from a local shop (Hobby Etc in Nashua, NH). We run stock gearing and the truck goes really good despite the use of lower end parts. Yes - it could definitely use more juice than these batteries provide but the plan was to build a truck that not only out performed the stocker but did so without blowing up or breaking the bank as well as being something my 11 year old daughter was comfortable handling.

FWIW, I’d recommend no more than a 2S until you’ve learned a bit more about gearing and tuning as well as putting a couple bucks aside for replacement parts. My Castle powered Ruckus has all metal trans gears, spur gear, aluminum axles and hexes and I’ve replaced the plastic tie rods with adjustable units from Traxxas as well as all of the plastic suspension pieces being replaced with RPM parts for durability when both in and out of control due to excess speed and limited intelligence - LOL!

Last edited:
Stay safe and run a 2s for a while and when you feel like you and your car can handle it from all the drivetrain upgrades of 2s brushless go ahead and try 3s it will run hotter faster and most likely break more parts yet fun. My 3000kv kinexsis with 60 amp esc will do over 50mph (80kph) but I use steel drivetrain parts and stock 90t plastic spur with 22t steel pinion. My car is also over 5 years old and has had an upgrade every year since then and it doesn’t really look like an ecx when I take the body off lol.

Ok i bought 3650 3900kv 60A esc. It was 38$ with programmer card. I know 3900KV is maybe too much but i hope it will be fine. It should arrive in 14-30 days so i will write here my thoughts on it. Anyways thank you guys for helping me choose. Your informations was really helpfull for me a nd I belive it will be helpfull for more people in future as well. :)

3900 kv is just a little high but I ran mine on 2s for a long time and it was 4000kv with 18t pinion (48p btw) and it never had heat issues unless it was over 90°F (32°C) out side and I didn’t even want to be out. It’ll be fine

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back